Looking to pipe '08 xp summit

bubbabell

Reaction score
I am looking into piping my 08 800r summit it is all stock except for a mbrp can. Just wondering if the money spent is worth the gains. Also is there any other mods i would have to do if i put a y pipe and pipe on? is there anything else i can do for the same amount of money to give me better performance?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no. your pretty limited with bolt ons.

dynoport ypipe pipe and can will give you deecent gains. ditch the mbrp.

other than that you could get a nitrous kit

or a cylinder head from rkt or terra alps. with a set of reeds.

all for around the price range ur looking at.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey maxwell
What do you mean by ditching the MBRP can? are there any performance disadvantages with this can.Just wandering, i have one on my 08xp.

King

Reaction score
There is no disadvantage to the MBRP can. The only real advantage to a can is the weight savings. You will get a little advantage with the pipe, but again the weight savings over stock is the main thing. I piped, canned, put the Specialty Sled vent kit on, and a Boss seat, and shaved 22lbs off of my 08 Summit. I also put a DJ clutch kit in it, and that made a huge difference when climbing. I put Fox shocks in the back and that made a huge difference in handling. The stock shocks are junk and were pretty much toast after one trip into Millage.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dynoport Y-pipe is 1.5 to 2 HP. Dynoport pipe is another 1.5 to 2 hp below 6500 feet....a wash above 6500'. MBRP can gains zero....but loses zero. This info from Sled Head Racing and confirmed again last week on Split Second's dyno by another fella.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Y-pipe is worth the money, I'm not sold on the pipe yet. I think stripping the insulation and ceramic coating the factory pipe is worth a shot. Looking at that pipe bend how much do you really gain. She's pretty tight in there.

Dido on the DJ kit, going to try his XP ramps this year. If ya order a kit get the ramps! You can never go wrong with his stuff.

Reeds and a head if you want to keep going!

Re-read Dave B, I guess there are some gains with a pipe.

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re-read Dave B, I guess there are some gains with a pipe.

LOL! I'm just re-hashing what BJ told me...plus "Portgrinder" (Joel) dyno'd his engine last week and confirmed the same numbers. I bought the pipe as I was told it was better for the big bore, If I was running a stock bore, I'd do a RKT head, Dynoport Y-pipe, can (THING, or HPS), 2 Flowrites in the lower airbox, and a DJ kit. If it's an 08, get the DJ ramps....run stock 09 ramps for the 09's.

Top Bottom