m8 gears in m1000

m1000snopro

Reaction score
what do u guys think about gearing down alittle and putting the m8 gears in my 07 m1000. do u lose alotof top speed? the take off better?

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Just do it! Very little loss of top speed but a gain in trackspeed and cooler belts, how can you go wrong! It will run you about $350.00 bucks for the gears and while you are at it you might as well do the bearing upgrade as posted on this forum. I have always geared my sled down with good results, even before I ran a 174" track.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy changed his m1000 gearing down to a m8 made a HELL of a difference. From what ive seen (doin pulls beside him both b4 and after change) you will not be dissapointed GO FOR IT!!!

m1000snopro

Reaction score
thanks guys as a matter fact i am getting the bearings done before they go out and my dealer mentioned that i should put the m8 gears so i thought i would see what u guys thought about it. going for it. thanks!

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go with lower gears you will gain a little more snap on the bottom end and you will have less belt slippage while boondocking but you will not gain track speed. you will lose track speed or it will be the same.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ran both bearcat gears (55/65) and m8 gears (57/63) in my 1000. You like playing in the trees and short hills the bearcat gears work great. The M8 gears worked very well. Took some belt temp off and clutching held more consistent. I have found working with all 3 gear sets that for a long climb the stock 60 / 60 gears still work the best and gave the highest mark on the hill. Determined this with 2- m1000 162" sleds both with same pipe and y pipe. mine geared down and his stock gearing. switched riders even to prove it. The 60 / 60 gears always made a bit higher mark on the real long 2 - 5 minute plus wide open pulls. Now if it was a short steep hill the short gears worked way better or playing in the trees.

If you plan on doing long shutes stay with the factory gears, if you are more of a boondocker and jumper ect, i would use the lower gears. Just my 2 cents!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run an '08 M1000 and i wouldn't want any lower gearing in it, it is stock gearing now. I am actually going to gear mine up a little bit. I wouldnt want anymore snap or low end grunt as mine already pulls like a freight train out of control. I havn't blown a belt yet. This is just what i've found and my two cents.

Top Bottom