Lightest Avy bag on the market?

big_vernster

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my old Avy bag. Just wondering what the lightest available bag on the market is now. Any info would be appreciated.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Looking to upgrade my old Avy bag. Just wondering what the lightest available bag on the market is now. Any info would be appreciated.

Lighter means smaller, I use the abs powder line with a carbon bottle(only available in europe) and the 15 litre sb zip in, you can go lighter but then you don't have much space in the pack, all the avy packs are very close in weight and really most put more into the pack than the pack itself. Be continue of what you place in there, mandatory gear like probe, shovel and anything you want should you be separated from your sled. The best is to find the one that fits you the best, as a well designed pack will hold more weight than a poor fitting one. Then look at the avy system and how easy it is to set off and reload, as this is why you are buying an avy pack, for the safety. cheers dave

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a hard decision on buying a bag,, had a snowpulse vest bag and found it way to hot for me , went to the snowshow and put on the basic same suit i have and tried on bags until i found the most comfortable one for me that would hold all the sh*t i carry,,

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think of a avi.bag as primary safety gear right up there with a first aid kit beacon prob and shovel and a small tarp. For me there is only one bag that I will run for a number of reasons. the bag has 2 airbags has a very reliable and simple trigger system. I find it easy to get a recharge but have heard complaints of it being diffract in some towns. you can shovel/ride with it deployed, plus one base unit will take many different pack options. Anyways all of our instructors use a ABS bag of some sort most of us use a ABS Vario with a Osprey Kode vip on.

just remember if you ever make a bad terrain choice and get yourself in a slide this is your first line of defence and your odds of self rescue or a fast rescue are increased considerably.

This is one peace of gear I would not sacrifice getting the very best regardless of weight or price!

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive always loved my snowpulse highmark 2 ever since i bought it in 2012. I have tested it each season, some times not on purpose...lol and it always works. Ive ridden with it inflated i can tell you its possible and you feel protected in the head area.

That said i would like to upgrade and get a smaller bag. Looking at the snowpulse highmark pro 3.0 and will be checking it out at the show.

As for any vest system i would not recommend. Ive heard so many stories about guys being to hot and ever worse it makes it difficult and uncomfortable to have your beacon on underneath which leads guys to store it in the vest pockets. I don't know about you but i want that thing underneath so there is no chance it gets torn away from my body.

Snowpulse highmark 2 for sale (with upgraded T handle), great condition $550. I can bring to sled show in Edmonton.

Cheer

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the spire vest. If I were to upgrade that's the first one I'd look at.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
You want the lightest avalanche bag system! Just over 1200gr with bottle, basically the weight of a lightweight helmet.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/abs-vest-cpf5

I have one, this is not accurate at all, this would the pack only without the actual abs system which is removable, or the bottle and handle. 1200 grams is roughly 2.5 pounds. This system fully functional is about the average 6.7-7.5 pounds

big_vernster

Reaction score
Wow that is light! Under 3 pounds, less than half of the weight of any other bag. I wonder if it is designed for mountain sledding as well. Says on the site that it’s designed for skiers and snowboarders but an avalanche is an avalanche I guess....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wow that is light! Under 3 pounds, less than half of the weight of any other bag. I wonder if it is designed for mountain sledding as well. Says on the site that it’s designed for skiers and snowboarders but an avalanche is an avalanche I guess....

Vern, you do realize that this is the storage bag that zips onto the "avy bag" with all the heavy canister mechanism? It is like Norona says in the post above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom