M8 Turbo Air Box

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has had issues with the aluminum air box blowing off there boondocker turbo kit? It has happened twice on me now... and the second time it happened first pull of the day right after i fixed it the first time... if anybody else has had this problem with the air box blowing off and losing boost and have solved the problem could you give me a hand with this?

I have thought about tac welding the machined aluminum rings that connect the air box to the throttle boddies?.... just tac them to the air box... and hope the O ring can hold onto the throttle boddies by itself? any other fixes for this?

Thanks,
Ryan

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there should be a flange that sticks out from the airbox towards the throttle bodies with a metal peice underneith it that is attached with a bolt. This bracket is supposed to hook onto your throttle bodies and when you tighten up the bolt it locks the two together. Maybe the bracket that the bolt hooks to has become bent and isn't grabbing the throttle bodies properly anymore.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea the "Z" bracket with the rubber stopper on the one side... bolts onto the auxilary fuel rail... yea its on the sled... it keeps the tops on for sure but its the bottom that is blowing off.... i don't know what a guy needs to do in order to keep it on... silicone along with the Oring? maybe keep it from sliding... thats what i am goign to try first... see how that works... if it blows off again the machined rings are getting tac welded to the air box. I have wasted enough weekends driving all the way to the mountains to spring a boost leak first pull and ride on 7.5 lbs boost for the rest of the weekend.

But if anybody has a better solution to tac welding... feel free!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought tha M8 kits had the same z bracket on the bottom side of the airbox just like the 1000's. It hooks onto the bracket on the bottom side of the throttle bodies tha tie the two thr bodies together so then it cant blow off.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope, not on the new kit... this years kit and last years kits are different... and to tell you the real truth... the biggest problem is that the bottom blows off and then the boost pressure peels the Oring out of place and blows it through the engine... twice! this past time i knew exactly when it happened... blew the box off... engine made a pop sound due to the sudden loss in pressure yet im still wide open and i noticed a small little puff of black out the exhaust... im not 100percent sure... but i think that little puff was the Oring going out.

Anyways i just called boondocker and they are aware of this problem and they have a fix for it... some T bracket i guess is supposed to solve the issue... supposed to be on its way. not sure if it will make it in time for the weekend tho... hopefully. a bracket on the bottom would be top notch as far as keeping the air box on... might be a bit of a battle getting the throttle boddies out... but none the less hope this fix will have it running top notch!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bottom bracket should fix it as a buddy had that set-up on his M1000 and ran it at 16+lbs boost and it didn't blow off.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea im lookin to run 13 lbs for the rest of this year and maybe next year i'll bump it up to 16... we'll see how things hold up @ 13 lbs boost for a few weekends.

Top Bottom