Looking at a new diesel 4x4 who has the most relieable

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason the cummins conrod is so large is because the bore and stroke is larger. You need strength when your trying to make the same power as an 8 cylinder, when your 2 cylinders shy. Also, I don't think I've heard of many conrod failures on ford or gm, none that aren't running tuners on extreme at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason the cummins conrod is so large is because the bore and stroke is larger. You need strength when your trying to make the same power as an 8 cylinder, when your 2 cylinders shy. Also, I don't think I've heard of many conrod failures on ford or gm, none that aren't running tuners on extreme at least.

They are far from the only parts that are that much bigger. Yes they are partly bigger because you have two less cylinders, but less moving parts is ALWAYS a good thing.

Unless someone else has a good reason why the large majority of semi engines are inline. About the same reason they went away from the gassers, they realized which was superior.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't deny theres less drag on the cummins having 2 less cylinders, and the cummins is a good motor.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia.

"Heavy trucks and railroad locomotives tend to use the straight-6 configuration since it is simpler and easier to maintain, and because the straight-6 is an inherently balanced layout which can be scaled up to any size necessary. Large V8s are found in the larger truck and industrial equipment lines."

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your not going to be snapping rods on the dmaxes unless your running 700+ rwhp and more on those trucks and there are more variables to it than that. yeah dodge has a wicked motor and has been proven strong that is forsure! but most people are not gonna run 700+ hp truck. there are quite a few 05 and up dmaxes running 68 mm turbos or 71 mm turbos with 100 hp injectors and big tunes pushing them into that 700+ range and have been running this setup for years on stock motors because of the way they have there injector pulse widths set. Also a lot of guys think they need all the fuel they can get so they put dual fuelers ont the truck with stock rods and bend them all up. lots of guys in the states with 800+ 5.9's running stock rods and heads wich is pretty nornal on a cummins. gm went to beefier rods on the 2011 models and are supposed to be capable of over 800 as well so both motors are pretty tough but cummins is the easiest to work on that is forsure

Top Bottom