Long and steep pulls

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes but way less emissions over the 25+mpg 12 valves without all the emission crap tied onto it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
friggen greenies

Good ol 12 valve!! Have a friend that WILL NOT SELL his, and he "claims" to get 32MPG empty, going to the coast!:rolleyes:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good ol 12 valve!! Have a friend that WILL NOT SELL his, and he "claims" to get 32MPG empty, going to the coast!:rolleyes:

i would bet he does, no question. the kids grandfather with his 12 valve and a standard would get 25 loaded with his tandem 32' fifth wheel trailer loaded with truck parts and crap. pulling the trailer empty we would get in the 35 mpg range.
could not belive it chit we used to go hunting with that thing for 3 days with the low fuel light on in the dash:eek:

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would bet he does, no question. the kids grandfather with his 12 valve and a standard would get 25 loaded with his tandem 32' fifth wheel trailer loaded with truck parts and crap. pulling the trailer empty we would get in the 35 mpg range.
could not belive it chit we used to go hunting with that thing for 3 days with the low fuel light on in the dash:eek:

I knew those old girls would get great mileage (25 - 27mpg), but I have never believed him @ 32MPG...maybe he is telling the truth. He said he easily makes chiliwack on less than 3/4 of a tank. His is a 1996 2wd auto. Huh!:eek:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Mine are all in the bush :rolleyes: Tow tractors and tire chains :beer:

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 204

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:
Mine are all in the bush :rolleyes: Tow tractors and tire chains :beer:

yeh he asked for highways i think . but i pulled a few side/bush road ones outta the box to.

how about i cant remember the name of it, but some of the bush/rig movers might know it.
south of rainbow lake into the cariboo sanctuary deal up there. the gate, a must stop at security gate, is right at the bottom of amean biotch of a pull with a curve halfway up:eek: i remember going in there about 10yrs ago or so the one driver dug a set of basements halfway up then dropped his auxillary onto the ground.:eek::eek:

g123

Reaction score
Don't care if it's on hwy or out in the boonies...its just cool to here all the stories about making our trucks work up a sweat. :beer:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This road is not that steep, But it is twisty and hilly. The road is from Fort St John BC to Hudson Hope BC. I hate this road you can't get any good speed. The road is humpy twisty and hilly I hate to pull my trailer on this road. Also hwy 40 from Hinton to Grande Prairie. I just pulled this road last week pulling my trailer that weights 8000lbs with my 2010 Chev 1500 6.2L engine. It pulled it but at times it worked. Only my 2 cent worth.;)

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This road is not that steep, But it is twisty and hilly. The road is from Fort St John BC to Hudson Hope BC. I hate this road you can't get any good speed. The road is humpy twisty and hilly I hate to pull my trailer on this road. Also hwy 40 from Hinton to Grande Prairie. I just pulled this road last week pulling my trailer that weights 8000lbs with my 2010 Chev 1500 6.2L engine. It pulled it but at times it worked. Only my 2 cent worth.;)

The pull up the Grande Cache hill off the Little Smokey is a gooder :d
There are some good pulls when going over the Coquihalla. Also going through the Canyon from Cash Creek has some good pulls.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is some gooders out east as well. went to our manufacturing plant in quebec last year, its about 1.5 hrs north of quebec city, some gooders on that highway, long and straight just all out nut tugging pulls. lol

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have pulled our trailer down the entire west coast,central US and across Canada the last five years and found some great climbs.
1)Hwy 97c coquahalla connector is a good pull.
2)Hwy 104 in New Bruswick to Nova Scotia is a long gradual climb against the wind ,no chance for a break.
3)Interstate 5 south over the Angeles Nation Forest Range.The longest,highest, hotest climb we have done.1,200'-10,064'.Four lane Hwy and 108F when we crossed over.2nd gear at 4000rpm for roughly 20-25min.We hit it just right all powered up and actually passed alot of peep's on the way up.There had go to be at least 6 large road side pull-offs.Truckers some times take over 2-3hrs to climb over it.Tough,Tough climb...seperates the big boys all right.
4)Ceder Canyon in Utah is a slow,windy,switch back road.No runs at it and on some corners,have to pray nobody is coming around the corner.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulling my holiday trailer home from Fairmont this past weekend got me thinking. Hwy 93 has to have some of the steepest and longest pulls of any hwy in AB/BC. I would say it makes Rogers pass look wimpy. Both my engine and tranny heated right up a couple times. I'm just interested to hear of some other pulls that'll put your truck to the test.

really??? kootenay park is pretty tame in my opinion, except for the friggin weekend race car drivers who HAVE to get to the 4 way stop at radium before anyone else.

Whistler to Lilloet is pretty gnarly.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took my 40' toy hauler fully loaded up over the great divide by mountain park. will never do that again!!truck over heated and went into limp mode, just about didn't make er.:eek:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how does burning more fuel translate to less emissions ?:(

my point exactly not sure how these guys figure this chit out. must be emmissions per litre of fuel burned or some dang thing. i know lots of the older pickups/trucks got just as good or better mileage than they do today.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming out of Skagway is a good pull. Esp. if stuck behind a slow vehicle. Haines is a good pull as well when pulling a good load. Had the tranny fan for the Allison come on for both pulls but no problems.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not how much fuel goes in it's what comes out the tail pipe is what they look at. North American manufacturers just don't have the R@D time yet. My wifes Golf 2011 diesel wagon gets the same mileage as a pre DPF model. I was shocked.

Back on topic big hills.

Top Bottom