M-8 turbo's

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so I'm hearing conflicting stories about whether to run av gas versus race gas. I have a bd race gas kit. Some people say it's safe to run av while others say don't. what the hell is the answer??? I know av is cheaper but is it safe??I don't mind spending the extra money if I have to but if I don't then why??? If someone can shed some info it would b much appreciated. I don't want crap stories but real actual facts as the season is approaching fast and I want to b ready. Tanks in advance to anyone that can help.

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7lbs at apox. 3000 ft and up to 9 at 6oooft. I might keep the boost turned down but would like the option to turn it up if i can.

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
7lbs at apox. 3000 ft and up to 9 at 6oooft. I might keep the boost turned down but would like the option to turn it up if i can.

You should be safe running av gas even running 10 lbs. I ran mine at 14 lbs. for a while last season and had to turn it down to 10 to 11 lbs. which was fine. I would run mine on pump gas or 50/50 mix if I was running 7 lbs. Just keep a close eye on your air fuel and also proper burn on your plugs.

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so y run a 50/50 mix? y not straight av fuel ? Just want to know the reasoning behind both gases. pro's and con's. I'm only asking because I don't know. The thing is I want to be able to turn my boost up when and if I need it. Is it a lubrication issue? Does one burn differently? Am I worried about burning down? The higher the elevation what am supposed to b running for boost with av versus race? Sorry for all the questions but better to ask then to b coptered out!

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Av 100ll is a leaded 100 octane fuel. All your pump fuels have their respective octane ratings with no lead. You can buy race gas at different octane ratings, with or without lead also. 2 stroke oil lubricates your motor not the fuel you burn. The lead in the fuel will lubricate a little also. If you want a 100 octane fuel then AV 100LL is a great choice at a great price. I will be running straight 100LL at 8-9 psi boost at around 6000 feet. Like it was said before, watch your A/F gauge and tune for the octane of fuel you are running. Your A/F will tell you where your boost should be respective to a certain octane of fuel at a certain elevation at a certain ambient temp etc, etc, etc. Fuel is fuel is fuel. The only thing determining necessary octane is how much boost you want to run. As far as AV being a "good" or "bad" fuel, plenty of people on this forum run it and plenty of people I know run it. Never heard a complaint. Hope this helps.

oly

Reaction score
So I have an M1000 aero charger that has just put on. Guys told me at 8 psi I can run av gas and to worry about any race fuel. Is this correct? Should it be 7 lb in stead? what hp #'s are guys finding with running av gas at 7-8 lbs of boost? How often does a guy need to replace pistons because of the lower octane?

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
So I have an M1000 aero charger that has just put on. Guys told me at 8 psi I can run av gas and to worry about any race fuel. Is this correct? Should it be 7 lb in stead? what hp #'s are guys finding with running av gas at 7-8 lbs of boost? How often does a guy need to replace pistons because of the lower octane?

If you ran 50% av./pump gas on 8lbs. you should have no problem. Change pistons each season and check your burn often. Also keep a spare set of reeds with you. I don't like running strait av. cuz it's so hard on the a/f censer. This works for me anyways. I run 10-11 lbs. on a m8.
If you are really concerned about burn down then install a set of piros, exhaust temps.

oly

Reaction score
If you ran 50% av./pump gas on 8lbs. you should have no problem. Change pistons each season and check your burn often. Also keep a spare set of reeds with you. I don't like running strait av. cuz it's so hard on the a/f censer. This works for me anyways. I run 10-11 lbs. on a m8.
If you are really concerned about burn down then install a set of piros, exhaust temps.

Thanks for the info,
I have piros and I like to keep my eye on them all the time. I have been told that i shouldnt have piston issues due to the 8 lbs of boost in stead of any higher. But I am aware that reeds will be an issue. I had mountain magic put it all together and recomfirmed all the situations that I should expect. Bruce there says he has 3700 miles on his turbo M8 with no piston problems running av. He said the 1000 is alittle different and to keep an eye on them yearly. He figured I will be between 270-280 hp with this set up. My first rip with it will hopefully be the Nov long weekend if the snow can hurry up! I'm not to worried about paying for the fuel but it helps when I can get Av for 1.34/L. BC premmium is well known for being 1.08/L anyways. So that won't be to bad to swallow. I have rode a buds m8 turbo and I love it.. hopefully mine stays reliable as well.

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the info,
I have piros and I like to keep my eye on them all the time. I have been told that i shouldnt have piston issues due to the 8 lbs of boost in stead of any higher. But I am aware that reeds will be an issue. I had mountain magic put it all together and recomfirmed all the situations that I should expect. Bruce there says he has 3700 miles on his turbo M8 with no piston problems running av. He said the 1000 is alittle different and to keep an eye on them yearly. He figured I will be between 270-280 hp with this set up. My first rip with it will hopefully be the Nov long weekend if the snow can hurry up! I'm not to worried about paying for the fuel but it helps when I can get Av for 1.34/L. BC premmium is well known for being 1.08/L anyways. So that won't be to bad to swallow. I have rode a buds m8 turbo and I love it.. hopefully mine stays reliable as well.

I don't think you'll have any problems except one thing. That thing is gonna stretch your arms almost out of your sockets and it's gonna hurt, but you'll still be smiling in spite of the pain..

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oly your turbo is it a 53 series or 66 series?? As far as reeds go we have had great success with TDR reed pedals. With a simple head mod there is a ton of safe boost to be used on the 1000. Who's turbo kit is it??

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the last part of the season at 8-9 lbs with a 50/50 mix of av and pump. If i tried to bump it up to 10-11 lbs my intake temps would hit 180. I ran 50/50 mix of race/pump for the first part of the season but after the first two barrels it made me sick. I think without a intercooler your max boost on av would be about 9-10 lbs. Any higher than that and you are gonna have reed issues. I bought a mini intercooler this season and will be running straight av at 10-11 lbs. This is at 6000 feet. 09 BD M8T race.

oly

Reaction score
Oly your turbo is it a 53 series or 66 series?? As far as reeds go we have had great success with TDR reed pedals. With a simple head mod there is a ton of safe boost to be used on the 1000. Who's turbo kit is it??
It is a 66 series and mountain magic did their kit on it.(or who ever they use) I'm sure they dubbled up the reeds but I know I will be needing to buy some spares! They did tell me if I want more boost: I need porting and then better octane. I'm absolutley pumped for first snow. I want to head out Nov 10 - 14 soo bad. If anywhere can get some snow I will be going!

Top Bottom