Lift kit or HD rear springs?

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I changed stock tires to 28" Zillas on my 2010 Sportsman 500 and thought I would be ok in the tire to fender clearance department but I'm having issues. While riding yesterday, I heard the tire hitting on the fender while taking on some pretty substantial bumps. I carry gas, tools ropes etc. in the rear cargo box and I'm a big guy as well. I have also noted the quad seems to lean to one side in the rear.

I had the preload on the shocks set one notch from the top and have now moved it all the way to the top. I haven't ridden it yet to see if that has made any difference but I'm not sure it will be the answer as it still has the sag to one side.

Do I go with a 2" lift and new stock springs or HD springs and no lift to stiffen it up or HD springs and a 2" lift? What are you thoughts?

Last edited:

Toxic

Reaction score
Polaris sells spring spacers for the value line and I ran them on my 800 with 30 tires. That is what I would recomend, the HD springs are unnecessarily expensive and lifts are hard on CV's. Spacers from Polaris will be like $30 and be all you ever need.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like the ride and all you have is a bit of fender rub. I would trim the fenders a bit. I ran a 2 inch lift and HD rear springs with 30 inch tires. Also trimmed my fenders No CV damage.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what its worth $2 and your time, cut some coil spacers. I will find my topic and link to it.

Also with it leaning, you should find out why?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find my post on here about my spacers, but here is a link to the Polaris forums where you can see it, just measure the diameter of the shock to see if you have to grind the inside out, you can scroll up to the first post to see the picture of the spacer under the coil. I can also post a picture of the grinding inside of the adapter if you need it.

Home built lift - Polaris ATV Forum

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will give the spacers a try before getting springs. I am going to have a look and see what is up with the leaning. I thought maybe one spring has gone weak. Does that ever happen or would it be something bent?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will give the spacers a try before getting springs. I am going to have a look and see what is up with the leaning. I thought maybe one spring has gone weak. Does that ever happen or would it be something bent?

I broke a coil at the top. Difficult to see. Then I went with HD springs.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking your already at the top of the shock adjuster, and are better off with the heavy duty springs. Then you will have some suspension adjustment. spacers may help with the hitting fender, but the springs are at there limit and are likely worn out. me i'd replace the springs as you need to take the shocks apart to put in spacers, springs are then easy peasy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom