Looking for a bike. Need advice.

carlton

Reaction score
Im 17 years old about 5'11 and 150 pounds. Me and my friend decided that this summer we would buy dirt bikes but dont really no anything about the sport. I wouldnt mind starting mx racing after i get used to riding. So i need a bike and am not sure what to look at. Looking to spend around 3000 and have researched a few bikes close to me. If theres anyone that could give me some advice as to which size or models would be best that would be great.

p.s I plan on getting farely serious with the sport and dont want to buy a beginner bike and then have to sell it in a few months to buy a faster bike so please give me advice on good performance bikes.

thanks alot, Carlton

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im 17 years old about 5'11 and 150 pounds. Me and my friend decided that this summer we would buy dirt bikes but dont really no anything about the sport. I wouldnt mind starting mx racing after i get used to riding. So i need a bike and am not sure what to look at. Looking to spend around 3000 and have researched a few bikes close to me. If theres anyone that could give me some advice as to which size or models would be best that would be great.

p.s I plan on getting farely serious with the sport and dont want to buy a beginner bike and then have to sell it in a few months to buy a faster bike so please give me advice on good performance bikes.

thanks alot, Carlton

get ur self a 125 thats been done out (race head option) I'm mid aged & I don't want anything else your 10lbs lighter than me.. & then go 4 stroke trust me RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT but not on the roads!!!!

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im asuming you can run a cutch when i say this... when you have a to stroke you pretty much have to have it in the power band revs to take off... what im saying is it takes practice to clutch a 2 stroke.... i started on a four and am happy i did.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't buy anything stroked or modded because they are a lot more maintenance, and if you just started you obviously know nothing about repairs so it will cost you dearly when you need cranks and pistons changed out. Not to mention the parts alone would be more expensive. If i were you, i would buy a 250. A lot of power yes, but also more torque than a 125 so you wont have to rev the ch!t out of it to get power. Start off stock and as you progress start adding little goodies to it. Thats how i started.

I used to bike, now i quad. Started off with a stock 400ex brand new in 01, didn't know much about them then. now i have it beefed up to a full 465 stroker that i installed myself. And is cheap to maintain other than parts, but because i save myself $100 an hour on mechanics its great! Good luck with your decision! Hope that helped.

Josh

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a thumper and nothing less then a 250 if mainated shouldnt have any problems. I would go for a yamaha or honda IMO.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would try to find a good deal on a 250f, do some research on which ones had what problems and go from there. I'm about 210 and had a 450 and I found it quite tiring to ride because it was so fast. If you look at the times the pros can cut on a 250f they're within a few seconds of the big bikes. I doubt a 450 would make the average rider much faster. Skills will.

Don't be afraid to do some wrenching on the bike after you read about what you want to do. There's so much info out there.

rmktony

Reaction score
For around that price i would probably try to find a good four stroke. Just bought a crf450 and like it way better than the 2 stroke 250. I'd buy a honda. just my opinion

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there nothing wrong with owning a4 stroke dirt bike a little more forgiving
lots of torque helpful in mountains and in trails.

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man, if your planning on dropping $3,ooo.oo on a bike don't buy a 4 stroke cause if someone is selling a MX four sroke for that cheapn its probably been rat bagged!!!!!! get a 125 or 250 there nice & cheep easy to change out top ends on em' IF YOUR LOOKING @ A BIKE THATS BEEN ABUSED GET A SECOND OPINION BEFORE YOU MAKE THE PERCHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! usually it helps to have a buddy or dads buddy to know what is the right bike. DO NOT BUY THOSE AIR COOLED CRF HONDAS THEY"RE HEAVY BIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on you guys he's not looking for a five thousand dollar, bike he said three thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a honda it dont matter if its 2 stroke or 4 stroke you are going to get more than your moneys worth. ive had my 400ex for 2 years and the only things i had to change were the tires and oil. that quad has never given me any trouble. and all the guys i ride with ride honda, kawi, suzuki, and yamaha. and guess who are the guys who can ride all day then ride home. the hondas. while the other guys have to sit and watch and wait until someone comes and picks them up

Sumit 600 HO

Reaction score
I would say an old 125 or250f for 3000 ur gonna have to get an older bike make sure in good condition and will start hahahaha!!!

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have seen2002/2003 crf250f/x for 3000.00 just have tp wait for the right one to come along and dont buy just to buy.

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say an old 125 or250f for 3000 ur gonna have to get an older bike make sure in good condition and will start hahahaha!!!

ya six hundo ur right!! I ride a 1994 cr 125 and its the fricken bomb. bought it for $1500 off a mx racer guy, the thing is sick & I'm havin' a hard time buying a new bike cause I'm lovin' the s!ht outa this bike!!!!!!! I justy don't road ride!trail only: clutchy, clutchy, brake, taped wide open, rear tire sideways, in the air, FUN!

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i see that you dont wanna spend too much money.. but coming from someone whos raced ect. go get a new bike, 250f anyone makes a good one. your just going to be getting a bike that you know where its been whats all been done to it and hows it been riden.. you said it yourself. you dont wanna buy a bike then have to buy another one. its an awesome sport to get into but can get expensive as well..

but hey thats just my 2c

good luck hope you find something !!

carlton

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for all the advice. I did some searching for used bikes over the internet and came up with a few that i liked and were in the price range. I cannot afford a new bike unfortunetly so that is not an option. Heres what i came up with tell me what you think.

2005 yamaha yz 125 - Toronto Motorcycles For Sale - Kijiji Toronto

honda 2001 CR 125 - Toronto Motorcycles For Sale - Kijiji Toronto

2002 Honda CR 125 - Toronto Motorcycles For Sale - Kijiji Toronto

[media]http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=114716887&img=http%3A%2F%2Fimg1.classistatic.com%2Fcps%2Fl%2Fkj%2F09%2F3%2F19%2F794%2Fr4%2F0483f16_18.jpeg[/media]

Top Bottom