Major spring avalanches - Elkford, BC

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The main riding area, Koko Claims, in Elkford is avalanche prone at all times of the year. Spring is always sketchy. This is a guide for those who may or may not know the area. Most of the avalanches can and do run full path to size 3+. Even the groomed trail can be dangerous was there are some very unsuspecting or hidden chutes. I can't stress it enough; PLAY SAFE out there.....

Major spring avalanches - Elkford, BC - YouTube

jdaniel

Reaction score
Awesome job on that one Doug. Thank-you very much. I will be recomending it to many. I was surprised at the size of the avalanche at 2:17 in Smiths. Probably used to climb that one back in the day. I am puzzled on the sound track though.
Know it, have not heard it for a while, can't recall it. Need that good memory of mine back...can't remember where it went!

Dan

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Awesome job on that one Doug. Thank-you very much. I will be recomending it to many. I was surprised at the size of the avalanche at 2:17 in Smiths. Probably used to climb that one back in the day. I am puzzled on the sound track though.
Know it, have not heard it for a while, can't recall it. Need that good memory of mine back...can't remember where it went!

Dan

Wild Child by Enya. Sort of thought it fit quite well with the material.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The main riding area, Koko Claims, in Elkford is avalanche prone at all times of the year. Spring is always sketchy. This is a guide for those who may or may not know the area. Most of the avalanches can and do run full path to size 3+. Even the groomed trail can be dangerous was there are some very unsuspecting or hidden chutes. I can't stress it enough; PLAY SAFE out there.....

Major spring avalanches - Elkford, BC - YouTube

Great work Doug your Time & Efforts to keep us safe are greatly Appreciated.
Have a great summer hope to ride with you again.

Shawn

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Great work Doug your Time & Efforts to keep us safe are greatly Appreciated.
Have a great summer hope to ride with you again.

Shawn

Not quite summer out here yet. Rode Saturday and Friday and there is still lots of snow. Just a little set-up right now.

Thanks for the accolades and keep the rubber down Shawn.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
About 6 years ago we rode in early morning and played in Waynes world and tundra all day. on our way out the first path on the trail had come down sometime during the day. it buried the trail under about 30feet. sure an eye opener. kinda makes me want to slap people that say they dont need avy gear and training because they only ride groomed trails. I dont think alot of people realize what can come from above. Do you have any pictures of the huge slide path and debris pile in mear lake. That one wiped out some huge timber. Thanks for the vid. Cheers

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
About 6 years ago we rode in early morning and played in Waynes world and tundra all day. on our way out the first path on the trail had come down sometime during the day. it buried the trail under about 30feet. sure an eye opener. kinda makes me want to slap people that say they dont need avy gear and training because they only ride groomed trails. I dont think alot of people realize what can come from above. Do you have any pictures of the huge slide path and debris pile in mear lake. That one wiped out some huge timber. Thanks for the vid. Cheers

You know, I looked and looked for that but I'm thinking those pictures were lost with changing computers over the years. I just got a brain wave tho' and I'll see what I can come up with.

Wayne's World in the spring is quite sketchy. That's a place where one wants to find a safe place, eat lunch, and just watch and listen to the rumblings.

I doo have a picture of a tragic avi from Tundra but decided not to use it out of respect for those involved.

crazeejames

Reaction score
Fernie, If the pic of the Tundra Avalanche is the one my group was involved in with the fatality, feel free to post it. The more aware people are, the better decisions they can make. If you don't want to post it, I would appreciate being sent a copy. I have a few pics, but they are just from a crappy cell phone camera.

Top Bottom