LBZ/LMM Duramax vs. 6.4L Powerstroke

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a "newer" diesel with between 100k and 150k.... Don't really care which beats which in a drag race, but any real world experience (first-hand knowledge) would be appreciated. The biggest concern would be reliability, of course. Hear lots of horror stories about trucks... but on the internet one rarely hears the good. Any emissions stuff would be removed ASAP... I believe the DPF in newer trucks is probably a huge contributor to reliability issues... Hopefully this doesn't turn into a brand war, thanks..

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an 08 Dirtymax and love it! Its got the DPF deleted,AFE intake and Edge programmer. If i drive like a white man ill avreage about 22MPG which i think is great for a truck that size!
The truck has great pulling power and as im sure you know by being a gm owner it rides pretty nice.
Friend of mine owns an 08 Super Duty and loves it too! The truck was pretty hard on fuel at first but than he also did the DPF delete and chipped it and from wheat he said he gained about 4MPG, The only thing I found with the Ford is that it rides a bit rougher but each their own i suppose.

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
well it depends what your looking to spend ive driven them all but im all about Dodge. interiors and style are great cummins is by far the best engine around for diesels you can run 45PSI boost in a dodge all day and not have to worrie , ive had a '06 5.9 and it would pull anything, i currantly have a '11 ram 3500 and its deleted runs awasome again will pull anything... like you said EGR and DPF is bad news, im a HD diesel tech by trade and you would not imagine the soot build up. Im not a ford fan at all everything is "cheap" about them everything is plastic and rattles appart.... no good, Head gaskets are issues, along with injectors . chev is ok but the front ends are NFG and injector probs with new ones cause too much soot build up with egr, Both ford and chev trucks run pig urin " Diesel exhaust fluid, selective catalyst" ram non of that crap on it. but your call lol

colin

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a fair number of friends with superduties having expensive repair bills involving removing the cab. Having to remove the cab to perform engine work is beyond ridiculous and also means you cant do it yourself. I have an all stock 07 duramax and its been a really great truck. 180K with original brake pads only thing I've had to do is a recent glowplug controller(which cooked all 8 gp's...all parts can be sourced online for <$300) and the ever popular leaky tranny line issue. Tranny line will be handled this spring with a permanent fix. No more parking on the street!! :cheer2:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havent seen any major issues really with the lmm chevs! once the dpf/egr crap is deleted the truck runs great lots of guys with well over 200,000 km's with no issues on there dmaxes. the ford 6.4 is good as well take the emmissions off and it is a great truck it also has the superior tranny and fuel system that dodge and chev do not have! and dodge and chev guys there is no way your allison or 68 rfe tranny is gonna hold close to 700 rwhp with out going bang! same with the fuel end of things 621 rwhp on an h&s tuned 6.4 w/no airdog or fass pump and does not throw a rail code and it has over 150,000 miles on it! I know my dmax kicked a low rail code with my truck only running 500 rwhp before the air dog was installed! Not bashing dodge there motors are superior motors in the diesel industry that is forsure! but the lbz/lmm are very strong competitors and that 6.4 is a pretty mean motor as well! removing the cabs really arent that bad at all yes a pain but once cab is removed it is nice to work on the motors. watched the alligator diesel boys do a bunch of 6.0's heads and egr deletes they said really wasnt much work I even watched them take one off quite entertaining lol! I do say the fords interior is the nicest dodges is pretty nice then chev I'm not a big fan of my gmc interior but I love the fords and dodges!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and with the "pig urin" thats only on the lml not the lbz or lmm and you can delete the UREA at the same time as you delete the dpf and egr. you can also use the urea tank and plumb it in to make a nice holding tank for your water methanol kit!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My money would probably be an LBZ. I prefer the newer body style with the LMM but in the classic body style the interior seems to hold up better. less electronic bugs and fewer rattles from my experience. The Ford has a much tougher front end though. Sometimes I think they used minivan ball joints and tie rods in the chevys.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And it's only fords 6.7L superduty that uses urea also, not the 6.4L.

I have a stock 6.4L and it's been a pretty good truck so far. Good power and pulls loads great. Looking at doing the DPF delete sometime in spring now that my warranty is up to help with fuel mileage. Getting 15-18 mpg depending on how long I idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had one of each, had an f350 with the 6.4 and now have the duramax, is the newer body style so not an lbz. both had there good points but if find the duramax to be a better pullling truck hands down and the mileage is also better.

muddmadness

Reaction score
took two 2010 6.4's one king ranch the other cabellla's from edmonton to canmore. Fill up $100. Canmore to Calgary then to Sundre. Fill up $100. Sundre to Edmonton Fill up $80. Great truck to ride in but just makes a bunch of noise and whistling with no real jam and mileage is horrible. 115 kph the whole time with both trucks and averaged 14 mpg. I didnt think this was a debate duramax vs a 6.4. Duramax has it in every single way possible. can you even get 200,000 out of a 6.4 before they start on fire or melt down. our '09 duramax, emissions stripped has 350,000kms and still runs and pulls stong making 22mpg on the highway at 115. Is everyone crossing their fingers that the 6.7 will be the first decent diesel to be put in a Ford. By the way i do have 2 fords sitting in the lot f-450's.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree, just got rid of my 08 super duty for a 2011 duramax, so far seeing way better fuel mileage in the duramax, even compared to the super duty with DPF delete. Also way smoother shifting in the duramax. So far very happy with the upgrade, only fault is the room in the cab, the duramax is smaller for sure.

i have had one of each, had an f350 with the 6.4 and now have the duramax, is the newer body style so not an lbz. both had there good points but if find the duramax to be a better pullling truck hands down and the mileage is also better.

TRAV

Reaction score
I'm deffinately a duramax fan, can't really tell you anything about the fords. I'm also a mechanic at the GM dealer, so I can tell you anything you want to know about GM problems. I also own an 06 LBZ duramax and have since it was new. From what I've seen and heard the Duramax gets better mileage. I like the interior of the LMM better than the LBZ and they are good with DPF removed. I've done lots of DPF deletes on the chevys with no problems, and always better mileage. If you have any questions, just ask

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm deffinately a duramax fan, can't really tell you anything about the fords. I'm also a mechanic at the GM dealer, so I can tell you anything you want to know about GM problems. I also own an 06 LBZ duramax and have since it was new. From what I've seen and heard the Duramax gets better mileage. I like the interior of the LMM better than the LBZ and they are good with DPF removed. I've done lots of DPF deletes on the chevys with no problems, and always better mileage. If you have any questions, just ask

Common problems?

Sent from my eYefone using Tapatalk

TRAV

Reaction score
The LBZ has been a really good motor, maybe done acouple injectors total, not like set after set in the LB7. Seen very few head gasket failures. Seen some turbo vane position sensors fail. Not much common stuff. Change fuel filter regularly, they don't like dirty fuel or water.... EGR valves, have some problems with sticking. Transfercase pump rub problem, not that common but sometimes happens. Some front end stuff, mostly inner tie rod ends, upper ball joints. With my truck I've done 2 sets of inner tie rod ends and a pitman arm in 120 000KM, and it sees over half on gravel or worse roads. The LMM has been good too, except lots of problems with DPF system. Remove it and you'd be good. Chassis is idential to the earlier one except transfercase is different, has been pretty good. Seen turbo vane position sensors also, barely any injectors and only head gaskets on 5500s

Top Bottom