Maverick vs Wildcat questions

M0FuK1Dy

Reaction score
Hey all, Any of you had a chance to rip it up with in Wildcat and a Maverick? Me and a buddy are looking to get a couple side by sides this coming spring. I'm set on getting the Mav but he's holding to the Wildcat souly because of the suspension travel. Now typically, I just get what I want, he gets what he wants, but we're also considering the idea of getting a deal from the dealer on grabbing 2 Mavericks (I won't pull to the cat)

I'm just curious to know what everyone's opinions are. I know the cats have had their issues in the past, but have they been fixed with the new Wildcat X. Also, how do they handle in these tight Alberta trails? A guy I know basically said they're good for the desert and going in a straight line.

One complaint I've heard about the Mav is the seat position. Is it really THAT bad and is it possible to shim it to change the position a bit.

Oh and also, Rzr is out of the question as I am WAY to tall for it. I fit in the Wildcat and Maverick fine, but, my buddy at 5'6 gets into the kiddy Rzr easier then I can get into the full size 900. I'd be stitching up my knees after every ride LOL

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a maverick this spring, another buddy has last years wildcat, the cats 78hp shows up real quick and the extra clearance mav is sweet, I also prefer the ride in the rought of the maverick, but power sterring is a must, on the maverick if long days is what your after, mileage of the maverick has been much better than the poos and cats

M0FuK1Dy

Reaction score
Ha. You answered another question I forgot to ask. We are toying with the idea of taking them into the sticks for a few days camp so mileage would be important. Thanks

Another problem we're having is finding a test drive on the kitty cat. Stogens here in Grande Prairie was more then happy to let us try our foot in a Mav and a Commander, even got to drag race them down the road. Cat dealers got them all bottled up and governed which is making it difficult for him to make a decision. Spending $40-50g between the 2 of us, we want to know what we're buying lol

Last edited:

Daniel475

Reaction score
Maverick for sure , nothing against the wild cat just seen them perform in the san, not very impressive at all , but I have never seen them on gravel roads im sure they would be fine but a maverick would be a better all around if that's what your looking for , fit and finish on them is awesome and they look badass

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friends wildcat X outperforms my maverick in every way. Mud. Hills. Suspension. Acceleration. Ground clearance. Proper seat position. And so far he has over a 1000 km of rat bagging on his x with no repairs. This last weekend I raced my neighbors xp900 5 times. It beat the Mav by a length every time. Both machines on pavement and stock tires.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friends wildcat X outperforms my maverick in every way. Mud. Hills. Suspension. Acceleration. Ground clearance. Proper seat position. And so far he has over a 1000 km of rat bagging on his x with no repairs. This last weekend I raced my neighbors xp900 5 times. It beat the Mav by a length every time. Both machines on pavement and stock tires.

interesting. i beat an xp900 by 3+ lengths on pavement...and he even got a much better start than me. is the x a new engine? because there have been a few third party comparisions which clearly show the wildcat far behind in the "sand/climbing" portion anyways.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting. i beat an xp900 by 3+ lengths on pavement...and he even got a much better start than me. is the x a new engine? because there have been a few third party comparisions which clearly show the wildcat far behind in the "sand/climbing" portion anyways.

The wildcat X has upgraded clutching and is now pushing 95 hp. There was a episode of dirtrax tv that compared the xp 900, maverick and wildcat X and they chose the wildcat X as there favorite ride!

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you cant fit the 900xp, have you tried the new 1000? Supposed to be the best performer and it has better leg room. How much more, Im not sure.

M0FuK1Dy

Reaction score
The wildcat X has upgraded clutching and is now pushing 95 hp. There was a episode of dirtrax tv that compared the xp 900, maverick and wildcat X and they chose the wildcat X as there favorite ride!

I seen that episode. The chose the X mostly because of the suspension and seating position. It's got the look and feel of a stripped down race car. I'm still sold on the Mav, but this is info my buddy would like

Ha, you're in Abbotsford. lol, I moved out here from there.

Korey

Reaction score
I know u said rzr is out of the question just wondering if you checked out the new rzr 1000?

M0FuK1Dy

Reaction score
I know u said rzr is out of the question just wondering if you checked out the new rzr 1000?

I'll have to have a look at it. My biggest problem is being that I'm 6'6 and 245lbs, the other Rzrs are very cramped for me with my knees touching the dash and such. I see the new 1000 has adjustable seats and more leg room. I'll look into it, but I've never been a fan of Polaris. I feel if I bought one I'd probably be stuck with the thought "I should have bought the can am." I'm a Yamaha guy at heart and love my YFZ450 but I don't like the Rhino, so my next pick would be the Mav.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen that episode. The chose the X mostly because of the suspension and seating position. It's got the look and feel of a stripped down race car. I'm still sold on the Mav, but this is info my buddy woul

Ha, you're in Abbotsford. lol, I moved out here from there.

Come on Abbotsford is not that bad! lol!

Shovelking780

Reaction score
I just picked up a new RZR 1000 there is lots of room just as much as the cat and the mav. Give them a chance they are a pretty cool machine definitely deserve a look.

M0FuK1Dy

Reaction score
I just picked up a new RZR 1000 there is lots of room just as much as the cat and the mav. Give them a chance they are a pretty cool machine definitely deserve a look.

We'll check them out but like I said, I've never been a huge fan of Polaris and I'd have to have buyers remorse and wish I bought something else. My buddy on the other hand is a bit more unbiased so we'll pop in on one this weekend. Thanks.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the new wildcat X and its awesome, I have only had a teryx, rzr s, rhinos, and have ridden with xp900 and the wildcat is awesome.. definitely best bang for the buck, under 17g I could still supercharge it and be cheaper than a xp 1000..

Top Bottom