M8 or Rev XP

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand on the on M8 electric start is not a option. That may be something you might want to consider. I know Estart can be popular with the ladies.:d

I agree that electric start would be really nice, but I think I can get these pipecleaner arms of mine to muster the strength to pull the cord so I can enjoy a day of easier riding... small price to pay.

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Hey SledMamma here's my opinion since I have an M8 162 and have ridden an '08 Xp.
I use to ride an '01 RMK 800 and this weekend was my first time out on my '07 M8 and I couldn't believe how well it handled! It was like I had been riding it for years. It pulls over beautifully without much effort and the trottle isn't sticky. It's not tippy but it still allows for amazing handling and side hilling. I can't even describe how good it is. Its amazing to start, just one pull and she's running!
I rode the '08 XP and found the throttle to be VERY sticky and harder to pull over. I know a lot of guys who like it but my girlfriend just bought an 04' rev and it took a lot more pulls to start, it seemed to be harder to pullover. Ask ~Krista~ about her experience with it since I didn't ride it but I would 100% reccomend the M8.:d

BlackBetty81

Reaction score
Well I feel dirty even saying this, but given your size, I would go with the M8. I am on the XP and it is a task to throw it around, doable however; but still a task. My husband is on an M8 and he says that it is way easier to toss around, I didnt believe him until i got on it. WAY easy.
BUT its a total personal choice.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I feel dirty even saying this, but given your size, I would go with the M8. I am on the XP and it is a task to throw it around, doable however; but still a task. My husband is on an M8 and he says that it is way easier to toss around, I didnt believe him until i got on it. WAY easy.

Have you tried dissconnecting your sway bar on your XP? I have the quick dissconect kit and I like it alot better for playing in the trees. The M8 doesn't have a sway bar i wonder if that makes them handle better for the ladies?

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the M8 is a easier sled to just get on and go,the XP is totally diferent then what most people are used to when it comes to stance and ergonomics,it took me more then acouple rides on mine to get used to the rider forward,tall stance but now I love it,its way more comfy then the low stance,I ride my buddies m8 now and it feels completely different,I find it low and tippy now but when he first got it in 08 and I was still riding my old sled it was easy to get on rip it,now I dont care for it,the power is great and it dependable just handles and rides way different.Thats just my opinion though.The XP takes some time to get used to but once you do its great.

BlackBetty81

Reaction score
Have you tried dissconnecting your sway bar on your XP? I have the quick dissconect kit and I like it alot better for playing in the trees. The M8 doesn't have a sway bar i wonder if that makes them handle better for the ladies?

I have the quick disconnect kit on my XP.
It does help a lot from when i didnt have it on.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

THANK YOU JustPinnItFoxy! THANK YOU Black Betty! Finally hearing from some women on the matter. Although I appreciate the testosterone-injected opinions, it really is nice to hear a female perspective.

I really struggle because of my height- my center of gravity is very high and I will never have a bulky muscle mass from which to draw strength. By sheer force of genetics, I will always be long and lanky, which means that I need to use body mechanics and leverage to achieve what alot of shorter, more muscled people do... I totally appreciate where you are coming from on the XP vs M8 issue and I thank you for dirtying yourself enough to say it publicly. It all helps!! Of course, I will be trying both sleds before I buy, but so far, I am leaning heavily towards the M8...

BlackBetty81

Reaction score
Something else you might wanna take a peek at.
Please don't take any offence to my post, but i found a great article for you to see.
Its in Volume 36, NO.4 of the SnoWest magazine.
The article is Riding With Finess, Not Brawn
Holt's Tips for Novice, Female Riders.
Now, please dont think i am saying you are a novice rider, and I am sure you know the tricks of the trade, but I found some new tips to try in this article. As well I tried a new stance for side hilling and carving, wrong foot forward, and it helped so much!
Hope this helps
Happy Choosing!!!
(I'd go for the doo)

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No offence taken AT ALL Black Betty. I appreciate all tips, and I have totally accepted that I will always have to ride with finesse and not brawn. Besides, I don't care who you or are or how long you've been riding, there is always room for improvement and learning. So, bottom line, THANKS!!

I do love how you redeemed yourself from your earlier post by tacking on the "I'd go for the doo" comment... guilt was eating you up huh?

Are you gonna try to do the women's ride in Revey in March. If our schedule works out, I think I am gonna try to be there. It sounds like fun! How often do you see a bunch of women out cruising around-might blow the socks off the boys to see a big gang of us running around and ripping it up!!

BlackBetty81

Reaction score
Oh my gosh!!! You have no idea!!! I had to get a dig in for Team Doo!!!:p
Likewise, I STILL have no job, so I assume that my schedule will be cooperative with the ladies ride!! LOL
I think it would be great to get out with a bunch of women for a ride. I am still learning the brains over brawn thing myself so I think I will be able to pick up some great tips and have a great time too!!!
Hope to see you out there!!! (on your new Doo, lol)
Jess

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
THANK YOU JustPinnItFoxy! THANK YOU Black Betty! Finally hearing from some women on the matter. Although I appreciate the testosterone-injected opinions, it really is nice to hear a female perspective.

I really struggle because of my height- my center of gravity is very high and I will never have a bulky muscle mass from which to draw strength. By sheer force of genetics, I will always be long and lanky, which means that I need to use body mechanics and leverage to achieve what alot of shorter, more muscled people do... I totally appreciate where you are coming from on the XP vs M8 issue and I thank you for dirtying yourself enough to say it publicly. It all helps!! Of course, I will be trying both sleds before I buy, but so far, I am leaning heavily towards the M8...

Any time! It really helps to ride both sleds but I'm pretty confident you will prefer the M8. Keep us updated on what you get!! :beer:

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you have yourself quite a perdiciment, I will start off by saying I am not brand Loyal (Had a Cat, then a XP now a Yammi), and I don't have a uterus but this is my two cents, over the years we have takin all of are wifes and lots of wifes friends to the mountains to try sledding the one girl that comes up with us quite often her husband rides a M7 and he bought her a 700 ski-doo in the ZX chassis, she hated it,so she started to ride the Cat, it was alot better then the old ZX her riding improved huge, one day we were in a area with tons of deep powder and she was constitly getting stuck and flipping on her side with the Cat, I went to help her and sense my XP was facing the right direction I said take it and I will get yours turned around and meet you up top, well needless to say I never got my XP back the rest of the weekend and now she owns a XP. She is a 6' tall girl pretty skinny, (not even going to try and guess her weight cause that will get me in chit foresure). Just please when you test them give the XP some time when I first rode mine I hated, but it quickly turned into the funnest sled I have ever rode (hopefully that will change this year)

Wow that is long, Probley not worth reading either

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:eek:
Well you have yourself quite a perdiciment, I will start off by saying I am not brand Loyal (Had a Cat, then a XP now a Yammi), and I don't have a uterus but this is my two cents, over the years we have takin all of are wifes and lots of wifes friends to the mountains to try sledding the one girl that comes up with us quite often her husband rides a M7 and he bought her a 700 ski-doo in the ZX chassis, she hated it,so she started to ride the Cat, it was alot better then the old ZX her riding improved huge, one day we were in a area with tons of deep powder and she was constitly getting stuck and flipping on her side with the Cat, I went to help her and sense my XP was facing the right direction I said take it and I will get yours turned around and meet you up top, well needless to say I never got my XP back the rest of the weekend and now she owns a XP. She is a 6' tall girl pretty skinny, (not even going to try and guess her weight cause that will get me in chit foresure). Just please when you test them give the XP some time when I first rode mine I hated, but it quickly turned into the funnest sled I have ever rode (hopefully that will change this year)

Wow that is long, Probley not worth reading either

Condolences on not having a uterus! That aside, your input was well worth reading. I have heard a few times now that the XP is not a love at first sight sled, but that it grows on you. That is what I had hoped for with the TurboPhazer, but it just isnt happening at all. I promise to give the XP lots of time for me to love it

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion....go for the M8. You won't be sorry!! I love, love, love mine!!:p

Just found out that Santa's little helper has been shopping and there is a ** in the sleigh for Mommy this year!! Yeehaw!!

backseatrider

Reaction score
I have only rode my sled twice 600 etech summit but by the end of the second ride I really liked it. When I first stood up on it, it felt like it was miles of the ground as I had been riding the little silver bullet all winter. We have not been out yet this year but I am hoping I will still enjoy it.

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride an 07 800rev and I love it, one day the bf told me to take his 08 xp for a ride and I hated it and told him he'd never have to worry about me wanting to take his sled. Last yr I tried his xp again and it totally grew on me and I love it now. Hoping next yr I will sell mine and move to the xp! I agree with others though it takes time to like it. I am also a tall girl, over 6' so I hope that helps you out a bit!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just found out that Santa's little helper has been shopping and there is a ** in the sleigh for Mommy this year!! Yeehaw!!

i sell both yammy and cat...bought a couple pz mtns ...wife like 120 with suit on ......turbo d one.....hard to handle for the ladies and first time riders, 14 n up teenage boys, and boondocker hard riders,,, there good. got the wife first into m6 she loved it,,, just bought her a 09 m8 sno pro 153... gonna throw elec start on it, maybe remote and a heated seat.....why not?

i think you d live the m8 ...nice balance,,,good selection of gofast bolt on parts available as well....

just my two cents

t

girlluvshockey

Reaction score
I currently ride a 09 Summit X 800 and love it! I have also done the pipe, can, y pipe, and reeds and the sled pulls hard, harder than the 09 M1000.

In terms of power, I think the Doo is stronger out of the box. Although I have heard great things about the '10 M8. I have ridden the M1000 and with the 15 wide track and set up it is a easy sled to handle, I dislike the low feeling, I prefer being higher up. I took the sway bars of mine and that definately helped.

I will also say that I have been around a few cats that dont seem to like the cold cold morning starts on the hill. The XP fired up everytime! With some adjustments we have our M1000 starting well on those really cold mornings.

Just a few thoughts

Top Bottom