Long Lake area

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just signed on today, the info is great. As I was looking through this site it seems quit a few folks are intersted in the Long Lake area, well I am one of the lucky people that live there, I will leave info on this site as the winter progresses re: snow and ice conditions .

Hunting season starts in the Long Lake area this weekend,so if your quading over the next month don't forget to wear some bright coloured clothing.

Well we don't have the snow we had last year at this time (15c) today but there is a little ice on the lake in the morning so it's getting close.

Have a safe one

Don Clark

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for joining our site and updates would be great, post some pictures too.Will be riding your area on saturday,join us if ya want,just send me a pm!
catmando!

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SOunds good I am just down the road from you. Live in waskatenau and quad / sled the area all the time. Up fpr ridding any time just give me a shout

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Day
Well it is the best kept secret in the northeast !
I was at the Grassland Drags, I was the guy running the radar at the end of the track.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Don, Steve lamnek here originaly from skeleton lake. welcome to the site. Don't tell too many people about our great riding area!!:d

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could'nt agree more. Headed up that way today for hunting with my dad. Can't wait!!

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Not to be outdone by the the Fort Mcmurray fellows, but we got approx 5 cm of the white stuff today, heavy and wet, should last about 24 hrs. Junior had to fire up his Nytro just to be first on the block. You have to love those fuel injected machines, hit the key and it sat there and idled. The north end "Narrows" will freeze over this weekend if it gets to -8 at night , it was 1/2 froze last weekend, but the wind got up and it melted.
Hang on for about another three weeks and we should be riding .

See you on the trail
Don

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey don, i talked to Matt on saturday in Anzac. You should get him to put some pics of that nitro with the new 162 track on here.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve
I will, but did he tell you who is suppose to help him do all that work ?(Dad)

I will have to get pictures of my new ride on here as well, 09 Apex.

The Narrows is just about froze over and the muskeg is tight as well.

We better start doing the Snow happy dance if want to ride before
christmas.
Don

gander

Reaction score
Hi Steve
I will, but did he tell you who is suppose to help him do all that work ?(Dad)

I will have to get pictures of my new ride on here as well, 09 Apex.

The Narrows is just about froze over and the muskeg is tight as well.

We better start doing the Snow happy dance if want to ride before
christmas.
Don

I am wondering if the narrows is frozen over and if there is any more snow. we have a lot at Long Lake and are eager to spend some time on the trails on our sleds. pls keep up the info as it happens.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Well I was out on the lake this weekend and made my way up to the "Steel Bridge" at the top of the creek. I was staying within 20 ft from the shore.

I do ice testing every year for my own protection.

From my area which is bk 14 up the north west side to the creek indicates approx. 6 to 8 inches of ice, but I will say it is soft cloudy ice which does not carry the value of clear blue ice.

The creek has many open areas and if you are not familiar with them stay off. The area I did test, there was 6 inches of cloudy soft ice.

At this time of the year the ice can be ok in one area and 20 ft away there is only an inch, so if you are going to venture on Long Lake, or any lake, a big dose of CAUTION must be used.

Take care, don't push it

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding in the Long Lake and White Mud valley area for the last 20 years, it is the best keep secret in Alberta for riding. If anyone is up for a ride one weekend let me know always look for new people to ride with.

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roadtech, how's the snow conditions at Long lake now?, how thick is the ice?. People should be warned to stay off the creek at the north end of the lake due it's many thin spots and springs. Thxs

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Long Lake area Up Date

Hi Folks
I have been waiting to give you good news, as in we have 2 ft of snow, sorry no such luck. We do have about 6 to 8 inchs of snow feathers no base, it's been to cold to settle the snow.

As for ice on the lake, I have not done any further testing since I last reported, but many 25 below days so we can (ass u me) the ice is thicker. remember what assume could mean.

I guess the good news is we can at least go for a ride during the Christmas break, and then visit your dealer for parts after we hit all the hidden rocks.

My son and I will be bundling up for a ride saturday and will report back in the evening.
Have a safe day
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Went for a short ride east of Long Lake today, very cold but had to go, putting the breakin miles on my new ride. The snow is not bad but you need a chain saw with you to cut the dead fall from the trails.

The lake has quite a bit of over flow at the narrrows and in front of the cabin area this is normal, I didn't do any ice testing but the guys are already fishing so it can't be too bad.
Stay warm
Don

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out for a ride on Saturday with the family, should be about a foot of snow now. Hopefully enough for our favorite crazy carpet hills.:d

Top Bottom