Lights for 2014 GMC 2500 Help needed

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last fall I replaced my OEM head light bulbs with high end sylvania bulbs from NAPA. In any case I replaced one this winter and another this month on the way to Ontario, what a pain in the as* changing these bulbs on a diesel equipped truck in a Napa parking lot. Original I thought I must have touched the bulb during the installation but after I replaced the second one. I read the instructions on the package and it clearly stats the high beam bulbs only last 280 hours which explains the failures

These lights provide superior lighting to Pia's I had in my old 2500 and are markedly better then the projection bulbs in my wife's 2015 GMC 2500. I am hoping to find bulbs or a system that will work as good as the sylvanias but will last. I mile the crap out of my trucks ( my last one had 718 k) I prefer not to add a light bar or add ons if possible.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. 280 hours? What a rip especially when the are not convenient to replace. I have wanted to replace my bulbs in my truck for some time but did not see any real good reviews on the replacement products. Just started looking and thought that LED is possibly the way to go. Sylvania does not make any LED headlight replacement bulbs.

Maybe try https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kits/

Good luck in the hunt and as always, please let us know the direction you choose and how it works out.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If u take ur truck into a dealer, warranty will cover it , there's a tsb to replace the low projector bulb with brighter, reprogram bcm to increase volts and amps to them

Tell them the lights are dim

The 2014 2500 gmc has the older style head lights .
Projectors started with 2015 model year for HDS and 2014 for the 1/2 tons which they suck.
Put HIDS in and a lot better with the projector.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Help
If u take ur truck into a dealer, warranty will cover it , there's a tsb to replace the low projector bulb with brighter, reprogram bcm to increase volts and amps to them

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right the 2014 2500 has the old lights but I will take my wife's 2015 in for the upgrade. You would think the projectors should out perform the old light system even if the old style has after market bulbs.
Projectors started with 2015 model year for HDS and 2014 for the 1/2 tons which they suck.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last fall I replaced my OEM head light bulbs with high end sylvania bulbs from NAPA. In any case I replaced one this winter and another this month on the way to Ontario, what a pain in the as* changing these bulbs on a diesel equipped truck in a Napa parking lot. Original I thought I must have touched the bulb during the installation but after I replaced the second one. I read the instructions on the package and it clearly stats the high beam bulbs only last 280 hours which explains the failures

These lights provide superior lighting to Pia's I had in my old 2500 and are markedly better then the projection bulbs in my wife's 2015 GMC 2500. I am hoping to find bulbs or a system that will work as good as the sylvanias but will last. I mile the crap out of my trucks ( my last one had 718 k) I prefer not to add a light bar or add ons if possible.

I bought the same, but low beam only, bulbs from NAPA for my 2011 last fall when one of the factory ones burned out. I only got a few months out of the replacements. They died within an hour of each other. I have a friend who runs an Autopro and he got me warranty.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure what style of bulb GMC uses for their headlights (9007, 9006 etc) but I put the same sylvania bulbs as you in my 2012 Ram 3500 and have had no burnt out bulbs yet. I probably just jinxed myself though haha. It might be worth trying to get them warrantied though? I know those bulbs aren't cheap thats for sure. Maybe its just me but it seems a lot of the newer trucks have so-so lighting from the factory. With the price of a new pickup nowadays you'd think they'd invest a little more in that department... I will say my old man's 2014 F150 projector HIDs do rock though.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did u read his post, he said 2015 2500

But figured his topic was for a 14 halfer or mabe fat fingers lol

And yes I do know the 2014 2500 is the older body

I'm a g.m tech, hence that's how I know about the brighter bulbs ect tsb

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just lost another Sylvania ultra low beam. Four months old.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is this for the 2015 Chevy too? I took my 2015 Chev 2500 HD diesel into the Kelowna dealership and they told me they never heard of this. They said I could pay for upgraded bulbs to be installed. The lights are horrible, nothing like m 2005 duramax.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this for the 2015 Chevy too? I took my 2015 Chev 2500 HD diesel into the Kelowna dealership and they told me they never heard of this. They said I could pay for upgraded bulbs to be installed. The lights are horrible, nothing like m 2005 duramax.
Depends on if it has the new style bulbs and bcm voltage program

It being a 15 would say very good chance it has the new stuff

The projector lights just suck, that's all there is too it

Just like the aftermarket ones, no idea how anyone uses them, other than they look cool

That's y g.m went that way, looks not function

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're looking at HID's, look into a company online called the retrofitsource...The Retrofit Source Inc
They have some "vehicle specific" packages that come with everything you need. I bought 2 kits from these guys, well built harness & components, great to deal with, very good reviews, priced well too - $182.00 USD shipped to my door.
I just did my 15' sierra 1500 and the light improvement in the factory projectors is amazing!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're looking at HID's, look into a company online called the retrofitsource...The Retrofit Source Inc
They have some "vehicle specific" packages that come with everything you need. I bought 2 kits from these guys, well built harness & components, great to deal with, very good reviews, priced well too - $182.00 USD shipped to my door.
I just did my 15' sierra 1500 and the light improvement in the factory projectors is amazing!
This is a good setup
so jus stick the ID bulb to the projector headlight and roll?? I haven't had great luck with HID living either, what brand u recommend?
Above, never added any to a new body chev or g.m, but the older ones yes

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We sell kits that are vehicle specific... Probably the same manufacturer, and these kits work great. I know the warehouse here has ads on kijiji and ebay, but they are based from edmonton.... Easiest kit and designed for proper voltage or amperage requirement for each vehicle.

Top Bottom