Looking for some advice on tuning a 5.3l

jbrow

Reaction score
So this mild weather has got me thinking about the last couple of mods I need to do to complete the transplant in my Jeep. The engine is matched with a 4l60e and the PCM has the emissions and theft related programming removed. The motor has been bored .030 over, has a mild cam and headers. The Jeep is running fine now I would just like to optimize the performance.

I was thinking of buying a k-mart programer to adjust the rev limiter, gear ratio and hopefully improve the performance. From what I have read the typical off the shelf programer is really not going to utilize the larger displacement, cam or headers. Correct me if I'm wrong but the best thing to do is take it to a shop where they can run it on a dyno.

Since I'm a do it myself kinda guy my question is, has anyone bought software and done the tuning themselves? How did it turn out?

John

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a tune called "wait for me tune" $200 and was very pleasantly surprised. I have heard great things about EFI live tune as well. Both custom taylor the tune to your driving habits and what you want out of it. A buddy just put vette shift solenoids in his tranny (same as yours) and loves it, he also had his shift points adjusted through the tune

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
Give linden at westers garage a call he's pretty good with vortec motors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EFILive will definitely do what you want to do and then some, their tuning is almost limitless on the GM motors. I'm not sure who locally has tuned with it though, I have done a bit of tuning on it for the LB7 Duramax I used to own, but the tuning for it was simple compared to a gas motor. I wanted more power and simply had to add fuel pressure, pulse width and timing to get there, no worrying about detonation or keeping A/F ratios correct.

Personally I would try to find someone who is very good with whatever program they are using, that makes the difference not the actual software, but at least with EFILive if you owned a V2 tuner the actual person doing the tuning could be anywhere and just email you tunes.

Maybe check with Two Feathers Motorsports in town, he has a dyno and might be able to point you to who could do the tuning if they can't themselves.

But realistically you might be spending a lot of money on tuning and chasing horsepower that just isn't there to gain with your current setup, now if you planned on more engine mods in the future than stepping into EFILive would likely be needed in the future anyway.

Top Bottom