Clutching by Powderlites Sicamous

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought their G4 setup. While it helped in some aspects, it didn't in others. I wouldn't buy it again.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought their G4 setup. While it helped in some aspects, it didn't in others. I wouldn't buy it again.
hmmm, I see I backshift talks about lowering engagemnet RPM and i heard Powderlites setup rasises it. What didn't do for you? I haven't ever tried changing the stock clutching. Scared I will screw it up lol

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have played with the dual angle helix and like them
dwayne at powder freaks has given good advice and has some kits too

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If your looking for some Turbo R clutching, i have an impressive set up that takes away the initial over rev and stops the rpm fade on the top end when going to clicker 1 or 2. Its stronger in the mid range with more top end and lower belt temps. Back shift is greatly improved as well. It includes a new primary spring, secondary spring, helix and washers for you quicker clicker bolt. Runs on clicker 3 to maintain the awesome bottom end throttle response. This lowers initial engagement by 100 rpm, while still maintaining smooth power delivery.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm, I see I backshift talks about lowering engagemnet RPM and i heard Powderlites setup rasises it. What didn't do for you? I haven't ever tried changing the stock clutching. Scared I will screw it up lol
i put an aftermarket (ibackshift) kit on my first sled and never looked back and now it's the first mod that goes on any new sled. the performance is that much better and the lower engagement is nice.
plenty of step by step vids online to help with the install.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lowering engagement generally helps in the trees when you want to start moving slowly with a smoother engagement to avoid trenching. Higher engagement is generally more aggressive to get into the power earlier.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can do it yourself you just need 900$ worth of specialized tooling!!
900 bucks eh. I backshift sells all needed tools foe 320 bucks and then with a clutch kit discounts the 10% but he also has videos showing how to do it with simple stuff you would have laying around the shop.

My local machine shop guy just lend me his tools cause I buy ch!t ( oil and doo parts) from him

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
900 bucks eh. I backshift sells all needed tools foe 320 bucks and then with a clutch kit discounts the 10% but he also has videos showing how to do it with simple stuff you would have laying around the shop.

My local machine shop guy just lend me his tools cause I buy ch!t ( oil and doo parts) from him

im probably exagerating but i purchased all of the BRP stuff not aftermarket. Either way, its alot of tools to take apart a primary lol

mikeydoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
water trick to get primary off, piece of ready rod with 2 pieces of flat stock and 2x 1/2 deep sockets to push down the spring to remove the retainer clip that holds the helix on. that's it that's all folks. Then its easy breezy after that.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of clutch "kits". There are great differences in rider preference, expectations, riding style, snow conditions, elevations, weight and even sled to sled differences. I don't feel tossing in a relatively generic kit is really is any better than brp's generic factory calibration. If the sled runs well and you're happy with it, I'd leave it be. I don't subscribe to the "there's lots left on the table" camp. However, if you have specific problems or preferences, then deal with that with the correct parts on a case by case basis.

The issues with my G4T were: 1) significant over revving, 2) buzzy, high rpm's on the trail, 3) higher than desired belt temps (not a belt blower tho)
After some frustration with trying to address the issues myself, and some positive feedback from others, I impulse bought their setup while at the shop one day.
The PL kit consisted of: 1)primary spring, 2) their own pivot bolt and washers 3) a BRP multi angle helix 4) a 22 tooth top gear (stock 21)
Their theory (as was roughly explained) that the turbo needed to be loaded more and the gearing and more aggressive shifting would address this.
Another well known shop in sic highly recommended slp's magnum weights as the solution.

It did nothing for the over revving. I had to add a bunch of pivot weight back on over what they said I would need, which I had already tried before their kit. They supplied a generic allen head bolt with a stack of Nord-lock waters for weight. This makes the bolt very difficult to loosen and the head was already beginning to strip. I put brp bolts and washers back on. The buzziness on the trail did improve greatly. I think it is a combination of the helix and gearing. Overall, I feel backshifting improved slightly from the helix. Lastly, my seat of the pants opinion is the belt temps went up slightly after the kit. Likely as a result of the gear up.

My G5T was over revving as well, but I liked the shifting characteristics. I've added several grams of pivot weight, which for the most part has addressed the problem, but back shifting has suffered a bit and I find it inconsistent.
I have ridden a friends G5T with ibackshift clutching. I didn't like it at all. Low engagement, but very 'lurchy' imo. His kits are very popular with good reviews. To each their own I guess.

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with you on the kits.
I’ve got a buddie. You tell him you’re set up. He will do the math and tell you word for word how it will work. I’ll never forget I bought a kit from Speed shop Inc. Sent him the recipe after I installed it. he told me it would be zippy, Rev lots and sound really powerful. Then he said it would have terrible upshift and do fawk all. lol December came and we went riding together with our new sleds and mine did what he said. I installed his exact parts after in my sled and kicked everyone’s ass with it lol
this is a man in the 60s with a lifetime of clutching since the 80’s.

Last edited:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ran joes kit on 800etecs and gen4 850 was happy with the results i noticed a snappier get the track moving to pop out of the snow was my fave thing about the clutch kit from him, water trick is byfar best way to get primary off, have yet to try a clutch kit on the gen5 turbo doo as its allready more sled then i need lol and havnt had belt issues

Top Bottom