Looking at a new boat

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
hey guys.
im looking at a new to me boat... its a 08 bayliner 185 4.3 190hp, 100 hours.
its in pretty nice shape. the odd scratch and chip paint ...wear and tear i guess...
buddy hit a rock though and is getting a new leg put on it and a stainless prop for me.
he is asking 16,000. ive looked online and think it might be farily priced.

just curious if its worth it. are these good boats. i dont know much about boats.
its my first boat.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Any boat that runs well is a good boat so long as your happy with it... Bayliners are for the most part the K-cars of boats built for the masses and economically priced compared to other brands but not in the same league as the Doral/Bryant/Four winns/Crown line/Chaparral/Regal ect...

The price is about right even in BC they are ranging from $15.5K to $17.5K the 4.3 is a nice motor, I've heard complaints about the 3.0L in that model being gutless...

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
It's end of season. I bet if you shopped around you could get new fr close to the same price.... I was looking 2 years ago at new bayliners at the boat show and could have gotten net for 16+ tax and chit and that was at the beginning of season

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have kids or yourself plan to wakeboard and surf etc i would look at some inboards you may have to go with a little older model to get one priced that low but definetly worth it even if you put a little more down on it for the boat will suit your needs way longer and with them being v8 chevy blocks supper easy to maintain and work on just my 2:twocents:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
the 4.3 merc in that bayliner will pull a tube/ski/board....

It's also a 2008 as compared to the ones you posted... he didn't ask whats the best boat...he asked if that particular boat was worth the asking price...the market would say yes......

if you have kids or yourself plan to wakeboard and surf etc i would look at some inboards you may have to go with a little older model to get one priced that low but definetly worth it even if you put a little more down on it for the boat will suit your needs way longer and with them being v8 chevy blocks supper easy to maintain and work on just my 2:twocents:

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.
i figured it was priced right and knew it was a bottom of the line boat.
i just need somethign to pull the daughter and gf, nothing special.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
not knocking it Jdawg... they are a nice looking boat and will definitly fill your need....any boat is better than a towel on the beach, my first was a 1979 excel 17' with a 65hp outboard....mud-duck. she was old and ugly but for $900 she got me 60+ days on the water..

100_3507.jpg

Then I upgraded....

5.jpg

thanks for the info guys.
i figured it was priced right and knew it was a bottom of the line boat.
i just need somethign to pull the daughter and gf, nothing special.

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
i started doing a little more looking online. i think there are better boats out there.
ive seen some really nice campions and four winns all mid 2000's for under 16k come with tubes life jackets. etc...
im thinking of going that route now. i might even wait till spring.
too many to choose from lol. big decision for a first boat.

thats a big upgrade bogger

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i started doing a little more looking online. i think there are better boats out there.
ive seen some really nice campions and four winns all mid 2000's for under 16k come with tubes life jackets. etc...
im thinking of going that route now. i might even wait till spring.
too many to choose from lol. big decision for a first boat.

thats a big upgrade bogger

I think it's probably best to buy at the end of the season. IMO.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
X2

looking at the extended forcast there is still a few good weeks and those who want to sell, want to do it before winter...you can lowball and quite possibly they will cave...

Guy was asking $22K for mine in penticton, I bought in at the end of september and got it for $15K, he didn't want to be stuck with the winterization/storage etc...

I think it's probably best to buy at the end of the season. IMO.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 4.3 merc in that bayliner will pull a tube/ski/board....

It's also a 2008 as compared to the ones you posted... he didn't ask whats the best boat...he asked if that particular boat was worth the asking price...the market would say yes......

bogger was just trying to give the guy something else to look at the problem with inboard/outboards are that if you really get into the sport part of boating you quickly out grow the smaller hp motors especially if you want to add some ballast to the boat and then have 5 or so people the boat struggles to get on plane ...another bonus to the inboard is that u never have to worry about someone hitting the prop which makes surfing way safer

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
thanks guys again. i do want an inboard. i love the ski boats but dont see myself really getting into wakeboarding..mostly tubing with the family.
i have been looking on kijiji in ab. find tons. never did look in sask haha.
im liking that maxum, my buddy has the same thing just an 07 and loves it.
i might have to go have a look see.
also was looking at a couple campions.

2005 Campion 18 1/2 foot - St. Albert Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji St. Albert Canada.
1999 Campion Allante 625 21 ft 5.0L V8 - Alberta Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.

i could go on and on. way too many to choose from once you start looking haha...

those campions are clean...a little older but they look in good shape. and i like the idea of the tubes. etc....
i would think campions are better boats then bayliners and maxums???or am i mistaken.
sorry for all the questions. thought this would be a simple pick a pretty one and buy it haha. too many.....

Last edited:

etecturbo

Reaction score
I have a 2005 LXI 208 Larson forsale $27,000, 260 hp merc inboard, tower with speakers, sat radio, shower, ladderr front and back, beautiful boat like new 22hrs

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
but again, just like the sled brand threads on here...everyone has thier preferance and so long as your happy with it and it works well for you that's all that matters..

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
again. thanks for the info. headed to look at a couple boats today. might be posting a pic of one:)
should i start the campion vs maxum thread haha..
im liking the look of a campion over most boats. but anyways. headed to look at a couple campions and one 08 four winns

Top Bottom