Lost Sportsman Key..now what?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. Can't find the only key for my 12' Sportsman....now what? Can I order a new one by VIN #, or have to get a new ignition etc?? Grrr

looneyrod27

Reaction score
Your dealer should have they key number located on the nvis form. If you still have the paperwork from the dealer, there is actually a spot on the pdi pre delivery checklist where the put in the key number for your records. You can go to a key shop to get a new one made.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay good to know, thanks for that. Should be a relatively cheap fix then perhaps. I still have the NVIS etc. I can't believe they only come with one key.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay good to know, thanks for that. Should be a relatively cheap fix then perhaps. I still have the NVIS etc. I can't believe they only come with one key.
they come with 2 keys. you are most likely going to have to buy a new ignition.

looneyrod27

Reaction score
you could even pull your ignition off and take to a locksmith in your area. they should be able to make a new key for it. Had to do this with my motorcycle last summer, misplaced my keys. Just take the ignition out a take it in along with your regsitration ad proof of ownership and they should be able to sort it out for you.

SwampRatt

Reaction score
Not sure if the ignitions are still the same on the newer models but lost the key to my wife's 08 sportsman this summer, had to buy the whole ignition but it cost about $70 ( i think) and came with 2 keys, took 5 minutes to change. Broke the chipped key on the outlander last summer and it cost more than that for just the key

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup need to buy a new ignition. Even if you have the key number written down somewhere it does you no good without one of your old keys. when you order a replacement key it comes as a blank. about $85 for a new one.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I bought these 500's from the same dealer. He got two keys, I got one. Might phone and see what's up. Failing that, I'll order the new ignition. I LOVE buying OEM polaris parts. Makes my heart go pitter patter. Not.

Thanks for the help guys!

Top Bottom