March conditions 2015

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest Avy I ever saw was heading into north Dore via the Dore river Rd access (now closed)back in 07-08 at the waterfall. I have pics of that Avy.
If I remember right there is 4-5 runouts on the way into North Dore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest Avy I ever saw was heading into north Dore via the Dore river Rd access (now closed)back in 07-08 at the waterfall. I have pics of that Avy.
If I remember right there is 4-5 runouts on the way into North Dore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a great place to ride.

hyrk

Reaction score
20150322_192146_resized.jpg 20150322_182025_resized.jpg

Just a section of south Dore is open but is not accessible from the Dore River Road. You have to use Castle Creek Road I believe.

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Rode Belle today, parking lot pretty muddy, trail was mud and snow for about the first km. Then good all the way up.
Up top at the cabin it was pretty pounded we headed just over big bell to the bowl there which was untouched. That was pretty pounded once we finished with it, snow in there was 1' snow. Then headed towards the burn, stopped midway for a campfire and some dogs. Played for a bit, snow was about 12-14"
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427085028.837168.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427085085.053925.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427085115.453554.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427085131.837317.jpg

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad to hear, condolences to family and friends.

As others have said know your area and ride to your AST1 training.
Dore is an out of the way area and you have to cross the base of 5 large runout areas to get there. These areas typically slide at least once per year and some are huge slides. Largest runout I have seen was 25-40' deep, 300yds across and 500yds long.
A few years back 4 big slides came down across the trail in one day while we were in Dore.
Lori at Zacs has some of the pictures.

It is spring time and some of those rain/ice layers may be starting to release with the snow pack's daily freeze thaw cycles as we cross the -2 to +2 danger zone. Eyes up to the chutes when crossing one at a time.
No details yet as to what hppened but ride alert/smart.
flying over yesterday, you could see a lot of the shuts you talk about had slide yesterday or day before. very steep back there. it was in center dore randy, in the valley, not closure area. you will be able to figure out where it was I am sure. nasty place.
be careful out there everybody.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh by the way, woke up this am to a white town. snowed in town last nite, second day of spring I think.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
One of the names of a fellow sledder has now been released, He was Tom Hamilton, from Ponoka, he leaves behind his wife and 2 kids. Tom was an avid snowmobiler. RIP.

The other name will not be released on Snowandmud until the media releases the name. I have received a great deal of PM's and texts regarding this.

Also to clarify the area where this happened was at Dore and was outside a caribou closure area. Dore is not a regular riding area and is more extreme. It is not serviced by the local snowmobile club.

I would also like to thanks to the Robson Valley Search and Rescue. This is a totally thankless job that volunteers but every hour of there last two days. these people worked hard to bring the victims back to there families. Hats off to you.

Top Bottom