m8 secondary teardown......HOW?

potoski

Reaction score
I want to open up my secondary clutch for a good cleaning and don't know where to start. I've got it off and I'm getting a new primary as the weights and rollers are toast.please help.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will need a spring compressor, a GOOD torx bit, impact driver, and likely a little heat. Once apart, check the bushings, install a new spring, clean the clutches thoughly in warm soapy water, and scotch brite the sheaves. I would also recommend that you do NOT reuse the helix screws, just get new ones from cat.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup do not re use the torx I learned the hard way! I welded a piece of ready rod to a plate and got a big washer and a nut so I could suck down and compress the spring. Make sure you mark the two halves so they go back together the same way as they are a balanced unit. It's pretty easy just take your time and torque the bolts in a sequence and up to spec and you'll be good to go!

potoski

Reaction score
Ok, right on. Thanks. I'm clear on the compression part of it ,but the torx your talking about must be the nine small ones on the back side right? And what would I use a heatgun for

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little heat with the blow torch will soften the loctite and help so you don't strip a torx head, yes buy new bolts and dab of blue loctite when you put back together.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya you won't get those bolts out without heat they will either pull threads or strip out.

potoski

Reaction score
Right on guys. This is my first thread and you guys have been super helpfull. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna give er a try tommorow.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All very good info. What year is your sled? '09 or older you may want to throw in rock rollers or the updated cat ones while it's apart. Also make sure when you get new helix screws that you get the updated ones. They're hex bolts instead of torx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All very good info. What year is your sled? '09 or older you may want to throw in rock rollers or the updated cat ones while it's apart. Also make sure when you get new helix screws that you get the updated ones. They're hex bolts instead of torxSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

What is the difference with the updated rollers or rock rollers?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The updated stock ones were harder. Not sure how they compare to rock rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using 2

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Harder more temp resistant roller. Stock ones have a tendency to melt up or get chewed up thus loosing there rolling surface.

Thanks! So I can buy these at a dealer or is there a good online site I could take a look at?

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can check the black diamond extremes website for the bdx rock rollers. And the part number for arctic cats hi temp rollers is 5639-468

Rideem

Reaction score
Just did mine today, super easy. Wish I would have replaced the helix bolts now. I didn't have to use heat on mine. I also installed the updated rollers. The pars guy at arctic cat told me the new rollers that are made of some kind of composit can crack or shatter on the sleds with reverse.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can always pull the clutch again and swap them. It will take a extra 10 mins for some piece of mind! I STRONGLY suggest it! Don't learn the hard way like me!

Top Bottom