m1000 mag side lower rod bearing failure 800 miles??

Reaction score
Well have to go on a rescue mission tomorrow. m1000 blew a lower rod bearing and it only had 800 miles on new engine. Was running good numbers on the A\F gauge i had a look at the plugs after it happened and they look good. It didnt seize up still runs but sounded real bad. sled has full slp kit and pcv on it i mix 8 liters of av in every tank of fuel to get the octane up a bit. Pulls 7600-7700 rpm. i turned up the oil pump a bit and run ams oil interceptor. Anyone have any idea what would cause this to happen so soon. It was running 13.8 on bottom 13.2 in the mid and 12.8 on the top.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12.8 sounds real lean for a 1000 12 tops big pistons need lots of fuel

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well have to go on a rescue mission tomorrow. m1000 blew a lower rod bearing and it only had 800 miles on new engine. Was running good numbers on the A\F gauge i had a look at the plugs after it happened and they look good. It didnt seize up still runs but sounded real bad. sled has full slp kit and pcv on it i mix 8 liters of av in every tank of fuel to get the octane up a bit. Pulls 7600-7700 rpm. i turned up the oil pump a bit and run ams oil interceptor. Anyone have any idea what would cause this to happen so soon. It was running 13.8 on bottom 13.2 in the mid and 12.8 on the top.

Sounds to me you are doing things right may just be a random failure they do happen. Even if your mixture was lean it should not effect the rod bearing.You say a new engine if it came off the shelf somewhere maybe it was not stored in a dry area and moisture got in during storage dont know. Could be many things or a combination of. Maybe confirm you adjusted the oil pump correctly? Sorry for your luck on this one it sucks to have too drag a dead sled out done it to many times and have been on both ends of the rope. You will however find out who your friends are and how thirsty they can be at night. Good luck

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12.8 sounds real lean for a 1000 12 tops big pistons need lots of fuel

This guy has the right thinking the most you want to see is a steady 11.8 to 12.0 max at wide open. You should see around 11.4 and it will start to climb up to the 11.8 mark and hold steady there.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This guy has the right thinking the most you want to see is a steady 11.8 to 12.0 max at wide open. You should see around 11.4 and it will start to climb up to the 11.8 mark and hold steady there.

Have to agree with that too. Wouldn't be the cause of a lower rod bearing failure though. Piston would have let go first. I'm, betting on corrosion from moisture getting in there during storage. Wouldn't be the first time.

Reaction score
Well go the sled back today she was tough going but we made it. Going to tear the engine down this week and put a new crank it. Should be running for next weekend at powder king

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why mix AV gas, if you have stock heads this will not do anything, probably make it run worse, stock these sleds really prefer regular fuel

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are running too lean and way to much octane. But neither of those will take out a rod bearing. it has to be improper storage or not enough oil getting to the bearings. Are you sure its a rod bearing. Some of these cranks like to snap.

Reaction score
Tore the engine down and it was mag side lower rod bearing. I got the engine from a cat dealer they said it was new, new crank, jugs, pistons, seals and gaskets but the jugs were all beat up nicasil missing by the ports deep marks in them too but not a mark on the pistons the pistons are still flawless so the jugs had to be like that when i bought the engine. the gaskets were used too there was silicone on the cylinder base gasket. Im not going to say the name of the cat dealer untill i talk to the owner and see if he is going to help me out with this issue. I have rebuilt a lot of sled engines and im a h.d. mechanic, the engine they sold me for $2500 was not worth the price of the new pistons that went in it. i would never try to run cylinders in that condition. I put the engine in the sled in december 2013 i only got 2.5 months out of it. Very disappointed. The owner of the cat dealer is in vegas till saturday so i will call him monday and see what he has to say

Last edited:
Top Bottom