March Conditions

APEX 1

Reaction score
How was the riding in the Renshaw this weekend March 21st , does the parking lot at the Renshaw have any snow on it or is it all dirt.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple of stuck pics from Dore on Friday...and a small drop at Renshaw on Saturday just past Spirit Lake. Broke trail from the saddle and had the place to ourselves till a couple sleds pulled in as we were leaving. Eight in our group and we did our best to rip it up.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 56

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that was km 5, very deep. Rod and I went to Blue to collect Albert's sled today. What a crappy deal, a true good guy and a freind to all. Was sick when I got the call Sat. nite. Words will not describe how sorry I feel for the family. Massive slide off that slope, some spots we think the collection area was 30 feet deep, still in shock.
Got the sled out and loaded on the truck at about 3:00 this afternoon, hope the boys made it home by now.
All avy deaths are sad but I have to say this one really hurts.
R.I.P Albert

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
yes that was km 5, very deep. Rod and i went to blue to collect albert's sled today. What a crappy deal, a true good guy and a freind to all. Was sick when i got the call sat. Nite. Words will not describe how sorry i feel for the family. Massive slide off that slope, some spots we think the collection area was 30 feet deep, still in shock.
Got the sled out and loaded on the truck at about 3:00 this afternoon, hope the boys made it home by now.
All avy deaths are sad but i have to say this one really hurts.
R.i.p albert

don't think boys quite back yet...... Ron's coming over for a tea, and we'll try and talk him into staying the nite.....

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
Hey There
Help, I was checking the forum out and I came across some pictures of huge avalanches. I am now looking for them to show my hubby and I can't find the bloody pics. Can someone guide me in the right direction. Please.

THX.

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
Barry, we where in Dore when the slides came down, none when we went in. Pictures are of the biggest slide at about KM20? Thought we were trapped...about 2 hours to get a trail around the slide. As I stated before this slide was at least 350 yards wide, up to 40' deep, 15' crevaces like a lava flow and the amazing part was the run out. The terrain at the base of the mountain is almost flat and the length of snow at this depth was about 1KM long. The entire mountain must have let go at the top. This slide incompased the previos runout area in all directions and took out every tree in its way. This was wet heavy rained on snow, if some one would have been on the trail I don't think they would have had time to get out of the way. I do not believe a bag would help in this type of a slide, a scary sight.There was another slide at about KM12, Pic #3&4. The third slide was at KM6 on the sharp bend. It was stacked about 40 to 50' high across the road. We had to do about an 80' drop down the bank onto the river ice, go around the slide and make a track up through the trees. Some trees were sacraficed (saws are carried for a reason)to make the trail up but it was getting dark and we wanted out. Your pics look like KM5 which is the first slide area which had not come down when were there on Friday. Barry, I hope you are not have to do what I'm thinking...I would not want that job. :(We were just glad to get out with no injuries.:)

Great Pictures... Pretty Scary.... We are thinking of going out in April. Hopefully the big ones will have come odwn by than. RIDE SAFE FELLOW SLEDDERS!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that was km 5, very deep. Rod and I went to Blue to collect Albert's sled today. What a crappy deal, a true good guy and a freind to all. Was sick when I got the call Sat. nite. Words will not describe how sorry I feel for the family. Massive slide off that slope, some spots we think the collection area was 30 feet deep, still in shock.
All avy deaths are sad but I have to say this one really hurts.
R.I.P Albert

I was worried you were doing this by what you said on one of you previous posts, I don't know the person but My thoughts are with his family.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:UNBELIEVABLE!!!:eek::eek::eek:

That must have sent a shiver down your spine.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Barry, we where in Dore when the slides came down, none when we went in. Pictures are of the biggest slide at about KM20? Thought we were trapped...about 2 hours to get a trail around the slide. As I stated before this slide was at least 350 yards wide, up to 40' deep, 15' crevaces like a lava flow and the amazing part was the run out. The terrain at the base of the mountain is almost flat and the length of snow at this depth was about 1KM long. The entire mountain must have let go at the top. This slide incompased the previos runout area in all directions and took out every tree in its way. This was wet heavy rained on snow, if some one would have been on the trail I don't think they would have had time to get out of the way. I do not believe a bag would help in this type of a slide, a scary sight....

Incredible photos. WOW.
These aren't likely the last of these types of events. Once the slopes heat up and the mid-pack loses strength, there is nothing in the base that is capable of holding the snow on the hill. This can lead to deep releases (deep crown lines) and avalanches overrunning their previous boundaries and carving new paths through the trees.

The facets and depth hoar simply grew too large this early season and this layer never had a chance to make significant changes for the better.

Take care out there guys. I feel like a mother with more than 2500 kids that I worry about every weekend, Lori Z. :(

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say that after going to Blue and standing where a fellow sledder and friend was hit and killed by an avy, Rod and I have rethought some of the stuff we had planned. We have always considered ourselfs fairly safe riders but this was an eye opener. We talked alot about some of the areas we ride together and how similar the terrain is, not going to be riding them this year. Our spring riding will be confined to stuff that we know is good to go not the stuff we like to save for the end of the year. We were going to bail on a 3 day avy course for S&R but now will be there for sure, this will be my third course. You can never have enough info and as witnessed this past weekend, all the training in the world sometimes is not enough, wrong place at exactly the wrong time spells disaster. This avy was not triggered by humans, south slope, late afternoon and a warm sunny day. You go in to take a look and take 5 seconds to long to decide that it is not safe and turn to leave, to late. More could be said but not in public forum at this time.
There is still alot of riding left this year and alot of safe places to play in, I hope that all, like myself that are going to continue to sled this year do it in these safe places and we all go home at the end of the day on our sleds and not in a stretcher.
Thanks for you time.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BBtoys, I have some buddies coming to Renshaw Friday and Saturday. They know the area pretty well, and say it's safer than most areas. But considering all the Avalanche talk, is the Renshaw going to be a safe place to be this weekend? I don't know the area that well, but I said I'd ask someone who is very familiar with the area and get back to them.

Top Bottom