Lost both sets of truck keys !!

Turbo_Albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.fenrichhomes.ca
Soooo lost my last set of truck keys today for my 96 dodge ram. The keys fell out of my pocket on the lake, went looking for a bit but we both know I will never find them.

Anyone have any idea how to go about getting replacement keys cut or what I need to do....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooo lost my last set of truck keys today for my 96 dodge ram. The keys fell out of my pocket on the lake, went looking for a bit but we both know I will never find them.

Anyone have any idea how to go about getting replacement keys cut or what I need to do....
it would be impossible to get a key cut without the original to use as the template. did you buy the truck new or used? wonder if you can get one from a dealer using your VIN, my GM came with a tag and a metal punchout in case a guy needs new keys....not sure if dodge does the same?

I always leave my keys with the truck, hidden of course, and let my riding partners know where to find them should something happen and I do not return with them. Imagine if there was an accident, you are involved and incapacitated or lost, and someone needs to go for help but has no transportation....it's not far fetched, the exact scenario happened to a good friend of mine. the guy with him managed to get his '90 chevy running by jamming a screwdriver into the ignition to go for help while my buddy was laying at the bottom of a cliff he had driven off in the Bull Moose area of Tumbler Ridge. he spent the night on the mountain and lived, could have ended differently.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont know if Dodge can do it, but GM can make a new key for their trucks if you take the VIN and proof of ownership to your dealership.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Most manufacturer's can cut keys from serial # now adays....... Not sure about a '96 though...... Otherwise replace the ignition tumbler and both door key cylinders and glovebox lock :(

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same as everyone else, not sure if dodge does this or not but lost keys to my old 90 GMC, used a small screwdriver to break the lock on the ignition. 5 years later when I went to sell it, got keys cut at Gm dealer $5, if I had known that I would have done it 5 years prior...lol

Or do What Summitric suggests, it's easy on the older dodges :cool:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife lost the keys to her 93 Hyundai, took the VIN to the locksmith and he cut new keys. Think we had to prove we owned the car though. Easy way to get keys for stealing vehicles otherwise.
Good luck. We also do like Teeroy for the same reasons. Good advice now hey.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you can get the dealership to cut new ones thats great, sometimes its better to have an older truck. i did it for my 06 silverado and it cost me $2 per key. but with a chipped key its more like $200 per key

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just ran your issue across our Service Manager, best bet in your situation is going to be a lock smith, and you will need to provide proof of ownership. If it was a newer vehicle, would be easier to get a key code. Without a key code, lock smith. Good Luck!!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Rick says, go to dealer with vin# and get key cut no problems. Might need proof of ownership. They all do it. Good luck or sometimes in your manual it will have key code.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
show up at your dealer or a dealer with the vin number and yes you are gonna need some proof of ownership. but the dealers can go onto our systems with the vin and pull up the key code for your specific vehicle and you can take the code to the locksmith to get it cut the dealer will not cut a key without the proper proof of ownership and a locksmith wont be able to cut the key without the code or the original key.

Top Bottom