Limiter Strap

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After conflicting stories, which way should the limiter strap go to help alleviate trenching on an 03 600 RMK

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's tightened it will help decrease the attack angle and in turn create less trenching because you get on top of the snow easier. Last year in revelstoke my limiter strap broke and let me tell you I was wheeling and trenching everywhere, definetely makes a huge difference.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tighten the strap up = less trenching!

Only too a point, then it will have too much ski pressure and be pushing. you will have to find the happy medium with it. As well, you can adjust the rear scissor springs to allow a little more/less transfer which will help with more/less pressure on the skis once you tighten the limiter strap.

Its one of those things you'll have to play with.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iv been riding this year and the end of last year with my limter back all the way off, it's pretty well loose on my 07 XRS 159. I think it rides amazing in the deep stuff, my ski's never touch while climbing and playing in POW is a dream. Iv been going along slowly in 2-3 feet fresh at half throttle and almost get stuck as a hill comes up and can't see it, Hit the throttle full and the entire front end picks outta the snow and takes off, never got stuck and i should have. Also while turning out at the top of the climb, the machine seems alot easier to turn while the front is trying to come outta the snow and your barley moving. I should tried them tightened to see but i really enjoy riding with it loose. Also makes it alot of fun to catwalk over every hill you climb :D

Seems to work fo meh !

Flying Pig

Reaction score
skis in the air can be fun but from a purely performance standpoint a sled who's skis skim is going to work much better on the hill. The reason it turns out easier is also the same reason it'll be a handful to ride when you get into really steep going.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iv been riding this year and the end of last year with my limter back all the way off, it's pretty well loose on my 07 XRS 159. I think it rides amazing in the deep stuff, my ski's never touch while climbing and playing in POW is a dream. Iv been going along slowly in 2-3 feet fresh at half throttle and almost get stuck as a hill comes up and can't see it, Hit the throttle full and the entire front end picks outta the snow and takes off, never got stuck and i should have. Also while turning out at the top of the climb, the machine seems alot easier to turn while the front is trying to come outta the snow and your barley moving. I should tried them tightened to see but i really enjoy riding with it loose. Also makes it alot of fun to catwalk over every hill you climb :D

Seems to work fo meh !

The XRS was known historically as a trencher/wheelier. If you talk to drop_the_hammer on here, he has one that he got figured out, doesn't wheelie as bad as stock and it really moves. You would be surprised at how much performance is left on the table with the skis in the air. Maybe PM him for his setup.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought that the ski's in the air is what you wanted. Not to the point where only half your track or less is touching but a few inches off the snow, thats what iv seen most mod sleds ride like now and back in the day with oel 670's and such. Ill give him a PM and see what he says. Im also running the stock challanger lite trencher, but doesn't work too bad fo me. I can outclimb 154 XP'

Edit:
Ahh i talked to him once about his sled, he sold the XRS. I would have bought that in a heart beat if i didn't just pick up the 08 163 the same day i found his. Sounded dialed. Ill pick him for information anyways :D

Last edited:

ballsout

Reaction score
My limiter strap wiggles about 2" when resting flat, my skis dangle just above the snow when climbing, stearing is easy, I don't trench terribly, and I climb like a mother Trucker LOL. rear suspension is on 2, my front track suspension is on 1, my front (ski) shocks are on the hardest setting, but they're shot and I don't run a stabilizer bar.

It's the setup I like, it's an 06-800-151 doo, I am 200lbs without gear.

Either I'm good or my sled is setup very well... I believe it is the sled setup

Last edited by a moderator:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only too a point, then it will have too much ski pressure and be pushing. you will have to find the happy medium with it. As well, you can adjust the rear scissor springs to allow a little more/less transfer which will help with more/less pressure on the skis once you tighten the limiter strap.

Its one of those things you'll have to play with.

I forgot to mention that too... I run mine in the middle position, and runs much better.

weldor

Reaction score
It's neat reading everyone's setups that work for them. Me personally I like having my limiter strap more on the tight end. I like playing in the trees and doing tree lines where maximum control and stability is needed.

1968chevy

Reaction score
Limiter strap up and change out your front spring in the front shock to one that is softer and or shorter. You want to change your skid geometry on the polaris for the mountains. Thats my:twocents:

Top Bottom