LML Duramax emissions delete feedback

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to see who has done this to their Lml duramax. I have a 2011 that is flagging catalyst system low efficiency and seeing how a cat is pretty expensive to replace. I'm looking at my options for deleting the emissions systems because it's close to the same price to do that and I should see some decent gains for the money spent. Please leave as much details like the exhaust you chose and the tuning you went with. I'm also looking for a decent shop to purchase the parts from and possibly do the install and provide some good support on the products. I should also say I don't want something stupid loud or where you hear turbo wine all the time and also want to keep this truck turn key reliable. Thanks for the input and feedback I'll try to keep this updated as I go along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coopers custom solutions.
Vest efi live tuning in ab as far as I'm concerned. I don't have a d max I git a 6.7 cummins. But same same. Sky is the limit with those guys. As fir power. Be prepared to be amazed at how choked your truck is.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2011 work truck was emissions trouble free until 194k and like you I decided to delete rather than fix. I have the H&S mini max with the cat and DPF gone. A small muffler is in their place. I'm at 330K now with no trouble. Economy increased about 10%. Extra throttle response is nice. Exhaust stinks now, should have left the cat.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gm increased the warranty on lots of the emissions parts. The 9th injector and the heater or something with the def tank has been increased to 7-10 years... There is a few special bulletins. Might be worth a trip to the dealer to see its covered.

I ended up hauling mine off around 195k due to a catalyst/def tank issue. Didn't have down time to bring the truck in.

You can buy a test pipe that clamps in place of the dpf/cat, effectively removing them and turning your stock exhaust into a straight pipe. Exhaust tone is a bit louder and you can hear the turbo whistle when you let off the throttle, nothing too loud and the install is easily done on a driveway with a sawzall and ramps.

For tuning, I used efilive with a tune from a place around here I think. Burns nice and clean on tow tune and good low end response. Fuel economy maybe around 10% increase.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2011 work truck was emissions trouble free until 194k and like you I decided to delete rather than fix. I have the H&S mini max with the cat and DPF gone. A small muffler is in their place. I'm at 330K now with no trouble. Economy increased about 10%. Extra throttle response is nice. Exhaust stinks now, should have left the cat.

The dpf and cat are one unit, you can't leave it on unless you go aftermarket.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 2011 I ran 4" FloPro with muffler and H&S tune. I really liked that system, was quiet st idle and in highway but get on the gas and she lets you know! H&S is no liger around so go with EFI live from a good tuner. Since you're in High River call Jared in Pincher Creek at Castle Custom Trucks, worth a chat with him and he can get you a more competitive price than others.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gm increased the warranty on lots of the emissions parts. The 9th injector and the heater or something with the def tank has been increased to 7-10 years... There is a few special bulletins. Might be worth a trip to the dealer to see its covered.

I ended up hauling mine off around 195k due to a catalyst/def tank issue. Didn't have down time to bring the truck in.

You can buy a test pipe that clamps in place of the dpf/cat, effectively removing them and turning your stock exhaust into a straight pipe. Exhaust tone is a bit louder and you can hear the turbo whistle when you let off the throttle, nothing too loud and the install is easily done on a driveway with a sawzall and ramps.

For tuning, I used efilive with a tune from a place around here I think. Burns nice and clean on tow tune and good low end response. Fuel economy maybe around 10% increase.

I spoke with a couple of dealers and they weren't to receptive so I spoke with gm Canada and talked it over with them, as far as the warranty on the other products they are good until 193 000 on the 9th injector and def tank. But as far as gm was concerned if one of those failed they would just replace those components and I would still have to pay for the cat because they wouldn't be able to prove that it failed because of it. The gm customer care people were very good so I would recommend if your getting the run around on answers from your dealer that you should give them a call. Just a little FYI for people in case the dealer is being vague.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well since Monday I have been calling around to shops for pricing and just getting the feel for what they are all about. Quite a few a kind of full of it a bit, a few have been decent but come at a high price but the decision I have went with is castle customs with Jared. I liked that he didn't try to over sell me on things I wouldn't need and had some good input on what would suit me. So what I have decided to do is down pipe back 4" muffled mbrp exhaust with coopers 5 tune autocal with a pvc re route kit. I will be booking it in the next few weeks and getting it done. I will post the results from it.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine with a couple extra hrs charged to remove everything so it could go back in was $2100.00
EFI live tune
MBRP complete exhaust and tip.
Not crazy about the MBRP as has a drone at 95-105 Kms .

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine with a couple extra hrs charged to remove everything so it could go back in was $2100.00
EFI live tune
MBRP complete exhaust and tip.
Not crazy about the MBRP as has a drone at 95-105 Kms .

Is yours 4" or 5" mbrp?

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went with a 5" MagnaFlow downpipe back exhaust with efi and a egr delete on my 08 lmm. It's been tuned now for probably 150000km. Still running strong. From what I've been told efi is the way to go with the dmax. I get 14.3l/100km in the city with a heavy foot. On the highway I can get it down to 12.5. This is also with 33" tires.

Last edited:

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
other thing do a pcv reroute and keep that soot and oil out of your intake tract kits are $180 install is $150 it helps wonders and keeping the intake components clean

Ya I forgot we talked about the pcv re route I'm gonna get you guys to do that when I get the rest done.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 4" FloPro with muffler had no drone at highway speeds. I found it had a drone around 85-90km/hr that was slightly annoying when pulling the trailer, but just speed up and all good. I like the idea that FloPro is build in Red Deer vs alternative overseas or in the states.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update on my truck. I decided to go with castle customs for doing the work, I found Jared was the best priced, didn't try to oversell me on extra stuff I didn't need and has been very good to work with. Ok so starting with the tunes I went with a autocal loaded with 5 tunes from motorops so tune #1stock tune#2 heavy tow 40hp. Tune#3 light tow 60hp tune#4 sport economy 100hp and tune#5 150hp I have only been running the light tow tune and overall I have been very happy with it, the truck in the 96km hour wind on 22 didn't even need to shift or hunt around to maintain 110km and was still getting 13.5 litres per 100km. We also deleted the egr, def, changed out the downpipe and did the 4" mbrp muffled exhaust. The truck is for sure a bit louder but that is to be expected when you got rid of all that restriction. The exhaust has no drone to it from what I've found and the cab is still quiet. I'm very happy with how the truck drives and is working. The workmanship on the truck is nice and they paid attention to detail (for those of you that don't know me I'm very particular and probably a bit of a pain to deal with) I am glad I took the time and researched and made a educated decision and went with this mod and shop so far. I am going back in the new year and getting the pvc re route installed as well. So if your looking to get some work done I would look up castle customs and talk to Jared!

Top Bottom