Le sigh.. its sat and my bikes apart.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make a long story short.

I ordered a Carb and got it shipped Greyhound thinking yea i can pick it up sat.

then i find out Whitecourts greyhound isn't open on sat. sadness. another weekend bites the dust :/

hopefully i have this thing tuned for next weekend.

My Innovate LM-2 Should be back from warranty Monday so at least i get both parts same day..

hate missing weekends to ride. summers to damn short to be wrenching.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to jack this thread, but how usefull is the Innovate? I have been toying with the idea of getting one to tune the vdi better>

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to jack this thread, but how usefull is the Innovate? I have been toying with the idea of getting one to tune the vdi better>

VERY useful for carburetion, also good for EFI as you can tune your fuel ratio through the band by programming your ECU/CDI.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I do not know how good they are. people swear by them but mind bricked solid after 5min of use .. didn't even have it calibrated yet and it locked up.

Innovate took it into RMA and reprogrammed it for me i sure hope it doesnt do it again.

as far as usefulness ..

Well it can do alot . it can read wideband A/f - you can plug RPM readings into it. it data logs this so you can print out the chart later .

also it can clear trouble codes and do OBD reading on any vehical. " it can plug into your vehicle and read its computer while it runs"

guys use them from reading carb A/F to reading Trany oil tems - Supercharger lean outs .. you name it. it seems to be a good unit if it had not locked on me already.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as far as the carb goes.

basically it came down to this.

FCR- wont fit. and doesn't handle altitude changes well most tuners wont admit that unless you ask them directly. but 2000feet is about its max before showing signs of altitude problems.

Mikuni 45mm - has the same altitude issues and doesn't seem to hold adjustments for some reason.

Edelbrock - "what i went with" you may not get it perfect at high RPM's "past my rev limiter" but it adjusts to altitude well most peoples problems are because they try one needle and give up or have float problems and give up. other than that alot of baja racers use them from 0 feet to 10.000 feet and at most make 2 adjustments to make them run properly "adjustments outside of the carb no taking it apart" all you do is hold throttle open and turn a nob on top the carb to make altitude adjustments.

so it came down to superior tuning for someone who rides from 2000-9000 feet and has to change internal jets every 2000 feet or superior altitude dependability at those ranges with little to no changes and no taking the carb apart.

At this point the prospect of having to totally re jet for say the rocky mountain camp out wasn't looking to good to me. last year my bike ran like crap up there i was told it would be the same deal if i didn't re jet the FCR by one of their top people.. that's all i needed to know to make my decision.

1-2 hp at the price of adjust-ability is a compromise im willing to take.

so i will give it a honest review.

and like i say i would have needed to get a custom tank to fit the throttle cable of a FCR under my tank.

Top Bottom