Liquid cooled brake sparking?

Roosey2

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 1984 Polaris Indy 600 triple that has the liquid cooled brake and i am having a problem with sparks flying out from where the brake is. I just noticed it today while revving the sled up on the stand It sparks a bit when under no braking but if i apply the brakes it sparks heavily. I was wondering if this is normal and if not then how i could fix it?

Thanks in advance

Wes

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 1984 Polaris Indy 600 triple that has the liquid cooled brake and i am having a problem with sparks flying out from where the brake is. I just noticed it today while revving the sled up on the stand It sparks a bit when under no braking but if i apply the brakes it sparks heavily. I was wondering if this is normal and if not then how i could fix it?

Thanks in advance

Wes

how do the brake pads look? are you down to metal on metal? that would definitely explain sparks.

Roosey2

Reaction score
I am not sure how the brake pads look because i couldnt see into the brake how do you remove the brake caliper to get to the pads? I am starting to think that the brakes are gone because when i first bought the sled the brakes where terrible and have been scince so maybe its time for some new pads

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be fairly easy to remove the caliper if I remember right. Should be two 3/8 bolts on the top of the caliper going into the top of the chain case. I could be wrong, its been a while since i've worked on the old wedges. Pull the caliper off and by the sounds of things the pads should fall out by now. Good luck.

Roosey2

Reaction score
hi guys:

I ordered new metallic brake pads because the old ones where shot. I installed them and when i went to test them it still sparked. Could the sparks be caused by the metallic brake pads or do i have a bigger problem?

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
hi guys:

I ordered new metallic brake pads because the old ones where shot. I installed them and when i went to test them it still sparked. Could the sparks be caused by the metallic brake pads or do i have a bigger problem?

Can ya take some pictures & post them ? Did you change the brake disc out ? Maybe you have a warped disc.

Roosey2

Reaction score
I have pictures but they really dont show anything at all. I have just been ridding the sled with the sparks there isnt alot so im not to worried

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I have pictures but they really dont show anything at all. I have just been ridding the sled with the sparks there isnt alot so im not to worried

:nono:Anything shooting sparks would concern me...... Very quickly !!! In yer best interest I would advise ya to check this out & fix before doing to much more riding !! But that's your call !! :confused:

Roosey2

Reaction score
BAH if she catches fire i will try and put her out with some snow if not then ill watch her burn cuz i dont wanna put a ton of money into this sled and have it apart when the snow is here considering i only paid 200 dollars for the thing

Top Bottom