Locking down your sleds/Trailers??

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow sledders............

This year will be my first time trailering my sleds to the mountains.............and I was curious about locking my stuff up.

What do all you guys do?

For example, On my truck i put a locking pin in my receiver for the trailer ball..., I have one of those "Street Links" chains reinforced with Boron and titanium and good for 30,000lbs of cut strength and and an equally tuff lock to go on it..........this will lock the trailer to the truck........

I have a lockable Superclamp II for the sled..............
I have a wheel lock to go on the trailer.

It is only a 2 place open trailer so my main concern is while staying at a hotel for example in golden or where ever, I want the sled to be there in the morning when I get up ..............or my trailer to be still attached to the truck when I return from a day of sledding.............

What other ways do you guys secure your sleds to the trailer if you are using a open style trailer?

Does anyone use those track locks or disc brake locks so the sled would be hard to slide/roll off the trailer?

Thanks

Glen
Red Deer.

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WHen ever we use an open trailer we will run a hardend steel chain through the rear suspension and lock it to the trailer.
As well ive heard of people running a chain through the rim of the trailet and locking to the axle at night.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just try to think like someone that wants to steal your sled. Now think about if they cant get it off your trailer. Just a thought, is it worth the insurance and RCMP hassles? This was my quad and Jeep, quad chained to trailer and trailer locked to Jeep.

Attachments

• DSC00143_edited-copy_edited.jpg
    DSC00143_edited-copy_edited.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 36

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just try to think like someone that wants to steal your sled. Now think about if they cant get it off your trailer. Just a thought, is it worth the insurance and RCMP hassles? This was my quad and Jeep, quad chained to trailer and trailer locked to Jeep.

I was thinking the same thing.................piss them off enough, one never knows what they will do next, walk away or vandalize or burn it?

thanks

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just curious... Where did this happen?

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by RCs that if I hadnt locked it all I would still have a Jeep and trailer. Theves arnt interested in the vehicle any more but the toys can be transported and sold anywere and cops generally never take a second look at a quad or sled. The wheel lock is great (wish I had one) but I think out of site out of mind so my next trailer will be enclosed and wheel locks.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stolen from my driveway in Sherwood Park and found north of Shell Scotford I was told by RCs.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I know its not a sled (more of a boat anchor now) but same differance.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have seen truck with quads backed up to motel wall in Gr. Pr. the sh theads just ran the quads over the truck cab. Park in a noticeable area under lights, at the motel door,

I'd suggest everyone e mail, send slow mail, phone sled clubs and have them set up security at staging areas, no sledders no money.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
just try to think like someone that wants to steal your sled. Now think about if they cant get it off your trailer. Just a thought, is it worth the insurance and rcmp hassles? This was my quad and jeep, quad chained to trailer and trailer locked to jeep.

wow, dean... That looks worse everytime is see that picture...... Gonna get me a trailer wheel "boot" lock to prevent that..... I still feel sorry for you dean..... Man that sucks! And yet makes me really mad, that creeps get away with this...... Us hard working folk, loose nice toys like you had, in a mater of a few minutes. :(

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"if a door is closed on you go to another" workin on an Arctic Cat for spring and an enclosed trailer. Now have a 99 GMC 3/4 ton rattlin diesel for a hauler. Gotta have something soon thumb twitches alot.:headbanger:

tonysnowfreak

Reaction score
If the theives want it bad enough, no locks/chains or anything will stop them. I just make sure I have good insurance coverage, and don't worry about it. sometimes they just enjoy a challenge. I have never locked my toys and never had a problem.

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Locks and chains may not stop them, but it may discourage them enough that they go to the truck and trailer beside you, and not yours.

freejay

Reaction score
I'd suggest everyone e mail, send slow mail, phone sled clubs and have them set up security at staging areas, no sledders no money.

X2!

Hotels in sledding towns should be doing all they can as well...

Reaction score
Just a bit of advice.........We have a very secure large parking lot here so if you are coming to Valemount this year and stay with us you wouldnt have to worry about locking anything up at night......unlike the motels we actually care about our customers belongings and have precautions set up to make sure nothing happens:d........Take care, willowburlcabins.ca

Rufus777

Reaction score
Here's a thought, if you know someone who is trying to sell a stolen sled or quad, turn them in! You think it doesn't matter to you if they are stealing other peoples stuff? Just pick up the phone and turn them in! I know a guy who sold his sled then tried to collect the insurance money, he claimed it was stolen. He is a piece of work, and if people start turning more of them in it might slow it down, and never buy a stolen sled! If you know someone who does buy a stolen sled, turn them in! Sounds harsh, but if you were on the other end of the crime you would hope someone would do it!:rant: Most of you probably know all this already, but for those who don't please think about it!There I feel so much better now!

Last edited by a moderator:

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Locks are for honest people you can,t do anything if they want it they will take it if they can,t take it they will destroy it insure them to the hilt and box them in whenever you can!

Top Bottom