Living off the grid

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey momma keep this thread updated, id love to learn how u guys are makin it work. Im planning on buying a lot in the blue river valemount area (heaven as well). I plan on building a garage/loft set up to start and would really like to go off grid style, only gonna be used as my recreation spot while not working so doesnt have to be as in depth as u and ur fams adventure. Would just like somethin i can "shut down" while not there then " start up" wen days off and slashing starts again,,,,,any info i can steal off someone thats done it would be priceless, good luck momma

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey momma keep this thread updated, id love to learn how u guys are makin it work. Im planning on buying a lot in the blue river valemount area (heaven as well). I plan on building a garage/loft set up to start and would really like to go off grid style, only gonna be used as my recreation spot while not working so doesnt have to be as in depth as u and ur fams adventure. Would just like somethin i can "shut down" while not there then " start up" wen days off and slashing starts again,,,,,any info i can steal off someone thats done it would be priceless, good luck momma

Thank you scrfce! I'll keep it updated and show pics! It is going to be such an adventure!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to see u got Bigger BALLS then most men in the citys lol

haa haa... we'll have to see how it goes.. I won't be saying it was a success until we survive the winter, and our family is still smiling.

It'll be a test for sure. The plus side... Our own private awesome land in our back yard. Right in the yard is an awesome hill for the kids to build kickers and board and ski down.. The peeps who own it were telling us stories of their fun times on that hill.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about the TV generator thing. Couldn't you hook up some excersize bikes to a generator of some kind, where pedalling provides power to the thing they want to watch? If they choose to watch tv, at least they will be burning calories?

And it's free!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about the TV generator thing. Couldn't you hook up some excersize bikes to a generator of some kind, where pedalling provides power to the thing they want to watch? If they choose to watch tv, at least they will be burning calories?

And it's free!

One of my customers who lived off the grid did that lol!! I'd love to find a way, or if anyone is techy enough here to give me direction it would be so appreciated!

Thanks Jay!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my customers who lived off the grid did that lol!! I'd love to find a way, or if anyone is techy enough here to give me direction it would be so appreciated!

Thanks Jay!

Pretty cool, just did some digging and you can actually buy these things on line for $500-600. ...and here's a series of instructional videos to build your own. If you can get your hands on a working automotive alternator, you might be able to accomplish this for pretty cheep.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have relatives that just moved from Nelson to Yellow Knife. They live now on a house boat, solar panels fed a bank of battieries, back up genny kicks in automatically when needed. Propane heat, stove, fridge to I think. The chiiter is electric/ propane it burns the poo to ashes. Very neat as far as poopers go, no smell no mess.pretty slick really. I think they said use 12 100# bottles of propane a year depends on how much the wood stove is used. Anchored 1300 feet from shore.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MOMMA ....

I want to ask this in the MOST respectful way, and I really am not trying to offend on purpose, ok?
BUT...

why are you trying to tech the ways of "the past" to your children, when society really strives on technology, the internet and so on
I mean I understand some basic principals of what your trying to achieve, BUT, do you not feel that you could be setting your kids up for failure later on in life, due to this lifestyle?

I understand "kids these days" need to get outside more, whether its playing sports, hunting, quadding, sledding etc, instead of playing inside on the laptop or iphone
but this can still be achieved in a "normal setting" without having to live off the grid
Or this this suppose to be a short term experience, like a 1 year thing? (I read this whole thread, but maybe I missed something)

Really just curious more than anything

Thanks!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K so we have been getting more acquainted with our soon to be home off the grid. Some interesting things ... there is a wolverine, several Moose, Bears, Wolves and other cool wildlife that frequent our place. The lady of the house filled me in on the pack rat situation.. oh good GOD!! But if I keep a pile of spoons in one specific spot the sneaky little bastages tend to leave everything else alone and just steal the ones we set out. I hope our cats kill them.. apparently their cat made friends with them and just kind of chills out with them...
If anyone needs a couple of bigger TVs (they are the big clunky kind) a coffee machine, a microwave, and a few other things let me know.. you can come grab em... a donation of firewood would be LOVELY! lol.

this is going to be pretty cool!! We are all so excited now.

good luck... we have a family cabin with 400 acres far far far off the grid... .410 works great on them pac rats... just saying

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MOMMA ....

I want to ask this in the MOST respectful way, and I really am not trying to offend on purpose, ok?
BUT...

why are you trying to tech the ways of "the past" to your children, when society really strives on technology, the internet and so on
I mean I understand some basic principals of what your trying to achieve, BUT, do you not feel that you could be setting your kids up for failure later on in life, due to this lifestyle?

I understand "kids these days" need to get outside more, whether its playing sports, hunting, quadding, sledding etc, instead of playing inside on the laptop or iphone
but this can still be achieved in a "normal setting" without having to live off the grid
Or this this suppose to be a short term experience, like a 1 year thing? (I read this whole thread, but maybe I missed something)

Really just curious more than anything

Thanks!

Totally not offended buddy. By any means. I think you'd have to know my children. My oldest son Leo, is very very tech savy. He will be going into a field that encompasses Mathematics and Science. The others are very well rounded, artistic, woodsy and well......... just plain awesome.
I think it can be looked at 2 ways. A strong foundation of family, survival, and what are true needs vs wants will be established on our journey. The next is independence. To be self sufficient and strong in today's world is quite often a rare thing. People are constantly wanting something for nothing. I would like my children to grow up with a great work ethic (which they do) and know it takes hard work to succeed.
Another aspect, probably the biggest one, is we are incredibly blessed to be on this HUGE piece of property in the middle of complete awesomeness. I think you'd have to see it to understand. I'll be posting up pictures soon. When you see the house, if you are anything like us, you'll get a sense of awe. The man building this place has taken it upon himself to make it even more phenomenal for our family to enjoy. He is beyond excited for our family. It is an adventure, and could very well lead into long term. We are outdoors people and would rather be surrounded by wolves, bears, and clear running water than a people.

Good question. We will have regular articles of "off the grid off our rocker" in Rider's west magazine. I'm not going to sugar coat anything. If we fail, well we fail. All of us are determined to make this a success. With the entire community of Ymir behind us, I'm pretty sure it will be.

Have an awesome day!

Momma and her off her rocker ness. :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
K so we have been getting more acquainted with our soon to be home off the grid. Some interesting things ... there is a wolverine, several Moose, Bears, Wolves and other cool wildlife that frequent our place. The lady of the house filled me in on the pack rat situation.. oh good GOD!! But if I keep a pile of spoons in one specific spot the sneaky little bastages tend to leave everything else alone and just steal the ones we set out. I hope our cats kill them.. apparently their cat made friends with them and just kind of chills out with them...
If anyone needs a couple of bigger TVs (they are the big clunky kind) a coffee machine, a microwave, and a few other things let me know.. you can come grab em... a donation of firewood would be LOVELY! lol.

this is going to be pretty cool!! We are all so excited now.

No disrespect momma, but one doesn't have to "live off the grid" to experience ol' Ma Nature! It is all around us and we are very comfortable. I wish you luck and I hope that when you write you are not like the rest of the "sensationalists" who don't seem to take off their rose coloured glasses.

Any of your pets that wander will be food for something (coyotes, foxes, bigger cats, etc.) and Lord forbid your children! Enis has some great points but you have already decided and are on your adventure. The "whole community of Ymir" is that 20 people???? just asking......

These pictures are just a few quickies without searching too far into the archives.....

100_0556.jpg 100_1912.jpg

Markus2.jpg

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
@ enis750, (short answer) she's a modern day hippie.

@ ferniesnow, nice buck, the deer in the BC Peace grow nice racks but there is no comparison in body size.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No disrespect momma, but one doesn't have to "live off the grid" to experience ol' Ma Nature! It is all around us and we are very comfortable. I wish you luck and I hope that when you write you are not like the rest of the "sensationalists" who don't seem to take off their rose coloured glasses.

Any of your pets that wander will be food for something (coyotes, foxes, bigger cats, etc.) and Lord forbid your children! Enis has some great points but you have already decided and are on your adventure. The "whole community of Ymir" is that 20 people???? just asking......

These pictures are just a few quickies without searching too far into the archives.....

View attachment 135061 View attachment 135062

View attachment 135063

Aww LOVE the picture of the little guy and the Deer. I posed this question to my children They are making their response right now. From a kids perspective. I think you'll be surprised.

Nope not a hippie by any means. We'll see how it goes. It most likely will not be easy, and we'll play it by ear. Taking one obstacle as it comes. I will not sugar coat it. The good bad and the ugly will be reported upon. Camping is one thing, but survival in the harshest of winter.. a whole different story. Kids enjoy extra curricular activities, clubs and teams, we are determined to make it work. In some ways life will take more planning and thought. I pray that our percieved "rewards" are just that. Who knows.. but we're willing to try.

Ryan who has developed this property wasn't setting out to reject society, neither are we. It was basically work with what you have. 100 acres in an incredible location with no access to power. Pass it up, or take the bull by the horns and make it work. He chose to make it work. He and Sara worked hard to make a comfortable home. 14 years they lived on this property, and now it's time to pass it on to someone else who will appreciate the opportunity, and we truly do. I am grateful that the kids do as well. It sure helps when everyone is on the same page. Tatum Leo and Brook have all taken it upon themselves to earn extra money the last few weeks this summer. I had to laugh at their purchases... rechargable batteries.. and little solar chargers.. they won't be going "without" because they are problem solvers.
Just going to wing it, and see what happens.

Top Bottom