Locking or Chaining a Sled

SummitMilf

Reaction score
Buddy used a chain through the rear skid down to the hidden hitch with a pad lock!So the azzholes just took the whole truck!!!

You have a brand new sled and even considered not locking it?????? Many many many opportunistic people out there willing to help you part with it. I lock mine all the time to the deck, and yes, used to in the truck box before the days of my deck. through the a-arms and around both anchors if you can at a bare minimum. Seems like a pain in the ass, small price to pay instead of coming out and finding your sled missing. Cable lock better than chain IMO, I got a real thick one from Costco for like $20, almost an inch around. Fully protected lock so no dirt/water gets in.

"unfortunately" I lock my sled in the box too but the best deterrent is not to leave it in the box. But you also have to worry that they dont take both your truck and sled so you have to consider some sort of theft proof for your truck. My cousin had his truck and sled stolen in Kelowna. Never did see them again and unfortunately no insurance on the sled. So, it maybe inconvenient to lock them but much more inconvenient and expensive if they take it.

That is exactly the thing I am scared of, chain my sled to my truck and then the fuggers instead of just taking the sled, will take everything. So they'd get my truck, sled, tools, oil and anything else that's laying in there. And no Modman, I had never thought of it, been advised of doing it, or ever seen it been done before. My assumption was that the thing is damn near 500lbs, itd be a heck of a pain in the bum to get it out and steal it. But I guess that's what I get for assuming.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run cable lock through the superclamp on the front and 10' cable for the back. Lock em down and deter the fawken ripoff artists. The SPOT connect is a pretty cool unit to small you can plant it anywhere and you know where your stuff. Leave mine in the truck on and stashed when ever where ever we go.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly the thing I am scared of, chain my sled to my truck and then the fuggers instead of just taking the sled, will take everything. So they'd get my truck, sled, tools, oil and anything else that's laying in there. And no Modman, I had never thought of it, been advised of doing it, or ever seen it been done before. My assumption was that the thing is damn near 500lbs, itd be a heck of a pain in the bum to get it out and steal it. But I guess that's what I get for assuming.

Nope they will steal it right off the back of the truck, easier than you think. https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/sled-stolen-grande-prairie-43221.html

Also know of one in the Koots that was lifted from in front of the house, guy was backed up against the garage, they lifted it right over the side of the truck.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever since my old sled got stolen in 2002 it gets locked up as soon as it goes on the deck. Even at the end of the day for the drive home. It only takes a couple minutes for a theif to take a sled off the back of a truck. I don't think its a pain in the bum to put a cable and a lock on it. It takes less than 2 minutes to do. Having to deal with the useless cops that don't give a crap about your stolen sled is a pain in the bum. I know this from experience

t-bomb

Reaction score
for what its worth. back in old days of the cheesgrater polaris. I drilled a hole in the brake disc and put a pad lock in it. the reason was back then the key was useless because you can just unplug it. not really going to stop someone from loading it from one truck to another but. it doesnt allow it to be ridden and and takes a heck of a time for them to figure out why it wont go. you will need a new belt if they give it a good try

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for what its worth. back in old days of the cheesgrater polaris. I drilled a hole in the brake disc and put a pad lock in it. the reason was back then the key was useless because you can just unplug it. not really going to stop someone from loading it from one truck to another but. it doesnt allow it to be ridden and and takes a heck of a time for them to figure out why it wont go. you will need a new belt if they give it a good try

Unfortunately most of the toys being stolen now aren't for resale they are parted out which means they don't give a rats ass if things get wrecked during the theft, I have heard of truck box sides being beat to hell from quads and sleds getting rolled out over the side into another vehicle.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anything it's more for your insurance adjuster than anyone else!If they want it they will get it!Also if you catch them and give them an 'adjustment' you're the one going to jail!!!But it's not their fault it was their upbringing,drug or alcohol addiction or maybe their dad didn't hug them enough!!!Remember your supposed to feel sorry for THEM!!But that's a whole another thread!!!!!

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled chained to truck or trailer, electrical master cutout switch hidden somewhere on the truck (you have to reset the clock every time you throw the switch but well worth it), and if I'm staying in a hotel, a baby monitor stashed in the cab so I can hear when the pricks are trying to hotwire the thing...then I resort to the Benelli M4.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the masterlock cable lock, to lock and hold the rear of the sled down.......I just had a cop stop me last week and said my sled is not strapped down on the rear (had super clamp on front).....I said no it is not strapped down, it is locked down....he said I need straps.....I said the cable is stronger than and strap out there.....he said it will move.....I said try! he drove a away lol.....

I use the baby monitor when at a motel also.....I pull the fuse for my starter and I put a 1 amp in the fuel pump spot.....just incase they figure out the one fuse has been pulled.....fuel pump will run for a few seconds and truck will fire up but then stop 10 feet.....funny when I tested it.....by this time Im out the door! oh and I have cameras in the driveway that make my Black berry ring.....so if I get a call at 3 am I know what is up! lol

but yes if they really want it they will get it.....the trick is to make them think they got it and then it dies and they take off running because of the "break down" they are not going to call BCAA for a tow or sit there and diagnose the issue....lol

I also have cable alarm that movement will set it off or if you cut the small 1/4 cable it goes off in 15 seconds......that way it catchs them off gaurd 15 seconds later and makes them crap their pants......I put this one some where really easy like from a A-arm to the hook in the corner of box/deck.....I want them to see the cable but not the alarm box! so many ways.....I have 2 more hidding things....but I cant tell all my little tricks or the bad boys can get my toys.......

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rotten pr!cks are fast...and have balls that clang. I sold a deck to a guy in Calgary last year that had his stolen from in front of his house while he was packing up to head to the mountains. He had his and his wife's sleds loaded on a 2 place trailer, hooked onto his truck, and backed up against the garage door. His wife's suv was on the blind side, and a full hedge on the other side. He went out at 5:00am to throw some gear in his truck, came in, did a final check for anything they forgot, and went to climb into the truck not even 10 minutes later, and his sled was gone. There was a bunch of footprints around the hedge, but they never set the sled down in his yard...packed it to the street, threw it in a truck, and were gone in less than 10 minutes....while all the lights in the house were on. Most criminals are opportunists...if it's easy picking, they'll take it. Some are more prepared to work for it, but for the 2 minutes it takes to lock it up, I'd take the chance that they move on to easier prey.

Doolvr

Reaction score
Chatting to a friend last night about sleds and stuff and he mentioned I should chain or lock my sled to my truck box. First I have ever heard of people doing this. Also, this season was the first time I've ever seen anyone even lock a sled to their sled deck. Does anyone out there do this? Seems like a pain in the bum and not much of a deterrent. Thoughts? Should I be locking my sled to my truck box? If so what is the best way? Thanks for any help and info!
Seems strange you ask this question..as your not new to the sport..and know what happens to people's stuff...makes me think your asking a loaded question

SummitMilf

Reaction score
Seems strange you ask this question..as your not new to the sport..and know what happens to people's stuff...makes me think your asking a loaded question

Sorry to make you think that way, but the question is legit.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think your ? is valid mf, if you have never had to lock yer sled before, valid ? it can be a pain, but with the riff raff out there, locking becomes required.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i lock mine up when out of town or overnight at motels, at home never vicious black thing with big teeth sleeps by truck. on the truck running around town no.

Top Bottom