Leaking clutch

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 07 outlander 800 is leaking around the secondary clutch. Is there a seal? Do I need to pull the rear clutch cover off?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304990702.919363.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304990702.919363.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 100

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an O-ring behind there. but more importantly, there is an updated "air guide" (as they call the rear cover) for the 06's and early 07's....the originals were famous for warping. Either way....put silicon around the o-ring when you re-install.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
found the o-ring! now i have bigger problems:( i used the wrong puller on the primary( the one for my xp) and now i think i have destroyed the threads for the primary clutch. tried running the primary bolt back in and it is crossthreading!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude...that's bad. Hopefully you didn't just kill your crank. You should bring the clutch bolt with you and get a tap for those threads. Reinstall torque for the primary is 74 lb/ft and the secondary is 47 lb/ft. Make sure you get the helix back in the right slots on the secondary or it will appear to tighten....then blow apart and destroy the clutch cover and possibly hurt you.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found a metric m12 tap. Still have not got primary off. Hoping threads are not too deep in the crank for the tap to reach. Going to giver a shot tonight with proper puller

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a helper...tip quad over near on it's side....fill clutch bolt-hole with water...wrap stock clutch bolt with lots of teflon tape...wind stock bolt into threads inside clutch...clutch pops off with hydraulic pressure.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great idea. If the clutch bolt wasn't crossthreaded:( hopefully it will come off with the right puller

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhh...I see...it's cross-threaded in the clutch threads. I thought you gooned the crank threads with the tip of the puller. Well...good luck!

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope. You were correct on the crank threads! Now I understand what you meant with the water!!

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
primary is off! threads are tapped and are good!! new "air guide" on order. everything worked out so far. thanks dave:beer::beer:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool man. Any questions...just post 'em up...there's always someone on the site that has wrecked stuff before you that can help. hahaha.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an O-ring behind there. but more importantly, there is an updated "air guide" (as they call the rear cover) for the 06's and early 07's....the originals were famous for warping. Either way....put silicon around the o-ring when you re-install.

If you're going to be switching Air Guides I would look into the one from the XMR. It come with twice as many bolts which should help with the warpage but you've also got to replace the cover as well. The price from BRP isn't horribly expensive to do this either, although I can't remember what it is!

SKEGNSNOW

Reaction score
But then he has to buy the outer cover too, which will bring the price up. They are still on B/O too....

Top Bottom