Long and steep pulls

g123

Reaction score
Pulling my holiday trailer home from Fairmont this past weekend got me thinking. Hwy 93 has to have some of the steepest and longest pulls of any hwy in AB/BC. I would say it makes Rogers pass look wimpy. Both my engine and tranny heated right up a couple times. I'm just interested to hear of some other pulls that'll put your truck to the test.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Salmo/Creston will make your truck cry. lol

willow creek rd north of Hinton probably one of the worst hills i have ever had to climb, but thats not highway, also going up to the kokanee glacier, that hill is a mean one as well, would need a serious truck to pull a holiday trailer up that baby.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what truck and how big of trailer seen f150s pulling 30ft trailers they must heat up

the new ones are not to bad. i did the salmo crecton run when i first got the truck,had 1000km on it when i left home. sshhhh:d with a 30ft enclosed unit loaded to 15000gvwr, weighed at yak scale, it ran at normal temp, neither the trans or engine gauge went up very much, pulled at speed limit+ all the way up.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
what truck and how big of trailer seen f150s pulling 30ft trailers they must heat up

My 06' pulls my 30 ft bumper RV dandy. 35.C the other day tranny stayed below 185 farienheight, Motor was at 190to 200 farien, set at 110km/h:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Salmo/Creston will make your truck cry. lol

willow creek rd north of Hinton probably one of the worst hills i have ever had to climb, but thats not highway, also going up to the kokanee glacier, that hill is a mean one as well, would need a serious truck to pull a holiday trailer up that baby.

We tried to get up the kokanee glacier in our '02 dodge minivan. Didnt work, we turned around lol.

Probably just trying to get out of our driveway in the old red 5.9l last winter when it was stuck in the snow! Truck and tranny heated right up!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We tried to get up the kokanee glacier in our '02 dodge minivan. Didnt work, we turned around lol.

Probably just trying to get out of our driveway in the old red 5.9l last winter when it was stuck in the snow! Truck and tranny heated right up!

we di the galcier in a same like unit as you tried, stopped halfway to let her cool down, spun tires probably 60-70%of the way up. only thing i could think of climbing up there was they used to haul logs on this road:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:wtf

g123

Reaction score
Truck is an '03 duramax and trailer is a 37' bumper pull. I've been a passenger up the Salmo hill but I wasn't paying any attention. If I remember correct the Salmo pull was more long and straight up than twisty like 93....

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Van isle #4 from Port Alberni to Tofinio there is some steep hills 15% :eek: speed limit is 40KM in a lot of sections and your doing your all to get up to 40KM pretty nervous in the corners meeting another camper. We came through there at night once big mistake one section we thought it was a helicopter flying over then another then another it was cars on the hwy above after the switch back. It is 100Km trip takes 1.5 by small car around 2hrs + truck pulling a trailer

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From Denver up to Brekenridge with a 34 foot tripple slide loaded to live in, put my cranked 05 cummins to the test. I just let 'er buck and backed off the throttle when it was time for the trans to shift. Thats an hour 85% up. Love the Edge chip for backing off the fuel at presets for temp and trans slip.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went to rock lake for may long, coming out the logging road was all mud and had to make sure the trailer didnt slide off the road up and down the hills. first time the fan came on the truck since i bought it. oh ya and at the base of one of the steepest hills was a creek that washed out the road. pulled the brand new trailer through a creek on its first trip

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pink Mountain on the way to the Yukon...... Not bad if you have no traffic in front of you but jebus if you get a slow load in front of you then your a hurtin unit......

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
highway 99 out of Pemberton to Lilooet 13km of 13% grade in my 05 5.9 Cummins. The engine with 440 HP not so much of a problem. but the trans had a work out. Just get spooled up and slow down for a switchback.

another good pull is highway 3 around Princeton. Osotoos is another good pull. Trail to Rossland another good one. and as mentioned before Salmo to Creston.

Looking forward to pulling all of them this summer in my 2011 6.7 Cummins. I hope that I'm not dissappointed, the 5.9 left some big shoes to fill.

van isle

Reaction score
Van isle #4 from Port Alberni to Tofinio there is some steep hills 15% :eek: speed limit is 40KM in a lot of sections and your doing your all to get up to 40KM pretty nervous in the corners meeting another camper. We came through there at night once big mistake one section we thought it was a helicopter flying over then another then another it was cars on the hwy above after the switch back. It is 100Km trip takes 1.5 by small car around 2hrs + truck pulling a trailer

Ive made this trip many many times sure glad the have improved the road from what is was like 10 years ago. Not saying they still don't need to do a lot more upgrades still. Even beter yet just find a new route all together especially the part along Kennedy lake.

Still not the worst hiways in BC though Hiway 20 into bella coola is as bad as ive seen any wheres 18% for 9 KM. British Columbia Highway 20 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The steepest road in BC i have ever drove was on the Queen Charlotte islands now Haida Gwaii . Its the road that takes you to the west side of the big island Rennel sound. I believe its just under 2 Miles not KM but is a 25% grade of Mud and large blasted rock. If i can find picture of the sign i will post it latter.

Attachments

• rennel sound.jpg
    rennel sound.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 244

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hill when traveling from Little Fort to 100 Mile House is no picnic either. Going from 100 Mile to Little Fort is no problem though :)

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
highway 99 out of Pemberton to Lilooet 13km of 13% grade in my 05 5.9 Cummins. The engine with 440 HP not so much of a problem. but the trans had a work out. Just get spooled up and slow down for a switchback.

another good pull is highway 3 around Princeton. Osotoos is another good pull. Trail to Rossland another good one. and as mentioned before Salmo to Creston.

Looking forward to pulling all of them this summer in my 2011 6.7 Cummins. I hope that I'm not dissappointed, the 5.9 left some big shoes to fill.

It will pull good, but I hope you don;t like fuel milage. Guys at work are barely getting 15mpg/avg 110km/h highway driving and gravel roads

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will pull good, but I hope you don;t like fuel milage. Guys at work are barely getting 15mpg/avg 110km/h highway driving and gravel roads

yes but way less emissions over the 25+mpg 12 valves without all the emission crap tied onto it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
friggen greenies

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your talking steamboat not pink.

Steamboat used to be fun...but isn't so bad since they widened it (flattened) much of it 10+ years ago! Left Whitehorse LATE one season (Late October 2000) Sikanni Chief was BRUTAL by far the worst part of the trip that year, when there was 3 inches or so of snow, '98 GMC 3/4t 6.5TD EC/LB 5 speed manual 4x4, pullin a '96 Conquest 33foot 5th.....it made it but was spinning in 4by the entire way up. Of course there was a stray motorhome ahead of me until the bridge southbound...basically no momentum, but she pulled at a snails pace up the otherside.

I never had issues with it but another good one is Bear Summit on the way to the Alaskan Border just outside Haines Junction, not overly steep but about a good 2.5 to 3 mile climb. Usually a few open hoods with steam rollin out at the top of that one!! Old man Blew a fan belt on above truck that summer on that hill pullin said 5th. Told him to change the belt...LOL He said the belt blew about halfway up as soon as the fan kicked in. He still made it to the top, with the temp needle buried in the red zone!! And that engine is still going strong, with no work required! :d

Top Bottom