looking for new 4stroke how are they

quad4life

Reaction score
sold my old cat looking to go 4 stroke how are the yamahas mostly we do ditch banging

scottp

Reaction score
I just bought a new Phazer MTX and it is the most tippy sled i have ever ridden and at 515 lbs its no fun to pick up. I am not sure what the short track Yamahas are like but try to get a test ride before you buy.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tippy is a good thing for a mountain sled (MTX is a mountain sled) I run a narrower front ski stance on my Nytro MTX to make it even tippier but I wish it was as nimble as that Phazer. Nytro's are a little more planted. Check out an XTX Nytro, that would be a good ditch banger IMO.

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT!! :nono: Putting out 14g for a Yamaha and then another 14g in repairs over 4 seasons (not a typo, and that's repairs not mods), was the biggest mistake I ever made. Now the wife has to suffer with it. Last weekend we went for a ride and after riding the Polaris all day I jumped on the Yammie to load it up, and it was disgusting. I jumped it over an approach that I was jumping easily with the Assault, and when it landed, it made a crater in the earth and jarred my bones. I can't believe I used to think I had something. By the way, I have a 2006 Yamaha Attak for sale. The motor in this thing is awsome.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well you have got to be the 1% that has shitae luck, my family has ran yamaha since 1980 not one problem, ive had a 4 stroke since 2007, which includes an 07 phazer mtx, 08 nytro mtx and a 2010 nytro mtx. ive had very few problems with all of them, none of wich were engine problems or anything major. and for the first time in years, we did an all yamaha trip to vale this december and for the first time in years i have not had to uncoil my 100' bundle of rope i always carry with me when i ride with 2 smokers. coincidence? i think not. so let the haters say wat they want, but the proof is in the odometer. the majority of the population out at my beach rides yamaha, and most of them are 4 strokes. aside from usual wear and tear and the odd smash up, everyone who has one would never go back. but that bein said, dont take my word for it. do your research and get everyones opinion. sled brand questions on here always turn into a pissing match that takes up more thread space than its worth.

Rally

Reaction score
I totally agree with all-4- srtroke. I own an 08 mtx and 09xtx would never return to 2 smoke. 3000 miles on MTX 2000miles on XTX trouble free.

2 RIDGEBACKS

Reaction score
sold my old cat looking to go 4 stroke how are the yamahas mostly we do ditch banging
try riding a short track nytro it might be more suitable for what your looking for ,ultra reliable ,easy on fuel,and build quality is better than any north american stuff.

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with all-4- srtroke. I own an 08 mtx and 09xtx would never return to 2 smoke. 3000 miles on MTX 2000miles on XTX trouble free.

I'm not brand loyal. Couldn't care less what it says on the hood, and I felt the same way about the 4 stroke motor until I bought a sled this year that is nearly 150 pounds lighter. I didn't know what I was missing when I was riding the Attank, I just knew busting suspension parts every time I landed the thing was wrong.:nono: For the record, the Attak gets 75 miles on a tank off trail...the Assault gets 75 miles on a tank. Gotta feed the ponies whether 2 stroke or 4.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I will agree with you about the attack, it was a lemon of a sled as I do recall. Lots of ppl havin problems with it back in the day. But that's why its a discontinued model. But ask anyone else about their yamaha and most of them love it so much its almost creepy...

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have rode the 4 strokes and 2 strokes like everyone else... for the most part, like a diesel engine vs gas...you get reliability and torque... everything can break.. will a sled that weighs in at 150 lbs more make a bigger hole when jumping....ah ya....

i ride an 08 apex 162 and love it. i also like the arctic cat m chassis. as it makes me feel young again because its also about 100 plus pounds lighter..

Yamaha has had good success with their four strokes and all the manufacturers are on the same path... they say its the way of the future...lol

i think you just need to evaluate what your expecting from your new sled and your riding style and do your homework.. and test ride some if you can...ask your buddies but remember everyone has a preference and they may not ride like you....

thats my 3 cents

Terry

SparkyX670

Reaction score
I bought a new 2010 Yamaha Venture TF in Dec and I'm very disappointed with the sled. Engine braking when letting off the throttle is too harsh and dealer told me I have to get used to it.If you are standing while riding to clear an obstacle and let off the throttle it will throw you right off balance and a few times dumped me off the sled.I asked them at Riverside if they could adjust it somehow and they told me no.I have to get used to it.Now I have found that my Hyfax are both worn out at the leading edge, and I only have 226 km's on the sled.I have only rode on powder snow,so I am really anxious to find out what they say to me about this tomorrow! Overall, I'm hating my Yamaha experience so far!

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going to get a ditch banger,but still want to make the odd trip to the hills go with the nytro XTX. It has little engine braking thanks to a solenoid in the throttle body, and has curved tips on the rails to accommodate hard pack trails like a 121, but still have the traction of a 144 in deep snow. I'm thinking of going to a yamaha nytro next year. The ones I've ridden were pretty good and felt light to ride, and cheaper to maintain

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run my 09 xtx in the ditch / trails / and mountains and love it. Yeah it's heavier on the front end but that's what the torque is for. Widen the ski's or use ski skins and throw the float plate under the front end. You wont regret it.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run my 09 xtx in the ditch / trails / and mountains and love it. Yeah it's heavier on the front end but that's what the torque is for. Widen the ski's or use ski skins and throw the float plate under the front end. You wont regret it.

2009 mtx 180 turbo. 5000 kms of rat bagging in the ditches. I ride the ch!t out of this thing. Never been to the doctor. Only repair is a heated grip. And it's fast. Z1 turbo set at 200 hp and I can run side by side for miles. I regularly ride across lac St Anne to the bar from one end to the other. Oh and belts last forever and cost only $90. Wicked sleds. Not fOr little fellas though

Top Bottom