Light Trailer - Mid-sized truck

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So this winter I may be buying a trailer because my 2009 Taco has a 5' box. In previous years I rocked the sled in the box of a Dakota with 3-4' overhang. Hey, it worked actually quite well =)

What would you guys recommend? Can I get away with not having trialer brakes? (<2000 lbs).

I know some people say the Tacoma's pull well, but I must have something wrong with mine because it's not great on power. Love the truck, but I know the difference between it and a deisel.

Also, if I were to go with a flat deck, would a 6.5'x12' deck fit two sleds? (one forward and one reverse?). I've fit two sleds in a 16' enclosed and it was tight so that leads me to think I need 16' of length, or more width.

Thanks guys,

Q

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to have an 07 taco and it pulled a 2 place aluma trialer with it fine. The trailer is 8x10 v-nose, and it doesn't have trailer breaks. It work perfect.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to have an 07 taco and it pulled a 2 place aluma trialer with it fine. The trailer is 8x10 v-nose, and it doesn't have trailer breaks. It work perfect.

Thanks Fallen.

I tried pulling my boss' 16 enclosed a couple times and I wasn't sure if something was wrong or what, but it didn't pull well. Then again it could have been a super heavy trailer. It was quite old.

With this 8x10 v-nose, did that fit two sleds? Wondering if I were to go more narrow, how long it would have to be to fit two. It doesn't have to be a sled trailer as I would use it year round (motorbikes, etc)

Thanks,
Q

EDIT: I was assuming when you meant V-nose that it was an enclosed. Is this correct? I'd like to entertain both enclosed and flat deck, but because of limited power I think I'm stuck with a flat deck.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
You may want to consider trailer brakes and a electronic controller if you are pulling into the mountains at all, even with a two place trailer. Going downhill on a icy mountain road it is a lot to dial up the gain and drag the trailer down than to have it pushing you or swinging all over.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want to consider trailer brakes and a electronic controller if you are pulling into the mountains at all, even with a two place trailer. Going downhill on a icy mountain road it is a lot to dial up the gain and drag the trailer down than to have it pushing you or swinging all over.

Another good point.

I find trailers around here are hard to find with trailer brakes.

My truck being a TRD is also wired for brakes, I just need the controller.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shibby,

You could go to an enclosed and save some weight if you can do with out the front ramp door. Do both of your sleds have reverse? If so you can run a
7 X 17 Tandem axle Cargo style trailer. They only weigh 1800 lbs have tandem braking axles and are price at $7500.00. Come hook up to it and take it for a tow see how it feels. It's always good to have options :)

Attachments

• 7 X17 FTV.jpg
    7 X17 FTV.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 197
  • FlatTopVNInt1.jpg
    FlatTopVNInt1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 197

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 06 works great with a two spot, open trailer. Any time it's the least bit slippery, put it in 4wd though, the 2wd goes sidways instantly with a loaded trailer.

I'll throw a pic up when I'm home from work. The only time it failed is coming down an icy logging road in Nelson, after a misty rain. I rallied the truck around the corner, but then the trailer (with two ice covered sleds on it) pushed me through the hairpin turn and up on the snowbank. Get some Blizzaks for your truck as well, they make a huge difference slowing down with a load.

Keeping the deck of your trailer clean of old snow helps with the weight a lot as well.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shibby,

You could go to an enclosed and save some weight if you can do with out the front ramp door. Do both of your sleds have reverse? If so you can run a
7 X 17 Tandem axle Cargo style trailer. They only weigh 1800 lbs have tandem braking axles and are price at $7500.00. Come hook up to it and take it for a tow see how it feels. It's always good to have options :)

MMM..

That looks delicious. The issue being is I'm not so certain my truck can pull it that well unless there was something wrong with my bosses 16'? Keeping in mind it's old and not maintained. It dragged ass and almost always had to be pulled in 5th, even on moderately flat terrain. I got 10-11mpg pulling it with ONE sled =)

With 2 sleds the trailer you mentioned would be about 3100 lbs. Truck is rated for 6500, but I find those numbers are always exagerated.

What's your guy's opinion on this? Was my boss's trailer fubared, or is my truck really the civic I think it is?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 06 works great with a two spot, open trailer. Any time it's the least bit slippery, put it in 4wd though, the 2wd goes sidways instantly with a loaded trailer.

I'll throw a pic up when I'm home from work. The only time it failed is coming down an icy logging road in Nelson, after a misty rain. I rallied the truck around the corner, but then the trailer (with two ice covered sleds on it) pushed me through the hairpin turn and up on the snowbank. Get some Blizzaks for your truck as well, they make a huge difference slowing down with a load.

Keeping the deck of your trailer clean of old snow helps with the weight a lot as well.

Out of curiousity, what size of deck did it have to fit two mountain sleds?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope others find this info helpful.

I'd love an enclosed, but buying a house might limit me to a flat deck open.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I tow behind the El Camino....can't be any more gutless than your rig. I think the trailer weighs 900 lbs empty and it has electric brakes. Hauls two 163 machines no problems. I use it in the summer for two quads as well behind the motorhome. I believe the name is a TC-11 (Triton) and I got it from Martin in Edmonton 3 years ago.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]

It would be about the same as this trailer. I've had the trailer for about 5 years and even pulled it the first two winters with my 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

I think it's 8x12 feet or so. Iced up sleds after a day of deep pow and a few inches of ice on the trailer deck make more difference than you would think. It's not the pulling that's the problem, it's the stopping. And not you stopping, but the tool in the Acura SUV passing blind on the way home from Lake Louise who cuts you off or sends some chick in a Civic spinning your way.

There's nothing wrong with your truck either. It says 6500lbs towing or whatever, but that must be the flat-land, dry weather test. I don't have to drop below 4th gear on hills often, but it has happened. I have a bigger splash guard than the pic above and it does catch wind. One night with a big west wind west of Calgary, I burnt 1/2 a tank by Canmore. I'd never try and downhill much more than this trailer and two sleds when it's slippery out.

Hope that helps. If you're only looking to roll with one sled, a buddy with a 5' box made a brace to plug in your trailer hitch and hold up your track.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]

It would be about the same as this trailer. I've had the trailer for about 5 years and even pulled it the first two winters with my 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

I think it's 8x12 feet or so. Iced up sleds after a day of deep pow and a few inches of ice on the trailer deck make more difference than you would think. It's not the pulling that's the problem, it's the stopping. And not you stopping, but the tool in the Acura SUV passing blind on the way home from Lake Louise who cuts you off or sends some chick in a Civic spinning your way.

There's nothing wrong with your truck either. It says 6500lbs towing or whatever, but that must be the flat-land, dry weather test. I don't have to drop below 4th gear on hills often, but it has happened. I have a bigger splash guard than the pic above and it does catch wind. One night with a big west wind west of Calgary, I burnt 1/2 a tank by Canmore. I'd never try and downhill much more than this trailer and two sleds when it's slippery out.

Hope that helps. If you're only looking to roll with one sled, a buddy with a 5' box made a brace to plug in your trailer hitch and hold up your track.

Hey,

Thanks a lot LID. Much appreciated.

That's kind of what I'm looking for. Very useful for summer and winter. I have thought about making a box extension, but what I'd do is make a deck above the wheel wells, and then an extension without the tailgate in place. The 2009 taco's have a beefier tailgate, but it's still hard on it.

Decisions, decisions..

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your at looking for enclosed I think DaveB has the right idea. Enclosed and sleds out of site but still light enough for a med. truck to tow. No matter what trailer you get the truck will have to work. Seems these new trucks make all kinds of power but its all at a high RPM. High RPM = poor milege. Electric brakes and dont forget the tranny cooler. More cooling is always better even with a stock cooler.

Good luck let us all know what you came up with.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my original tailgate as the metal started to tear. I've bent my new beefier one as well.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my original tailgate as the metal started to tear. I've bent my new beefier one as well.

That's something I'm considering. I had my eye on one trailer without brakes that was 12x6.5 but it sold. I think if I were to put on sled on backwards it would have fit.

I assume the one above is 8' wide?

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's what it is. 2 sleds wide, not much extra side to side. Lots of room in the front for gas/oil/gear.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks to all the guys/ppl who helped me out with this. I talked to my boss about the situation and he said instead of selling me his sled trailer, he'd just let me use it. It's a 8x12? aluminum trailer. No brakes and smaller wheels, but I'll just have to take it easy and use the proper precautions. Not ideal, but it works and the price is right!

Hopefully others with mid-sized trucks find the post helpful.

Q

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks to all the guys/ppl who helped me out with this. I talked to my boss about the situation and he said instead of selling me his sled trailer, he'd just let me use it. It's a 8x12? aluminum trailer. No brakes and smaller wheels, but I'll just have to take it easy and use the proper precautions. Not ideal, but it works and the price is right!

Q

That made me giggle!!!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Q

I bought a floe protector. Its 14' with tandam axel electric brakes. it opens at both end and is tall enough for quads. I looked at the triton little covered trailer but these are way better. I put 8 pails of gas in the front of the sleds and all the bags and gear for 4 guys in the back end. It comes with super clamps and unlimited tie down positions they are available in st albert at western boat lift.

Top Bottom