McLean Creek April Long

gaar1976

Reaction score
Anyone know the current condition of McLean Creek. We would like to take the quads there on Good Friday. Is it too snowy and/or wet there for the quads? Thanks

Volksnutt

Reaction score
I was snowmobiling there last weekend. The quads have punched tracks on all the trails they love to ride on. But if you get off into the trees that is where the snow is waist deep. The snow was melting fast on sunday though.
The trails maybe a little icy on the hills but ready for the quadders.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there on tuesday. There's a foot or more in the trees, and snow everywhere except south facing slopes, but it was still fun and a quad should have no problems as long as your tires aren't worn right out.

Last edited:

gaar1976

Reaction score
Thank you. That is helpful. We'll check it out and try to stay out of the trees for the most part.

Waxy

Reaction score
Anyone know the current condition of McLean Creek. We would like to take the quads there on Good Friday. Is it too snowy and/or wet there for the quads? Thanks

Maclean Creek is closed to ATVs and dirtbikes until May 1.

I sure hope you weren't out there riding and giving us all a bad name...

Waxy

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maclean Creek is closed to ATVs and dirtbikes until May 1.

I sure hope you weren't out there riding and giving us all a bad name...

Waxy

It's open to quads now, closed to dirtbikes and 4x4's until May 1. There were tons of quads out last weekend, and big temporary signs saying no dirtbiking or 4x4's. The signs weren't out a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Waxy

Reaction score
It's open to quads now, closed to dirtbikes and 4x4's until May 1. There were tons of quads out last weekend, and big temporary signs saying no dirtbiking or 4x4's. The signs weren't out a few weeks ago.

Well, that's news to me, and definitely not how I read the regs.

It makes no sense that dirt bikes would be banned and not quads. Who's doing more damage? Same for 4X4s, I fail to see why quads would get a free pass, they're the most destructive vehicles out there...

Looks like we're all in for a change anyway according to the latest gov't announcement...

Waxy

vuldub

Reaction score
Well, that's news to me, and definitely not how I read the regs.

It makes no sense that dirt bikes would be banned and not quads. Who's doing more damage? Same for 4X4s, I fail to see why quads would get a free pass, they're the most destructive vehicles out there...

Looks like we're all in for a change anyway according to the latest gov't announcement...

Waxy
Waxy: The Bob Creek Wildland area (Whaleback, south of Chain Lakes) is only open to quads, since they "do less damage". Dirt bikes are not allowed.

Waxy

Reaction score
Waxy: The Bob Creek Wildland area (Whaleback, south of Chain Lakes) is only open to quads, since they "do less damage". Dirt bikes are not allowed.

No offense to the quad guys out there, but this is total BS.

Anyone can look at a single track dirtbike trail, and then look at the trails used by quads, and see which one is doing the damage and leaving behind the bigger footprint.

It sure as heck ain't the dirtbikes...

Waxy

gaar1976

Reaction score
There were tons of quads out. The gates were closed to prevent 4x4s and signs were up to say that no 4x4 traffic was permitted until May 1. I saw no signs that said quadding was restricted, nor, apparently, did all the other riders as well.

Reaction score
Website
www.bowcyclesouth.com
Where did you find this information. a bunch of us are going out on sunday and well where i can read this info would be a hudge bennifet and not getting tickets would be nice

found some info here for all the questions.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Calgary Quad Squad is having ride on Sat April 25, 2009 at McLean Creek,

The AOHVA. is having a General Meeting in Ardrie on the Sun April 26, 2009.

Bruce.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone can look at a single track dirtbike trail, and then look at the trails used by quads, and see which one is doing the damage and leaving behind the bigger footprint.

Waxy

I agree completely. Newer mud tires on quads can rip things up in a hurry. But right now, the quad trails are pretty good to ride on, either dry or frozen underneath. Plus, a lot are old seismic lines anyway. I think the rationale is that if we stay off the single track until it's more or less dry, then there will be way less ruts and erosion, and they'll be good to go without maintenance, except for fallen trees.

vuldub

Reaction score
Where did you find this information. a bunch of us are going out on sunday and well where i can read this info would be a hudge bennifet and not getting tickets would be nice

found some info here for all the questions.

Your link is broken, try here:

See the bottom:
Note: In the McLean Creek OHV Zone from Dec. 1 to April 30th, use is restricted to snowmobiles and OHV
with 3 or more flotation tires, not exceeding 450 kg.

vuldub

Reaction score
No offense to the quad guys out there, but this is total BS.

Waxy
Waxy: Not that I subscibe to the logic, but the idea is that four floation tires on quad less that 800lbs does less damage than dirt bike. They are not talking about mud tires on the quad.

Waxy

Reaction score
Waxy: Not that I subscibe to the logic, but the idea is that four floation tires on quad less that 800lbs does less damage than dirt bike. They are not talking about mud tires on the quad.

Maybe in the old days of gutless quads and the big balloon tires with 1/2" knobs, but not anymore.

I wouldn't classify any of the tires on quads these days as "floatation" tires, and 90% of them now have the power to do some serious damage. Not only that, but it seems like over half the quads out there are lifted and have some kind of super aggressive aftermarket mud tires on them, and those things REALLY make a mess.

I think this is a law that needs to be revisited, for everyone's benefit, including the quad guys. The new rules coming down as part of the LUF and the new parks initiatives recently announced are going to really hit us hard, and we ALL need to be aware of that and be proactive.

The public sees mud and torn up areas - I'm not being a jerk when I say that the majority of that damage, other than the really obvious 4X4 areas, is due to quads, it's simply the fact of the matter - and they want it stopped. Staying out of areas like that, especially ones in plain sight, when the ground is soft and muddy during spring breakup is just common sense, and something we're all going to have to get used to.

Anyhoo, enough of a rant from me. There's room for everyone out there, we just have to be smart about it. The OHV community has become a lightning rod for the public's "green" efforts these days, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Waxy

P.S. I fully support the dirtbike ban at Maclean until May 1, in fact, I wouldn't mind seeing it extended a little bit until it actually thaws and dries up out there. A little bit of patience now by everyone means the trails are in way better shape when the season really gets going.

Skyhigh

Reaction score
I agree that May 1 is a funny time to be opening the area up to bikes and especially trucks. This time of year is when the ground is softest and it doesn't make any sense to open it to the heaviest vehicles at the worst time. Isn't this when spring breakup is on in the patch for the exact same reason? These heavy vehicles should be allowed on when the ground is frozen, not as the frost is coming out!

Top Bottom