Looking for first bike

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals

Looking at finding an older bike to learn to ride on.
Only looking to find a cruiser for back & forth to work & a few roads trips.
Like a bigger size to start on so Im not needing to upgrade soon. 900-1500cc Im 6' 225lbs.

Anyone with good bikes for early season sale? Or whats a good fitting bike for my size?
Tried sitting on a few at the bike show this year but that was a couple min seat time standing in a show room. Not sure what will fit best.

Thanks for any help or input out there.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a little more info. Riding mostly highway? Plan to travel with it or just commute? Price range? How old is older? You should get something with fuel injection. Nicer to start obviously. Take a look at the suzuki intruder(boulevard) 1500. They are cheap and are a bigger bike yet easy to handle. Wife has had a 80 since 2003 and loves it. Vulcan 1500/1600 is another I would recommend. These are very plain jane bikes but will be a good bike to learn on and do the job for you. From there you can figure out what your needs are.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I'm in the same Boat. I wouldn't mind looking at an adventure bike of some sort. I'd like to be able to also ride some gravel. Thinking about something along the lines of a BMW gs800 or a Yamaha super Tenere. But I have really no idea.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same Boat. I wouldn't mind looking at an adventure bike of some sort. I'd like to be able to also ride some gravel. Thinking about something along the lines of a BMW gs800 or a Yamaha super Tenere. But I have really no idea.

I rode superbikes for quite a long time (hence the username) and then bought my 2010 R1200GSA which has been the best bike all around that i have had. Super comfortable, ultra reliable, long range and can hit the gravel anytime so no roads are off limits. I have also rode the F800GS and have to say it was a blast to ride. One thing i was looking for was 2 up capability so the extra torque and size of the 1200 won out over the lighter, more dirtbike feel of the 800.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes all Hwy driving Cold Lake to Edmonton or local area to & from work in town.
Looking for a cruiser not a big price range at this time. So it will be what I can find that fits the best & best price.
Also signing up for a riders course in Edmonton so see what style bike I like to ride after that.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The course won't give you much of an idea for what type of bike you want. If you get your license quick enough there are a pile of test rides that happen in the spring. All the manufacturers go to dealers and do demo rides. While not ideal it can give you an idea.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wild1. I was trying for a May course & I see there is Demo rides most of June. So yes hoping to try some differnet models before grabbing a used bike to start off with.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely demo or test ride a few. For me I personally can't stand the reclined feeling I get riding a cruiser. My dad has a marauder and it's just really strange to me to have my feet in front of me rather than below me. I've only ridden it a handful of times so it probably just takes more getting used to but it's something to think about. .

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be selling a 2009 vulcan 900 come spring. I would like to get my license on it first, then put it up for sale.
Can't afford Saskatchewan insurance anymore.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And open yourself up to other styles of bikes too. One of my bikes is a frj1300. Awesome little bike. But it isn't perfect for me. I still get wrist and shoulder pain with it on longer rides, even with risers. It can be hard to find the right bike without putting a days worth of riding on it if that makes sense.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a 98 vulcan with 70k on the clock and not upgrading until i roll it over just to say i have great bike been southern cali and back. These are the bikes i would reccomend looking into they have been around for a while and all have there problems/have proved to be good bikes and are affordable. I could reccomend a lot more but these are good machines for around the 3-5k range.

Vulcan 1500
Intruder 1400/1500?
Honda shadow/sabre 1100<Buddy just bought one last weekend for his 1st ride
V-star 1100

All bigger bikes that are more then capable handling a but of touring

Look for shaft drive as a MUST

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good point. The drive shaft makes a huge selling point. Next to nothing for maintenance compared to a chain. Quieter too. Basically just the oil check and change.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.
Actuall checking on 2 bikes right now. 05 Honda VTX1300 & a 07 Suzuki M80 both at the $5000

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sister in law is selling her 08 Kawasaki 900 custom. With only 4700 kms. Has windshield and grips for acc. Otherwise bone stock.
Great bike handles like a dream and does around 160 kms with my 240 lb ass on it. Asking $5900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.
Actuall checking on 2 bikes right now. 05 Honda VTX1300 & a 07 Suzuki M80 both at the $5000
My dad rides an M8. Its his first bike as well and he really likes it. If you do end up getting it I think he has a set of pipes for it laying in his garage. They came with the bike when he bought it and were too loud for him.

abiceman

Reaction score
the vtx 1300 is a good solid bike if your looking for a vtwin I ride a 2001 valkyrie with 115000 on the clock . can't go wrong with a honda.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after 4 days of calling the Suzuki onwer never answered or got back to me. Ended up buying the Honda with only 8000Kms.
Now to get my dam license!! Plus Ive signed up for a 2day bike course this spring.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after 4 days of calling the Suzuki onwer never answered or got back to me. Ended up buying the Honda with only 8000Kms.
Now to get my dam license!! Plus Ive signed up for a 2day bike course this spring.
Pics or it never happened. The vtx has always seemed like a good bike. I don't know anyone that has ever had issues with one. Enjoy. And good idea with the course.

Top Bottom