Licence plate positioning

Mike_505_SXF

Reaction score
I was just curious about where people are putting there plates on there bikes to make them crown land legal?

I currently have my plate on the inside of my front number plateyou are able to see it and read the plate just fine and it is mounted ...think its legal?

Also what are others running for lights I just have a led bicycle lights on the front bars and think I am just going to run the rear light on my chest protector.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as the plates are visible i'm told you can put it wherever. I don't run any lights on my bike so I can't help you out there, but apparently you need a headlight and some kind of brake light but i'm not too sure

Les Meat

Reaction score
Plates must be visible (not in your spokes) and a headlight, tail light.

Don't need brake light. Bicycle lights are acceptable

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta Queen's Printer: Legislation PDF

There is the link to the regs...

Tail lamps
6(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle in a public
place unless the off-highway vehicle has at least one tail lamp
mounted on the rear of the off-highway vehicle.

Headlamps
5(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle in a public
place unless there are mounted on the front of that off-highway
vehicle one or 2 headlamps that comply with this section

Plates
(3) The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licence
plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the
off-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.
Condition of plates

19 No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the licence
plate is not securely attached, legible and clearly visible to other
drivers at all times

Thats the basics, read the rest for more details.

You could get hassled for it not facing the front or rear but as long as its visible then it should be good.

Mike_505_SXF

Reaction score
Alberta Queen's Printer: Legislation PDF

There is the link to the regs...

Tail lamps
6(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle in a public
place unless the off-highway vehicle has at least one tail lamp
mounted on the rear of the off-highway vehicle.

Headlamps
5(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle in a public
place unless there are mounted on the front of that off-highway
vehicle one or 2 headlamps that comply with this section

Plates
(3) The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licence
plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the
off-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.
Condition of plates

19 No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the licence
plate is not securely attached, legible and clearly visible to other
drivers at all times

Thats the basics, read the rest for more details.

You could get hassled for it not facing the front or rear but as long as its visible then it should be good.

Thanks, I guess thats it in writing ...talked with a few F&W officers and they just said they really only care about Insurance and registration the other stuff is just there if people are rude or up to no good.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran into F&W several times and got busted with no insurance/registration last year, and not once did any ever mention lights, or even exhaust (suppose to have spark arrestors I guess?), I have a plate now but I haven't mounted it yet, I just carry my registration with me, seems to do the trick but it really does just depend on what kind of mood their in I guess lol

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats simply the rules are they are written, it is up to the Conservation Officer to enforce them as they so choose. Some are easier going than others, but they have a duty to fulfill.

Typcially in my experiences, not all in AB, but elsewhere, if you are co-operative and friendly you won't get hassled if you appear to be following the rules. If you are not following the rules and are confrontational you will likely a fine.

The rules state the platemust be mounted on the OHV, (bike, ATV, Snowmobile) same goes for lights.

As I have read in other posts, if you want to follow the rules thats great! If you choose to not find out what the rules are, or not follow them, don't get ticked off when you have to pay a penalty.

Really, the rules in AB are pretty relaxed, I have seen worse. Very minor stuff to keep OHV operators on the good side of the laws. :beer:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is ilegal

Correct.

It has to be mounted ON the bike. Same with the rear light.

All bikes require:

1) Valid insurance/registration,
2) Headlight (60m visible)
3) Tailight
4) lisence plate mounted in visibile location. On the person or in the spokes are not acceptable.
5) Spark arresting exhaust.

Although it's up to the F&W to enforce, it's up to us to follow the rules and show we are following them. Just because some F&W don't enforce it does not mean it's right. They are terribly understaffed and often have better things to do then check people for the above list.

Lets work together to show that motorcyclists aren't the problem.

Bike lights work, and are a good alternative because they can be removed from the bike, but some may have an issue with their illumination power. It does show you are trying to meet regulations which goes a long way.

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the absolute best bet is to go to any local shop and order a replacement front number plate. take the old one and drill holes so you can mount your plate. then, when you dont want to run your plate, take the 10 seconds to swap out for your sexy new number plate.

easy, effective, cheap.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just have tiny bungee cords that i'm going to use to strap my license plate to the front of my numbe plate. Seems convenient for removing it and putting it back on whenever I need to

Dadbro

Reaction score
I was just curious about where people are putting there plates on there bikes to make them crown land legal?

I currently have my plate on the inside of my front number plateyou are able to see it and read the plate just fine and it is mounted ...think its legal?

Also what are others running for lights I just have a led bicycle lights on the front bars and think I am just going to run the rear light on my chest protector.
This is my solution for the time being. Still cant bring myself to drill the plastic.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2769597190100164940QqUQmK

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I put an after market light on my bike and screwed the plate just above the lamp. A small LED tail light is mounted to the rear fender, bike has a spark arrestor and conforms not only to local laws, but will also meet the US forestry laws in all US states when I take my bike down this summer. Not worried about holes (it's only a cheap piece of plastic), don't care what it looks like, and don't ever have to worry about any tickets.

Besides, I ride it in the bush and nobody cares what it looks like...especially me :)

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I did to my CR to keep the law folks off my back, nice and simple...

Attachments

• 100_2458.jpg
    100_2458.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_2459.jpg
    100_2459.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 54

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have always had the plate mounted to the back of the chest protector. Number plates are for numbers if you race not plates. My kids wear theirs on their chest protectors also (they race). We have been stopped countless times by the authorities over the years and have never been told it was illegal. I used to fold my plate in half and stick it behind the front number plate but I was told once that it should be displayed better but no ticket. These guys are for the most part very good as long as they don't have a reason to get on your case. When they pull you over just hand them your paper work (don't wait for them to ask for it) and 9 times out of 10 you will end up having a good conversation with them before taking off. Hell I've sat and had a beer in front of a couple of them before.

Top Bottom