Learning how to fix my own sleds

willhickey

Reaction score
I've been sledding for five years now. I have always had my sleds serviced at the dealer. I don't mind paying since I don't have alot of time to fix it. However as sledding gets more popular the turnaround time is getting worse and worse. I would like to learn how to fix them myself however I don't know anything about two strokes. I have done 350 chevy's and that sort of thing however I am courious how different 2 strokes are to work on. Any advise as to where to start, and how many people re-build themselves. Plus if anyone knows where to buy manuels from.

padge

Reaction score
i am in the same boat. i think the best way is tp dive in!!! buy a service manual and start tinkering!! i am lucky in the way that i have a couple pretty knowledable buddys and that helps alot. alot of stuff that seems overwhelming ay first isnt too bad once you dive in with a buddy to point you in the right direction eg...did my own turbo install this year!!!!

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I would continue to wait in line and pay your money. peice of mind happens to go along way in the hills. As for the little things like sliders and skags i would just dive in. the bolts on the engine i would stay away from but the others i would take it slow and take lots of pics and label all bolts and buckets,

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to ride a sled that was always breaking down and i was always fixing on it more than riding it, that kind of through off my desire to work on sleds. I will do alot myself but the more tedious jobs I take it in for. I like wrenching on things but after having that lemon of a sled I just can't take it as much on sleds anymore.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can rebuild a 350 you can rebuild a sled motor. Sleds are easy to fix and a manual helps a lot. I dove into a CR125 motor a few years ago and since have rebuilt two sled motors and my CR250 three times. Only screwed up once and that was on my dirt bike this summer. I put the piston in backwards because i did'nt check my manual. 2 strokes are very easy to work on.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can rebuild a 350 you can rebuild a sled motor. Sleds are easy to fix and a manual helps a lot. I dove into a CR125 motor a few years ago and since have rebuilt two sled motors and my CR250 three times. Only screwed up once and that was on my dirt bike this summer. I put the piston in backwards because i did'nt check my manual. 2 strokes are very easy to work on.

What he said^^^^^. Two strokes are easy, some of the electronics are a pain in the $#@, but the actual internals are pretty simple. Manuals can be bought at the dealership or online from most places like Dennis Kirk or Royal. Biggest things are take lots of pics if you are disassembling something or draw diagrams and make sure you have the right tools and knowledge (like dial gauge and knowing how to find TDC, etc.) But if you have rebuilt a 350, the principles are basically the same.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got my sled worked on at 2 shops last year, blew the motor twice last year fixed it myself (first time i've had an engine apart) works fine now. as far as im concerned if you can rebuild a 350 a 2-stroke is nothing.

just remember takes pictures as it comes apart it's amazing how u can forgot how it went together 2 weeks later

and why not try to fix it worst case sonario you take to to the dealer apart and the job is half done.

good luck, btw get a sled lift it'l help your back

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just helped a buddy put one back together last night. They are easy to work on the only thing you want to be careful with is the specs and sequence when bolting the pots and head on. I changed pistons in one of my machines one night in the trailer in Valemount. rode it the next day all was good.

willhickey

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will get a manuel next time I am in the shop and when I blow it up this year I will try it out. Are there any specialty tools that I will need.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont be intimidated, 2-strokes are fairly simple. As said take lots of pictures. As I remove parts I always put the bolts and or nuts with the piece i just removed, so you know where they belong. If you have lots of room on the bench, lay your parts out in sequence as you remove them. Cover the parts with rags to keep the dust off. When putting back together, make sure things are clean, clean, clean!! Use a torque wrench where required!!! Believe me,, your cost, time and hassle of a stripped thread repair or broken bolt removed is nearing the price of a torque wrench. Talk to your local sled shop for torque specs and tips. Good Luck :)

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best tool for dissassembling a 2 stroke mill or any mechanical part on your sled or atv etc. is a parts "explosion" drawing. These will show you exactly how all the parts relate to one another :) A good explosion drawing will even give enough detail that you would have to be a dope smokin neanderthal to screw things up. Great for reassembly too ofcourse.

You can get these drawings from part fisches online. I use them all the time.

As mentioned many times above... a proper manual and a good set of tools blended with a touch of mechanical know how and you're good to go:d :d

Oh yah... BEER :beer::beer:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What about us "dope smokin neanderthals"???Should we just let someone else fix our stuff???LOL:cigar:

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my 2cents but i agree if your hearts willing the mind will follow and common sense goes a long way, as for tools clutch pullers are a must and a good place to start

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
, btw get a sled lift it'll help your back
That`s good advice. I bought one a few years ago and I use it for the sled and quad. The jacks adjustable so you can move it up and down for different jobs. It worked great a few years ago when I changed my track.

Top Bottom