mapping software - what do you use?

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can get the mapsourse to work no luck with the free stuff the ibycus stuff looks good, looked at much of it on youtube but no luck with the mac

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can get the mapsourse to work no luck with the free stuff the ibycus stuff looks good, looked at much of it on youtube but no luck with the mac

:nono: You can not expect to get any help from Garmin on any product that they do not put out.:eek: There has to be some MAC users out there that are in to this fun thing, GPS. Send ibycus, Dale Atkin an email at ibycus.com do a search.:rolleyes:

Bruce.

wayupnorth

Reaction score
sorry guys.

real life got REALLY buisy last month or so.

i am finally back to a normal work rotation and back to playing.

i basically paused my work on the GPS stuff so im taking over from where i left off.
my dad just picked up a mobile GPS as well, so now we have 2 of us who are back road GPS virgins working on this.

what i finally decided to so was try a couple different programs and see what looks good.

i just tonight ordered up that official Garmin west canada, so that is coming in the mail.

i picked up 2 SD cards and i DLed the free ibycus off utorrents so ill try to slap one of those on a card and see what i can see.

3rd-lly and 4th-lly i have been offered a cheap price on the oild patch one and i have a friend who is the operations manager for one of the biggest logging companys up here.
so if the first 2 options dont work well ill go into the 3rd and 4th.

so here is what im hoping to do.
im hoping that with all the info you guys gave me and what i learn from fumbling around on my own as a newbie to this off road GPS stuff, i will come back and post up what i found and what worked and didnt work.

hopefully save the next new person all the indecision and pain i have gone through so far trying to get all this going.

wish me luck!

(ps about the bison hunt that you can do up here, the ones on the east side of the road north of high level, the wood buffalo bison, the reason you can hunt them without a draw is that they have TB. im not sure if there are any safty or cooking concerns with them, but you may wanna look into it before you go hunt one down and go home with 800lbs of meat)

wayupnorth

Reaction score
if anyone knows how to get ahold of the fella (Dale Atkin) from ibycus.com can you tell him that his email is dead.

i went there to order one of the cd/dvd's and you cant contact him to order it.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought the v4 maps by Garmin from Maptown here in calgary. great map.
it has had all the trails i've needed so far and sometimes it has some in areas that i didn't even know they existed.
it can also be rendered in 3D when using on a computer, or if you have the right GPS unit.

wayupnorth

Reaction score
that is what i was going to originally do is pick up the Garmin Topo Canada, but when i went to the Gamin wed site they have it listed there, but it isnt stocked anymore.
which made me wonder if they where not selling it anymore or not stocking it for some reason.

so i ended up getting the Garmin west canada topo.
(my GPS came with the US Topo)

i was finally able to find a Utorrent Ibycus 3.2 and got that last night.

i also ordered a copy straight from the web site on DVD.

and ill probablly pick up a Garmin Canada Topo just so i have absolutlly EVERYTHING that i can get, hahaha.

...... just as long as the wife dosnt see the credit card statement i should be good!
(with me luck!)

Brens4

Reaction score
Hi,

My first post here.

I live in Peace River and do a little quading.

I just wanted to mention that I put both the Ibycus vr 2.1 and 3.2 in Mapsource. I notice that the 2.1 vr has a lot more trails compared to the 3.2 version. A person might want to compare both for your area. I got both using torrent links. I have compared them to the Backroad map book that I have and it is close in detail to vr 2 Ibycus

I find that they both have more detail than Garmin topo v4.

Rod

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My first post here.

I live in Peace River and do a little quading.

I just wanted to mention that I put both the Ibycus vr 2.1 and 3.2 in Mapsource. I notice that the 2.1 vr has a lot more trails compared to the 3.2 version. A person might want to compare both for your area. I got both using torrent links. I have compared them to the Backroad map book that I have and it is close in detail to vr 2 Ibycus

I find that they both have more detail than Garmin topo v4.

Rod

Rod, you are correct, the V 2.1 has more data on it. ibycus, Dale Atkin, now has a Topo Canada V 4.0 out (available) March 15+-2011. and it now has the V 2.1 data that the Canadian Governmen had removed from their data bank's. This DVD is again available off the Torrent links or a $25.00 donation via Paypal to Dale Atkin on his site. :cool:

Bruce.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so any new info which will give more accurate detail/

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so any new info which will give more accurate detail/
stay away from maps imdooin!!! You can not read them!!!! I will run the electronics, you stick to pole dancing!

(The link is a torrent file anyways...and there were no seeders, so no file)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh i miss a trail by 500 ft on a real accute angle less tha 30 degrees and this is what i get. oh yeah you didn't want to go on that friggin nasty trail from hell. i left most of my azz there as i recall. hehe yeah but i need to find the truck once in a while

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i have etopo maps from maptown calgary, it is just like having 2000 or so topomaps from the canadian government, they also will work with your gps but so will google earth. They are great to print out and take with you but the jackasses who designed the software are over concerned with piracy this makes installing the software painfull at times. Some times it is just cheaper to go out and buy a new gps that comes with all the software preinstalled than trying to buy mapping software. You can have google earth quality anywhere in the world.... well at least with mine anyway

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Download the Ibycus software its much better than the Garmin topo

Home

He also has some you tube videos on his site on how to use it

Use u torrent to download it

µTorrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

^^^ this ^^^ the utube vid is easy to folllow, and the download of the torrent doesnt take anywhere near 15-20 hours, i did it last fall and followed the utube video was done in about 2 hours

Top Bottom