Living off the grid

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MOMMA, the majority of the members on this board are as redneck as they get...everyone in the Ymir/Nelson area is a hippie. :p

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MOMMA, the majority of the members on this board are as redneck as they get...everyone in the Ymir/Nelson area is a hippie. :p

Haa ha haaa You know.. you're right.. It's all relative eh...

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No disrespect momma, but one doesn't have to "live off the grid" to experience ol' Ma Nature! It is all around us and we are very comfortable. I wish you luck and I hope that when you write you are not like the rest of the "sensationalists" who don't seem to take off their rose coloured glasses.

Any of your pets that wander will be food for something (coyotes, foxes, bigger cats, etc.) and Lord forbid your children! Enis has some great points but you have already decided and are on your adventure. The "whole community of Ymir" is that 20 people???? just asking......

These pictures are just a few quickies without searching too far into the archives.....

View attachment 135061 View attachment 135062

View attachment 135063

That's a nice buck!

Out Back Girl

Reaction score
I'm Momma's Daughter. I'm 16 years old.
Just so you know, we have neighbors, and live on an acreage. My cat was eaten by a coyote last week. I run into bears all the time when I'm out dirt biking. I would rather come face to face with a bear then a murderer, rapist, or even teenagers who are drunk or on drugs. Mom told us about this thread and asked us what we thought about the comments. Here is what we came up with.

Brook Evans

Off the Grid and Off our Rockers. ( Kids side of the story)

[FONT=FangSong, monospace]I would like to shed some light on our point of view of moving up the “Wild Horse” AKA the best place on earth in my mind. Okay so people might see this as being totally crazy, But really its the perfect place for us. This is the life style we live and love. Not only are we going to have more life skills then the average adult, we will be able to cope with any situation life throws at us and do it like Pro’s. People say “Oh your isolating your children” No your absolutely not! If we decide we want to go and hang out with our friends in Salmo we jump on our dirt bikes and Boogie on over to the Basketball court, Same in the winter time My siblings and I are all really involved with basketball. So what do we do when its practice time, we start the sleds and go to basketball practice! How awesome is that,Showing up to school on sleds. Okay now time for some of the really wicked things about the mountain we live on. We can make our own singe tracks for dirt biking! Yah and there is no one to get mad at us, no noise complaints. Right out our back door is an adventure everyday waiting for us to find It. Since i was a little girl I dreamed of living like in the old days my dad would tell me about, so going “Off the Grid” Is a dream come true. I do realize that it may not make sense to some people, but that does not bother me because this is what “ we” want to do. My youngest Brother Sage he is 10 years old. I asked him “Sage what are you looking forward to most about moving” He said “ I can Ski down to the bus stop in the morning!” Do you know how cool that is to be able to say “ Yah i snowboard to the bus stop in the morning”. Not many kids get to say that. One thing im really looking forward to is doing this is only going to bring my family closer together, Yes it will be alot of work but thats nothing compared to all the freaking amazing things we get to do!.[/FONT]

This life style is a privilege not a right.

Brook Evans

Out Back Girl

Reaction score
oh and Ymir.. it has more than 20 people. Lots of kids musicians teachers . Leo researched it. We are between 200 and 300 people. He just looked it up.

hpsmithson

Reaction score
MOMMA, I for one am looking forward to all of your updates on your experiences. I would have loved to do what you are going to be doing but I never had the opportunity cross my path. Maybe one day that opportunity will be there for me. But for the time being I will live vicariously through you and your family. I wish you luck!

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that this would be a very cool experience. I am Sure it would take some getting use to. Defiantly would give you respect for what we have these days. I dig the fact that you guys are near mountains, like you say lotsa single track and sledding.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is alot of city kids have NO respect and spoiled rotton. Wine worst then the dogs and can't do anything for themselves. It's not like she is bringing her kids to the bush for ever, it's temp and I think they will see life different when they get back. I think there are more kids in the city set up for failure over kids from la la land and gods country. Most kids or lazy in the city............Good for you and the kids for trying it out, keep in touch..................

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
oh and Ymir.. it has more than 20 people. Lots of kids musicians teachers . Leo researched it. We are between 200 and 300 people. He just looked it up.

Hey, Out Back Girl, I was using 20 as a figure of speech! Please don't hold that against me for the next few years!

I wish you luck and realize that this won't be a much different lifestyle than you had before. All the hard work (I don't mean that in a negative manner) necessary to reach some goals will be worthwhile, challenging, and exciting.

I Doo wish you well.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, Out Back Girl, I was using 20 as a figure of speech! Please don't hold that against me for the next few years!

I wish you luck and realize that this won't be a much different lifestyle than you had before. All the hard work (I don't mean that in a negative manner) necessary to reach some goals will be worthwhile, challenging, and exciting.

I Doo wish you well.

haa haa Fernie we had to giggle a little bit. The Littles (Tatum and Sage) wondered if you knew that you could use the internet to look up statistics. They are pretty funny and wonderful, oh and did I mention AWESOME kids.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey MOMMA, if You need any info on solar power I have set up a few system for a few cottages and work well, but expensive to start. If it was long term it is worth it for sure, some panels are good and others no good so nee to watch what you buy. Good luck

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey MOMMA, if You need any info on solar power I have set up a few system for a few cottages and work well, but expensive to start. If it was long term it is worth it for sure, some panels are good and others no good so nee to watch what you buy. Good luck

Thank you Mach 123 :)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yo momma. long time no chat

BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :D :D :D :D :D :D :D!!!!!!!!!!!

How are yuuuuuuuu?!! Getting ready for grouse season? How are your little cutie Kids?

Hope all is well!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
haa haa Fernie we had to giggle a little bit. The Littles (Tatum and Sage) wondered if you knew that you could use the internet to look up statistics. They are pretty funny and wonderful, oh and did I mention AWESOME kids.

hahahaha...........I'm not quite as slow as oneyewillie but whole lot older and maybe wiser!

Top Bottom