Made the Old Mountain Cat a bit better...

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a 5 inch raiser on my boys Mountain Cat tonight. What a difference from stock. :rolleyes: Can't wait to give it a rip.

Attachments

• 2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010001.jpg
    2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010001.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010003.jpg
    2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010003.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010004.jpg
    2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010004.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010005.jpg
    2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010005.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010007.jpg
    2009_0315ZacsRaiserMC20010007.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 45

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm gonna put risers on my MC this offseason, but I figure I'll stick with a 2 or 3 inch so I don't have to screw around with cable extensions. It's hard to lay it over stock I figure extensions will help....I'm only 5'6 so I shouldent need to go more than 2-3""

you figure?

Bogger

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my suspension is my more pressing issue, I changed out the springs and limiters this fall but I still bottom out hard on the whoop-di-do's so I figure this summer I'll change out the front and rear shocks, I've also got to figure out my chain and track tension, just bought a new 70P 11wide chain and went back to stock sprockets but my chain tensioner is close to maxed right off the bat...this weekend I noticed my track was too lose (had it front end up on a snowbank to check on my rad) and I could put my whole arm between the track and rails, plus it would slip on the drivers....but when I tightened it up and burried it in the deep I couldent get the track to spin...losened it off and it was good, but now slips on the drivers again under high torque....I'm gonna learn that sled inside out this summer.

wildf

Reaction score
I've also got a 5" riser for my boys 01 800 mountain cat, when I took the cover off the handlebars found a 2" riser already in from factory. So bought throttle extention and brake extention only to find out that the brake line would not fit into the resevoir on handle bars, so put it back stock for now till dealer could figure out why? Supposed to be the right one. Does not look like you put brake line extention on, not needed? Any info would be appreciated.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also got a 5" riser for my boys 01 800 mountain cat, when I took the cover off the handlebars found a 2" riser already in from factory. So bought throttle extention and brake extention only to find out that the brake line would not fit into the resevoir on handle bars, so put it back stock for now till dealer could figure out why? Supposed to be the right one. Does not look like you put brake line extention on, not needed? Any info would be appreciated.

I recently added a Power Madd 2" riser ( in addition to the factor riser block). The throttle cable just barely makes it for length but the brake line needed an extension ( no excess length). Instead of a whole new brake line - I extended the line using a 8" stainless steel tube 3/16" dia SAE brake line extension from Parts Source. I disconnected the brake line at the caliper and pulled the flexible line up the steering post and handle bar and bent the extension line to fit near the oil reservior . Make sure you buy the 3/16" coupling and the brake line extension ( with the spring bend relief ). The extension and coupler cost me less than $10 compared to the $70 longer. brake line. I didn't have to mess with the brake reservoir fitting on the handle bar. Everything worked out great so far. Good luck :beer:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotty, roughly what did it cost to do the riser for the cat? I'm thinking of going up 2".

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my suspension is my more pressing issue, I changed out the springs and limiters this fall but I still bottom out hard on the whoop-di-do's so I figure this summer I'll change out the front and rear shocks, I've also got to figure out my chain and track tension, just bought a new 70P 11wide chain and went back to stock sprockets but my chain tensioner is close to maxed right off the bat...this weekend I noticed my track was too lose (had it front end up on a snowbank to check on my rad) and I could put my whole arm between the track and rails, plus it would slip on the drivers....but when I tightened it up and burried it in the deep I couldent get the track to spin...losened it off and it was good, but now slips on the drivers again under high torque....I'm gonna learn that sled inside out this summer.
The best way is to lift the machine from the back bumper and let the track adn suspension dangle. Wtih 20 lbs tension ( pulling down on the track towards the floor) there should be 1.25 to 1.75 inches of daylight. This is the factory setting - I have mine a bit more loose than factory ( about 2" ) to make it easier to turn.

:beer:

psycoticmudder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to extend your brakes you pick up 6 inch brake line and coupler from parts store and 4prong trailer plug 1ft with both end and extend you power

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me thinks this is becomming more of a another sled for Dad and less for the boy.

Like the Crossfire I bought for my wife......;)

Bucky

Reaction score
That sure looks like a big riser...something for the youngen to grow into perhaps?;)

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotty, roughly what did it cost to do the riser for the cat? I'm thinking of going up 2".
You can get a simple riser 2" block made by Power Madd for $40. On my 98 powder special that I had - I could install 2" rise no problem without throttle cable or brake line extensions.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a simple riser 2" block made by Power Madd for $40. On my 98 powder special that I had - I could install 2" rise no problem without throttle cable or brake line extensions.

Thank you Zar, super thankful. Mothers day is coming up.:d:d:d

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wildf... the 5" riser only raises the bars 3.25" from stock as the stock cast riser is replaced, that 's right.

Sleddingmom... I got this 5" riser from Ole's Machine south of the boarder, Google it, he is awesome to deal with and many of my riding buddies have also purchased from him, nice perfectly fitting hardware, just make sure you order yours year/modle specific :rolleyes: Cost around $60.00 usd?? with stainless steel bolts/washers.

Madpow... we'll have to compare notes on the hadling after I get a chance to ride it... next project is M series/Crossfire handle bars instead of the older MC style bars that are on it. :)

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me thinks this is becomming more of a another sled for Dad and less for the boy.

Like the Crossfire I bought for my wife......;)

ZRrrr... how dare you insinuate that I would put my own interests before my own kid's?? That ridiculous :nono: He can see perfectly over the bars if he stands on the seat!!! :d:d Yah yur right... ;) this was deffinately an experiment for Dads enjoyment, but Zac was already learning to side hill, he needed the extra leverage. :rolleyes: Has your wife takin a liking to the Crossfire? :d

Green=Go... you will soon be doing the same for Riley on his 500... I'd suggest a couple years from now though. :):)

Bucky... I've had the sled for over a month already, I thought for sure a 13 year old would have grown a couple inches in that time ??? :d

Top Bottom