Major spring avalanches Elkford, BC

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The main riding area, Koko Claims, in Elkford is avalanche prone at all times of the year. Spring is always sketchy. This is a guide for those who may or may not know the area. Most of the avalanches can and do run full path to size 3+. Even the groomed trail can be dangerous was there are some very unsuspecting or hidden chutes. I can't stress it enough; PLAY SAFE out there.....

Major spring avalanches - Elkford, BC - YouTube

jdaniel

Reaction score
Nice job, doug....... Guessn' the season is pretty much over in elkford?

On sunday there was a couple trucks parked at the Trail head of koko, and the Trail looked good as soon as you entered the trees. It's snowing out today!

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the video FS> this was our first season on sleds and managed two days in those areas, Definitely noticed most of those paths on the way in. Looking forward to many more days in that area!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'll report back after the weekend as we will be up top tomorrow. Gotta keep up the Mother's Day tradition; been 11 years of riding up there with the boys, the mother, and the pappa (and most times with a grandchild). A great time of year and it looks like this year it will be blue-bird, heehaw!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Reporting back; it was +18 and blue-bird. Staged at the Elkford access and for this time of year the trail was in the best shape ever. No rocks in the canyon! There was a little dirt/rocks but it wasn't even carbide wreckers this year.

Smith Basin, mainly for the annual Mother's Day tradition and one last ski run for the oldest son. Three pictures; our step-grandson, a total newbie (first time on a sled) on the 2001 Summit Limited Edition MXZ, is hooked, The Mother (my better half) with a small jump on the hero snow, and our son doing a 1000' vertical hike for 20 seconds of rush on the skis.

A short video will be up after the weekend. Here are a couple of pictures for now.

IMG_1155.jpg IMG_1154.jpg IMG_1148.jpg

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reporting back; it was +18 and blue-bird. Staged at the Elkford access and for this time of year the trail was in the best shape ever. No rocks in the canyon! There was a little dirt/rocks but it wasn't even carbide wreckers this year.

Smith Basin, mainly for the annual Mother's Day tradition and one last ski run for the oldest son. Three pictures; our step-grandson, a total newbie (first time on a sled) on the 2001 Summit Limited Edition MXZ, is hooked, The Mother (my better half) with a small jump on the hero snow, and our son doing a 1000' vertical hike for 20 seconds of rush on the skis.

A short video will be up after the weekend. Here are a couple of pictures for now.

Looks like I missed a good one this year - hope you and your Family had a great time! Say a Happy Mothers Day to better half for me!
PS. I think she's starting to ride harder that you:confused:.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Looks like I missed a good one this year - hope you and your Family had a great time! Say a Happy Mothers Day to better half for me!
PS. I think she's starting to ride harder that you:confused:.

She was riding harder then Doug last season when I rode with them.
hehehe
Have a great Summer

Someone's gotta take pictures of you guys. H*ll, I don't even see you take a camera out let alone use one?? What's with that?

If I could teach her to work the camera like I taught her to ride, I'd be set!

She's got no "time to waste" and loves the riding. A little whip lash from this ride so she now has experienced the "hard snow" landing. Next year will be another page in our history book!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did take it out temporarily, just your wife was the only one showing off!!:beer::beer:

and checkout the snow line on the way home.... pretty neat i thought!

Attachments

• IMG_2703A.jpg
    IMG_2703A.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2711A.jpg
    IMG_2711A.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 178
Top Bottom