M8 belts. Anything better out there?

loffelbein88

Reaction score
I have an 09 M8. I dont find the belts last long. I have 73s in it wit stock springs and a dual angle low alt helix(not sure what angles) and using a 46 belt.Its not even so much the belts that dont last long, its when they blow there is fuzz everywere and the cords rap around the secondary and it takes twenty minutes to get em off. Wondering if any one alse has tried a dif cat belt or even an after market one that work better. dayco maybe? Thanks Jeremy

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try to figure out whay your blowing belts first. Offset? Heat? I think Cat has a new belt, the 060 but make sure the specs are the same.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 060 belts have been around for a few years now, they come factory on the 1000s. They have the same specs, but are made of different compounds

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 M8. I dont find the belts last long. I have 73s in it wit stock springs and a dual angle low alt helix(not sure what angles) and using a 46 belt.Its not even so much the belts that dont last long, its when they blow there is fuzz everywere and the cords rap around the secondary and it takes twenty minutes to get em off. Wondering if any one alse has tried a dif cat belt or even an after market one that work better. dayco maybe? Thanks Jeremy

Jeremy, the Dayco nor the Carlisle belt will last as long as the 046 cat belt. The 060 is a harder belt, but it isn't as sticky (I run an 046 on my M1000).
I'm betting your offset is wrong, belt deflection too tight - something is haywire with your setup - my wife's modded M8 is on it's second belt - I replaced it @ 800km just for peace of mind. My 1000 has 700km (this is all mountain riding) on an 046 belt. By comparison, I made 60km on a Carlisle XS817 before it exploded - same setup as far as clutching...

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
I ran 046 belts on my m8 and changed them at 1200 km. One thing you might want to check for is any little nicks in your primary or secondary. The vent clips on your hood can fall off and find there way into the clutch sometimes. I replaced all mine with zip ties. I usually clean both clutch surfaces with acetone every couple of rides. This seems to work for me. The break-in procedure on a new belt has alot to do with the longevity.

Top Bottom