2004 polaris 800 edge rmk breaking belt

14fun247

Reaction score
Hey everybody.
Does anyone have any advice why my belt keeps breaking on my 04 Polaris 800 edge 151. It has happened once in deep snow at full throttle at about 40mph and the second time happened on a hard pack trail at about same speed and rpm and full throttle.
Be for this last break I had noticed in really deep and loose snow that the belt was getting really hot and flimsy. I changed the helix angle from 38 to 40 and went riding again and rode easy all day until we were heading back when my daughter and i were drag racing on the trail and Boom... Pieces everywhere. The belt was not as hot as it had been before. I had cleaned the rubber off the drive clutch before this and now i notice rubber all over it even on the cage around the spider as if the belt may have came out of sheaves be for breaking.
I have installed new belts and after a little deep snow or hard riding the have cords hanging out or are so hot they squeal continuously. The drive clutch has lightning weights in it with a cream and red spring and the driven had a stock 38 and 40 degree helix and i swapped it with a team rapid reaction helix and a new a read and black spring. after setting helix to 40 degree it seemed to allow the belts to run a little cooler and sled was a bit faster. I have set the offset to 5/8 and made sure the alignment was parallel, set deflection using a strait edge all prior to last blowup. Now i have a bent crank and major expense. I have pulled engine and all engine mounts look to be ok but did notice bump stop looks like it was rubbing engine case alot but may just be normal.
Now I have a new lower end coming from S.B.R.Us, a new drive clutch with 10 58 weights and spring. I fear that the problem is still there somewhere that I am over looking but can not afford another major breakdown.
Sorry this is so long but any advice is appreciated.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take the hood off and take it for a ride sounds like you might have a broken motor mount watch the drive clutch and jam the throttle open the motor should not twist on the mounts also take your secondary apart and see if the rollers are not seized

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could be over revving. Get rid of the 1080 belt and go to I think it's the 1166. it's the racing belt.

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had belt problems once and it was a broken motor mount. It waas flipping the belts inside out while riding. I see you said you looked at yours so I'm not really sure what to say.
Good luck nothing worse than an issue you can't find.

14fun247

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the good input.
I had the team clutch apart less than 100 miles ago which was 3 days of riding and the rollers were rolling really easy and have had problems before and after.
I also have engine out of sled and mounts are still in tact and look like they are newer. I pulled and twisted them and all, look good. The sled also has a aftermarket torque stop on the front of the engine which seems a little loose on the forward bolt but all is still in tact
I bought the sled last fall and i am thinking the crank was replaced at that time along with mounts but dealer not telling. I think they put rebuilt crank in old case. The crank was 2 different colors. The stator end was cleaner looking.
As for over revving, that is possible but the tach never goes over 8100 at full throttle on trail or powder. The tach seems to be a little slow responding so rpm could stabilize before tach catches up. Rpm seem to jump straight to 8000 or 8100 and right back to 8000. Looks to me that the rpm range is fine unless my tach is lieing.
I have thaut about buying a different belt but my father in law has a 04 800 vertical escape 159 and gets about 5000 miles on a belt and is only on his second belt at 10,000 miles. his sled seems to be the same as mine except for longer track. Also he has never overhauled it or even had crank case open.
I am not sure what the stock gearing is or what is to low but i will open chain case an see what it has in it.
If i had it running still i would run it without hood and i will when i get it together again but i will have close to $2000 in repairs and don't want another catastrophe like this one

Once again Thanks for the input. Any other good ideas besides snow check

Top Bottom