Looking for an engineer

leanburn

Reaction score
Me and a buddy want to patent something for a sled. We are dealing with an engineer who doesn't really get it. Anyone here have any connections with an engineer that is sled savy?

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and a buddy want to patent something for a sled. We are dealing with an engineer who doesn't really get it. Anyone here have any connections with an engineer that is sled savy?
yeah send me your idea and i"ll run it buy him meeting him for breakfast tommorow as a matter of fact

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pm rotax kid. He is a mechanical engineer who designs sled parts

Tell him I sent ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Patents are kinda useless unless you have major cash to cover every aspect of what your product does.

Just takes some one to change it a bit outside your design and they can build it.

Also you need the cash to take people to court to prove they stole your idea.

Get a design, get it to to snow and sell a ton and hope to make some cash and then patent it then or hope to be bought out.

Most people just manufacture parts and test the crap out of them. You can get a engineer to look at it to analyze it for your best shot at non failure but to get a mass produced product stamped by a professional engineer will be a long shot. They have to take on the liability of every part you punch a serial number into.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Patents are kinda useless unless you have major cash to cover every aspect of what your product does.

Just takes some one to change it a bit outside your design and they can build it.

Also you need the cash to take people to court to prove they stole your idea.

Get a design, get it to to snow and sell a ton and hope to make some cash and then patent it then or hope to be bought out.

Most people just manufacture parts and test the crap out of them. You can get a engineer to look at it to analyze it for your best shot at non failure but to get a mass produced product stamped by a professional engineer will be a long shot. They have to take on the liability of every part you punch a serial number into.

What he said. At work we were going to patent a few new ideas and systems by the end of it we would have been looking at close to a half mill. And it still doesn't keep anything safe from like ideas

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup don't bother with a patent your be better off just burning that money as you will end up with the same result.

Sent from my Note2

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said. At work we were going to patent a few new ideas and systems by the end of it we would have been looking at close to a half mill. And it still doesn't keep anything safe from like ideas

And then someone will build the exact same thing in China where you have no patent protection.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its also very easy to get around patents in a lot of cases. you can pretty much copy the exact product, make some changes to dimensions, material grades etc, (there are some things you just cant get around though, and you must change a certain amount of the design) and you can get around patent infringement. Also if someone can prove that they had a drawing of something that was made before you got the patent, you cant touch them, as far as I recall. I work in manufacturing and some of my customers design and build their own products. Ive asked several people about it, because I see the same type of downhole tools manufactured by many different companies so it seemed odd to me, and that was the explanation i was given.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like he said. Then even if someone does " copy" your idea that you have a patent on you have to add court costs as well big companies have big pockets and it will be them copying your idea if its good. They will just rye it up until you got nothing and can't fight it anymore

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And then someone will build the exact same thing in China where you have no patent protection.
Doesnt matter. Look at Crosby Shackles, patent covered.... Ching Chong China was knocking them off and STILL produce them. It was up to people like Greggs to do the leg work on if they were buying legit or chung yeng versions.

Your best bet is to produce 8 million of them and push them on the market hard. Make your money until china knocks it off. Wash your hands of the company or come out with another product and keep the first on the shelves for the honest buyers.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try Rev2xheart on here. He has been sledding most of his life and is a smart guy. Not sure what kind of engineer he is, but he might "know a guy who knows a guy"...

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ps, ill also recommend that you contact a patent lawyer. They will be able to help yoi with the ins and outs, plus patent searches and all that stuff can be helpful. I was quoted $700 to start the process when I inquired a couple years ago. If you have a decent idea, document it in as great o detaio as you can, you dont necessarily need an engineer right away, as long as you know what you want to do, you can get the processs started. The engineer can help get it finalized.

Top Bottom