levelling kit

assaultbear

Reaction score
There was a reply early on about levelling kits cranking torsion bars. NOPE. Gert the right kit and you will see hex is indexed different than stock torsion key thats where the front lift comes from. Have had a TRUXX levelling kit in my 2005 GMC Duramax for 140,00 kms, works great, handles same as stock, looks way better.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
40000 kms on mine and like new yet. Don't see a problem with ball joints yet. Very easy to change if they do give a problem. 2012 3500 HD
IMO

Are the Cognito 1/2t balljoints actually wearing out or are folks just rejecting the principle of using lighter duty bj's? Just thinking their upper arm kit with better geometry / mechanical advantage over the spindle may result in less stress on the bj so they can get away with using a lighter duty part?

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
80000 km on my leveling kit( installed at summitrics shop) with 33" tires on a 08 dmax and 0 problems. Handling and ride never changed.

Mikehunt

Reaction score
There was a reply early on about levelling kits cranking torsion bars. NOPE. Gert the right kit and you will see hex is indexed different than stock torsion key thats where the front lift comes from. Have had a TRUXX levelling kit in my 2005 GMC Duramax for 140,00 kms, works great, handles same as stock, looks way better.
The key is indexed different because it applies more rotatal force to the torsion bar, that what lifts the front end, it does the same and turning in the bolts more on the stock ones, it offset to give more twist

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guys the question is for 1/2 ton chev. The Half ton uses coil spring spacers to lift he front of the truck. The 3/4 chev uses methods of torsion bar twist to lift the truck. (unless you get a proper lift kit)
The 1/2 tons i have seen with a 1 inch spacer look good when you consider the rake of the truck. this will add slight stress to other front end components but not to bad over all for longevity.
I have the 3 inch in my 3/4 ton and it is giving me a ton of grief right now. in 4 wheel I am felling a vibration and it will track when under load to the direction of the tire that has traction. It is going in this week for repairs.
I can imagine this bill. It gas been in the truck for 60,000 km of use and I think that front end will be a write off.................. meaning many new parts will have to go in.................... and that torsion levelling kit is coming out.
I would never do more than a 1 inch in this type if truck again. A note on the trorsion bar type lift in the 3/4. It was mentioned they could be turned up and keep factory ride.... not true, the torsion bar is a spring (rotational spring) like all springs it has a working range and the spring rates will change through that rotation. Any where past about a 2 inch key the spring rate will be come very stiff and and not be in it's designed (working range).

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in 4 wheel I am felling a vibration and it will track when under load to the direction of the tire that has traction

Good comments overall thanks. WRT the quote above I find this interesting as I have my 2500HD bars cranked maybe 1 to 1-1/2" above stock ride height and I notice it seems to torque-steer more than I was expecting. Unfortunately I did the frontend lift right after I bought the truck so didn't have chance to drive it much at stock ride height. Did you drive yours at stock height and then do the torsion lift and notice the torque-steer issue? Bottom line for me is I wish I stuck with a solid axle truck.

edit: oh and sorry to OP I didnt' realize the 1500 used coils not torsion springs. Spacers inserted above/below the coils will not affect spring rate (ie ride quality re stiffness) however you will affect camber maybe castor too

Last edited:

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh and sorry to OP I didnt' realize the 1500 used coils not torsion springs. Spacers inserted above/below the coils will not affect spring rate (ie ride quality re stiffness) however you will affect camber maybe castor too

Ya, they do say in all the install instructions i've read though to have an alignment done after installing the kit.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay lets clear things up a little bit,
2011 - 2013 have been changed and will require the UCA with a leveling kit if you want it to ride the same and not wear out . If you adjust over what is recommended from Cognito you will loose the ride in .
Raised to high and it is hard on CV'S . Goes without saying.
2010 and older HD'S you can raise with keys and still not effect the ride to much. Still best to use Cognito UCA if you want things to drive and ride good.

This is not true but we all have a option. The bar doesn't know as it takes so much to keep truck raised to what ever height. If you go to far yes it makes things ride rough due to the angles changing on the front end A arms and ball joints.

It was mentioned they could be turned up and keep factory ride.... not true, the torsion bar is a spring (rotational spring) like all springs it has a working range and the spring rates will change through that rotation. Any where past about a 2 inch key the spring rate will be come very stiff and and not be in it's designed (working range).

Top Bottom