low voltage?

jboar1

Reaction score
I just got in from riding and am losing power. My lights keep getting dimmer, and my digital guage goes out when I put on the brake or high beam. The engine is also missing at open throttle.

I am thinking it is probably the voltage regulator but don't Know for sure. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you have a battery in this sled if so measure you voltage while running to see how many volts are being sent back to the battery,not sure what spec is on your sled,4stroke-2 stroke,the model?then using an ohm meter check each phaze of the stator for an open if all those check out ok then go after the voltage regulator,but more likely a stator problem

Last edited:

M1K

Reaction score
That sounds like the same problem I had with my 02 Viper. Turned out it was 1 phase on the stator had burned out. I was able to determine that with taking some ohm readings (obtained some photocopies of the service manual from my local dealership) Good news.. the stator only cost about $180.

jboar1

Reaction score
my sled is an 03 viper, and there is no battery.
W
hen I unhook the headlight the problem seems to go away. I hooked up to another viper and the problem was back. Is it possible that a stuck dimmer switch relay would cause this?

Top Bottom