M7 with twin jaws pipes

rkrahn80

Reaction score
recently bought an 05 m7 with vforce reeds, twin jaws pipes, digitron and attitude ind. efi controller. Having problems with egt's getting to 1200 on mid rpm's, tried reprogramming controller but still getting hot on mid range. Any suggestions?

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to single pipe.....Jaws are only good for high altitude anyways; around your area you are not high enough. Dont chance it and burn down your motor. If you only ride in the mtns leave them on but you will have to tunethe pipes for the mtns. If you ride around here a fair bit go to stock pipe or monster single, im sure LOTS of guys around here have a stock pipe they will give to you for dirt cheep.

Just my :twocents:

Performance Exhaust Systems

Hope this helps ya maybe someone on here feels differently and can help you tune them properly but twins can end up costing you ALOT OF MONEY if you dont have the time/skill/experance to tune them in correctly.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
recently bought an 05 m7 with vforce reeds, twin jaws pipes, digitron and attitude ind. efi controller. Having problems with egt's getting to 1200 on mid rpm's, tried reprogramming controller but still getting hot on mid range. Any suggestions?

What do your plugs look like? Before you dismiss the pipes and throw them in the trash, you might want to consider a few things like doing some plug readings at mid throttle settings, probe location, etc. Could be that you are too rich and the fuel is burning in the pipe, giving you false "high" readings.

I see this lots.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do your plugs look like? Before you dismiss the pipes and throw them in the trash, you might want to consider a few things like doing some plug readings at mid throttle settings, probe location, etc. Could be that you are too rich and the fuel is burning in the pipe, giving you false "high" readings.

I see this lots.

Jaws calims on there website that the pipes are for high altitude use (3500+ft) you dont think that would matter? and no dont just "throw them in the trash" buddy they are not junk im not saying that they just may be a bit impractical for your application.

m8magic

Reaction score
you will have a lean area with a single as well...you just have to throttle through that zone and not stay in it long without varying the throttle...i have the single pipe and fuel reg and controller and the lean spot around power valve opening is there...im going to jaws twins and i aint worried

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jaws calims on there website that the pipes are for high altitude use (3500+ft) you dont think that would matter? and no dont just "throw them in the trash" buddy they are not junk im not saying that they just may be a bit impractical for your application.

He doesn't say what elevation he is riding them at so no, I don't think it matters, I'm assuming that he is riding them above 3500 ft. I ride my Jaws pipes below 3500 ft all the time (probably 5 times a year, often as low as 1200 ft - much lower than Wetaskiwin elevation) and I just stay off the throttle a bit until I'm above 3500 ft.

If he's riding them around Wetaskiwin, then yes, he will have to tune them, but before we assume the high EGT readings are a function of the pipes, the EGT readings need to correlated to a plug reading so that you KNOW the high EGT's are in fact high, and not a false reading. DO NOT rely on EGT readings to say that your motor is hot, check the plugs and pistons first, then use the EGT readings as your baseline.

You cannot assume that he needs to tune the pipes at all for his elevation, and he cannot assume that 1200 at mid throttle is high. There are a lot of questions to be answered before I would assume that its the pipes. Questions like: What is "mid" throttle? What is max RPM? What carb opening, what RPM is the "mid" throttle? What plugs is he running? Where is his probe location from the face of the piston? Is this a single EGT or twin EGT's? Is one hotter than the other? Which side is hotter (if one is) or are they the same? What did he do to "re-program"? How much fuel it is adding on the new setting? Are you doing correct plug reading WOT procedure? Typical standard is to go to the point where it almost won't run and is obviously rich, then work backwards to correct setting, than to try and work from too lean to a rich setting, you risk a burndown this way if you don't fatten it up soon enough.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I totally agree with Modman, do your research and find out why you are getting hot, the only thing that I have not seen mentioned is the stinger size outlet is VERY important as you may have a hard time tuning them if the hole is small. I have heard of guys making adapters for this so they can change them out and have good luck at lower elevations. Split second twins used to be that way, I had to be really carefull down low with them, it just depends where you want to make power, here or the hills.

Top Bottom