M8 clutching

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
switch to rock rollers on the secondary and install an adjustable deflection fron fet

tanner

Reaction score
Rock rollers for sure. So I hear is the stock weights springs and helix is as good as anything. I have the same sled and installed a slp helix no differance as i can tell. Slp claims the stock set up is good just that their's is better. I was told by a sled builder at the sled show in edmonton this weekend that your better off getting the stock stuff set up right. Clutch alignment, make sure your power valves are set up right not to sure what else he does i'm gonna bring my sled to him and see what they come up with. Good luck with yours. Do you have anything done to your sled? Y pipe, pipe or anything?

tchriste

Reaction score
What clutching should a guy do to a 2009 M8?!?

Lets start with the simple things like what have you done to your sled? Whats your budget? What conditions do you ride in (light snow, heavy snow)? What kind of riding do you like to do ( boondocking, trail, trees, climbing)? What elevation are you running at? What do you need from your clutching you're not getting now? So many things....stock clutching isn't bad for all around, however there is always improvements.

I run an 09 HCR with reeds, pipe, head work, intake.... ride between 3,000-8,500 feet....trail in and out with trees, boondocking, climbing and a bit of jumping.... Primary clutch has stock spring with Dalton adjustable weights (allows me to adjust for elevation changes)...secondary has Dalton 44-36 P helix, rock rollers, shift assist, Speedwerx H5 170-270 spring. (I was running the cat orange 175-280 last year but I'm looking for a bit more track speed.) When playing with clutching remember to set engagement and max RPM with primary... up-shift and back-shift with secondary...heel weight will give you good pull on the bottom end and tip weight will pull better on top, however heavy tip weight will impact back-shift.

Clutching is a balancing act between the primary and the secondary.

.....one last thing to think about only make one change at a time.

Top Bottom